How much BC lift do I require?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thankyou for the idea there ericfine50 but i havnt got the time or the experience to mess about building my own rig. But i will be using singles and doubles and want a system wich will suit both.

Has anyone tried the custom divers wings?

Argh! iv just been to look at the halcyon site its all going over the top of my head pfff. Besides Halcyon say that tank mounted counterweights (?) are critical in achieving surface positioning?? I do like the idea of using only enough lift for the dive though, being streamlined is another factor i think important. I havnt a clue about backplates/harneses and bladders etc ...all i have had experience with is back inflation BC's. Help ! the cash is burning a hole in my pocket and i start my deep diving course in a week. Cheers guys.

P.S. Is anyone familiar with Halcyon? prices and UK suppliers etc

Aegir,

Calm down, its not that hard. The counter weights are for people that are using Al 80 singles. For doubles you will not need them. If you have a drysuit that has pockets on the legs, use them and don't put a pocket on the harness.

The backplate/Harness with a wing is the simplest rig. Pick up a fully rigged BP/Harness from DR,Halcyon,EE, and get a wing that is 55 or 65 lb. for doubles and take your deep course. When you go to a single, get a smaller wing and STA. That is it. No worries.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Eric

PS- Rigging your own harness takes about 20 minutes. What type of Deep class are you doing?

Thanks for the swift reply ericfine, i am doing the PADI deep diver speciality then a BSAC cert to 50 metres.I must admit the single tank setup on this page looks great http://www.halcyon.net/mc/05mc.shtml
How much do these things cost. I cant find a single Halcyon dealer in the UK that are on the web or within 300 miles of here. I think i might opt for the diverite wings for doubles but i cant find any prices on the web for diverite either. My local diveshop said that they can get diverite , but if i order i am obligated to buy. I am not sure then if i will be able to afford 2 different bladders for single and double tanks. I maywell be diving with AL 80s....i rent my tanks and sometimes you have little choice over what tank type you can rent. So first of all i need some prices to ascertain whether i can afford two bladder or not. So i will go now and phone around to see if i can find a dealer and some prices.

Ok i am back, i found some prices. It seems that i am looking at around 400 pounds stirling ( $590 ). So far i think i am leaning towards the transpac II since it can be used with single or double tanks. However i still think that the diverite transpac II is overkill for single tank dives. Does anyone know if diverite do a smaller bladder with around 24-30 ibs of lift for single tank dives?

Anymore help on this dilemma would be great by the way, thanks guys , please keep the suggestions coming. :)

P.S. How do you pronounce Halcyon?

The Transpac has weight integration as an option. DR also sells pockets for the Transpac that are suitable for a backplate/harness as well. They also sell leg pockets. Both the backplate/harness and the Transpac (and I'm sure the Halcyon, though I'm not as familiar with theirs) are highly customizable - and can be rigged to suit the mission.
Rick

It is pronounced Hal-c-oyn (Halcyon). The web site has a us price list and you can order direct from them. Call Extreme Exposure at their 800 number.

You can also look for BP/Harness made by UK companies.

Eric

Aeger

Eric is right about harness rigging taking only a short time. It is far simpler than even a picture of a rigged backplate makes it look. In fact, there is a website I remember seeing a while ago that had pictures and a complete summary on how to rig a backplate etc. I'll see if I can find it.
As far as wings, you should have no problem finding smaller wings for singles. (Pioneer single or travel/trek wings). I have not used the transpac II, but I would assume that the halcyon wings would fit it just as well as the diverite wings(please correct me if I'm wrong transpac users).
If you want to save money on things and are handy with metal, making the single tank adapter out of stainless is really simple (As is making a backplate for that matter). You would need a local machine shop to properly bend it for you though.
Bottom line Aeger, it would probably be a good idea to try both general setups (Transpac II and Backplate/harness) before buying. I know people who swear by one or the other, so its worth trying. I know your class is coming up quickly. Can you arrange something with the instructor etc, to help you decide?
As far as weight integration..I can't help you there. None of my setups have ever had that option, so I don't miss it.

Thanks bioguy. Well after doing some extensive reading on the subject I think I will go for either the diverite setup or the halcyon (pronounced halsyon???) However I can't find any reviews about halcyon gear and I dont know anyone who uses it so I havn't got any idea of it's quality. But I do like the idea of being as hydrodynamic as possible and the halcyon wings which don't have bungee cord retention (which causes vortex drag apparently) certainly seem slick. Unfortuanatly my local dive shop is too expensive. For example they are asking 570 pounds stirling for an apex TX100 with TX40 octo. The same rig at most other places is 320. I will speak to my instructor about the wing setup and hopefully they can help.

If anyone knows of any UK Halcyon dealers I would appreciate any info , thanks.

Aegir, keep in mind that Halcyon is now a full line technical diving gear manufacturer. I looked into their gear at DEMA this year, and found it to be top notch.

Aeger...er...Aegir

Just noticed I was spelling your name wrong...sorry about that. Anyway, the link I was thinking about, on rigging the webbing on a backplate is the exact one Eric posted on one of his earlier posts.

One nice thing about the wings designed to be worn with doubles and a harness is that they're all mounted by fitting the tank bolts through grommets on 'em, so they're all pretty much interchangeable.. so if you like the feel of the Transpac's padded back, but someone else's wings, they should work.
I do not know, however, whether non DR wings will work with the Transpac when rigged for single tanks, as a single tank rig could easily be very different from harness to harness. The Transpac uses two cam bands threaded through the harness. Anybody out there have experience with several different tech rigs?
Rick

Back
Top Bottom