Question 40 or 50 lb wing for doubles? And what about (future) stage tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JoeTPhilly fresh or salt? The spec buoyancy of -8.4 lb in seawater for a full HP100 should be adjusted by 2.4% of it's dry weight for fresh water use: -19.5 lb for the pair.

Are you sure on the bands/manifold? Mine are -11 lb, though will obviously vary some.

Drysuit or wetsuit? AL80s make a lot of sense for the latter. HP100s do not.

Yes, any additional lead on a weight belt is a good call and also gives options to handle a drysuit flood. Switching to an AL plate shifts ballast away from the rig to the belt if needed.
It would be for both fresh and salt. The 19.5lbs seems high though but I get the point. As to the bands/manifolds I was just guesstimating. I figured the tanks already reflect valves in the specs so the isolator piping and bands would be about -5 more. It would be drysuit. I know not to dive steels in a wetsuit.

I am researching this because I did Fundamentals in a recreational setup. I am looking into the drysuit primer and a GUE instructor recommended doing the drysuit primer in doubles to prepare for the tec upgrade.

When I surfaced, the seas were running about 8' with a few 10' rollers in the mix. Things with other divers had gone a little south, so I had to wait maybe 15 min for the pickup. Even with my 60lb wing fully inflated, I couldn't reach the top of the bigger waves and the wave crests would go over my head. I found that with a well-timed kick, I could keep my head above the surface with each wave. I had my regulator in and plenty of gas, so even if my head went under, it was more of an annoyance than anything. But, if I had only had my 45lb wing, things would have been a lot scarier.

This is it, all the rest is bull s**t

It looks like the Hydros 50 would be a safe purchase. The only remaining question is: which color?
1675021682602.png

If I don't choose black, will the other kids in 'tech class' laugh at me? :oops:

I wouldn’t do white. Would probably get dirty really quickly!

I am picking between yellow (eying some fins to match), blue, pink, dark grey, or (yes, I know) black. If they had orange... would suit me perfectly, being a dutchy.

I am picking between yellow (eying some fins to match), blue, pink, dark grey, or (yes, I know) black. If they had orange... would suit me perfectly, being a dutchy.
Pink?

I find a good way to add color to my rig/gear is with colored bungee or paracord. Bungee strap on both Perdix. Paracord leashes on SM tanks. Bungee as retainer for corrugated inflator hose, that sort of thing. My color is purple. Several friends have the same CCR or SM rigs, but we can easily tell them apart with my purple.

Also orange is the last color to fade in depth, or so I've heard.

choosing between visibility and don't look like crap after a few dives will be tough. I guess I will go with Red, then multicam. realistically, probably will go with black or darkgray, just to minimized maintenance. Reason is tank color will stand out already, the light silver steel tanks, or the shiny stainless steel bands, or even reflective stickers on tanks/bands.

For size, I have been using 40lb for double HP100/LP80 plus 1 AL80 bottle. I don't remember I ever wish I need more. Drysuit here

I need a little advice on wing size for my backplate that I'm putting together. I recently purchased a Backplate and harness to replace my worn out Zeagle Vest/BC. I then bought a brand new Scubapro XTek BC wing off eBay that was listed as a 28lb wing. When I received it I found that it's actually a 60lb/28kg wing and the seller listed it as 28lbs. Anyway, I don't dive doubles, mostly Alum.80's and Steel 100's. This Wing has the bungie cord that wraps around the wings to keep it from "Tacoing" and reduce drag. I'm a 6'4", 240#, Wetsuit diver that tends to carry a 13 cu.ft. pony bottle on most dives. What's your opinions?

Thanks ..... JP ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom