How many of you smoke?

do you smoke?

• I smoke

Votes: 73 21.3%
  • I don't smoke

Votes: 269 78.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have never been seriously tempted and never to have started smoking.

I feel for those who are hooked - whether or not they admit to wanting to quit.

MN

I don't smoke, I didn't need to. I lived in a chimney (only one of a family of 5 that didn't smoke). I figure that I probably consumed about 5 time the "crap" that they did. I don't know why but I just didn't understand the need for a "filter" on the end if it wasn't "really" bad for you.

-crispy
(no I'm not uncle pug's dead bird.)

I dont smoke

And I hate people who smoke on dive boats near other people who are trying to get away but have nowhere to get away.

~Marlinspike

Well, looks like I'm in the vast minority here. I smoke and have done for many years.
Reading many of the replies to this post strikes me as strange, as where-ever I've dived the majority of inst. & DMs smoke. It always struck me as odd that so many divers smoked as. But after reading this lot, maybe it's just where I dive.
Going accross the pond in a couple of weeks it'll be interesting to see if it's different over there.

Like many of you, I too started in the military. Smoked for over 21 years. Quit a few times, but it only lasted for a week at best.

Finally, 3 months ago, I just got tired of it. Thats all. No pictures of lungs, no slogans, no patch, gum, just quit. I simply decided that I did not want to smoke any more,,,period.

The first week was a snap, I though "hey this aint no big deal". But then the weekend came, and I stopped at the gas station to fill up for the weekend, walked in to pay for the fill up and there they where. Those packages of content, those little white gems that finish well with a beer, those cigarettes. I was just about to buy a pack, saying to myself 'hey you've gone a week, that's good, give yourself a treat'. I paused for a moment, and the clerk asked if the gas fill would be all, I looked up at him and said,,,yes.

I walked out of the gas station, got into my truck, and felt like I had just slain a dragon,,,I said no, and I felt great.

It happened a few more times, but it got easier and easier each time to walk away. I had had enough of cigarettes, and this time I "wanted" to quit. All it took was enough will power to walk away once, and I was on my way.

I will never go back, and feel great!

Sad to say, but I grew up around a house of smokers, and I had an older sister by five years. I started the habbit at the age of seven......yes, SEVEN! My dad smoked filterless, and my mother smoked filtered, I would take his cig butts and her butts, and combine them into a half a cig, or I would steal some of their cigs, or buy my own (at the time, they were only about a dollar a pack, and you could tell the people at the store they are for your parents). I smoked one to one and a half packs a day from the age of seven to the age of twenty.
Sad to be 20 years old and been smoking for 13 years! I decided to quit (I did it cold turkey, OUCH!) because I started nursing school, and figured it would be hard to smoke while working in a hospital. THAT was really tough, because basically all I knew was smoking, I did not know what life was like without smoking, so I picked up a new habbit......gum! When I wanted a cig, I toss in a sugarless stick of gum, it was not as good as that after dinner cig, but it was better than nothing -=) To keep my hands busy I kept a pen with me always, it REALLY helped my when I drove...busy hands keeps the mind from wanting a cig.
After nursing school, I got married, then three years later I was divorced, and somehow I picked up smoking.....well, after seven years of no smoking, there I was smoking again. That lasted about a year or so, and I again quit cold turkey, and have been smoke free for about 2 years or so......I am now 30, I have a chronic cough, a pack of gum in my pocket, but I do not smoke. The urge will never go away to want one, you just get used to saying no to that urge.
I am thankful that I was so athletic as a kid, I ran constantly, I was the top runner in my high school for long distance, I ran a 4 min 35 sec mile, and ran 3 miles in 15 min 30 sec. Have to wonder how much better that would have been if I never did smoke.

Good luck to you SCUBAKristey, you CAN do it!

Ranz

I am surprised I don't smoke, because my mom, dad, step-dad, aunts and uncles all do. I got tired of my hair and clothes stinking so I moved out of my parents house and I guarantee my health got better from not breathing their nasty second hand smoke. And I smell a hell of a lot better too!:fire:

Two packs a day, and occasionally smoke 'something else' (but, wouldn't be surprised if I never did again, it has been a while). Absolutely need to quit. Wife hates it. It is expensive and filthy to say the least... expecting first child in Sept...

Best I've ever done is 8 months.... stupiest mistake of my life was starting again (or, at least in the top 10 stupid, I've done a lot of stupid things). Now, even on Wall St. it is shunned. When I moved here 10 years ago I couldn't believe how many people smoked, it seemed 'acceptable'. But, no longer and, a pack in NYC is $7.50, suburbs, $5+... I could list 100 good reasons to quit, and none to not. But, I'll smoke a pack and half today.

I personnaly don't smoke (never did), but have always been completely horrified at DMs or Instructors who let their cig on the boat and re-light it straight after the dive... Seen thousands of them !:(

My mom died last year on St. Patrick's day. She was 61.

My dad died in April of 1998. He was 58.

They both smoked two plus packs a day.

They both died of cancer. My mom died from bladder cancer, my dad had bone cancer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom