How many of you smoke?

do you smoke?

• I smoke

Votes: 73 21.3%
  • I don't smoke

Votes: 269 78.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I will admit it, I smoke. I love smoking. I've quit about 14 times, and I no longer buy packs regularly, but I smoke. I love it. I hate it cause it's bad for you, and it stinks and it makes you stink and it's dirty and it often causes other people to avoid you because they've got a (legitimate) problem with it. But, despite that I have to say that I smoke ... just not regularly.

What I find so interesting about this line of postings is that by faaaaaaar the majority of people say they don't smoke and they hate smoking, but the fact of the matter is: For all the places I've dived. most divers (especially instructors and masters) that I've run into have been smokers. And I'm not seeing any of them here!

What's so clearly ironic about smoking scuba divers is that diving's an activity which depends on oxygen, and smoking's an activity that deprives you of it.

SMOKING MAKES NO SENSE!

But then, not much in life does.

;-0

My last cigarette was at 9:00 pm on June 4, 1987. Hypnosis helped me. It wasn't magic, but it did help A LOT. Now, I don't miss them or even think about them.

I think it's denial, but really, I'm just a social smoker. I do not smoke at home or anytime at work. Only when alcohol is involved. Unfortunately, my diving buddies smoke. On dive trips, smoking for myself is limited to the evenings when we share and mingle. :eek:ut:

I do not smoke. Both my parents smoked when I was growing up and they both told me they would kill me if I started. Of course when I went to college I tried a cig a few times at parties, but thankfully, it wasn't something I enjoyed. Good fortune for me: I don't have to worry about health problems associated with smoking, and I can save lots of cash (smokes are expensive!).:boom:

I smoke, and I'm tired of being discriminated against because of it. I like it. I'm smoking right now. Deal with it.

I can't wait to see the replies this gets.

Hi Mgictwnger,

A pack of 20 cigarettes costs £4.30 in the UK.

£3.50 of this is tax. Over twenty years a pack a day will raise £25,550.

Some of this tax will go towards my healthcare when I retire. Most of it goes to other state funded projects such as social services, the roads and defence.

Smokers die younger so will not use these facilities into a ripe old age so smokers are paying for a more comfortable and more prolonged old age for non smokers (and be assured, carcinoma of the bronchus is not a pleasant way to go).

So carry on enjoying yourself, preferably double your pleasure, don't let me stop you. :doctor:

I hav never touched the things due to diving. In my opinion, which maybe wrong, having tar in your lungs probably increses the possibility of developing DCS, due to he fact that your lungs cannot eliminate the nitroen as well with tar buildups on them...just a thought.

filthy disgusting habit that !! I have a friend that will light up right after exercise ie. Right after an hour of tennis out in the sun when normal people would be having a drink of water and catching thier breath. When Ca first passed the law banning smoking in bars I thought it was crazy but now all these years later I love it. Went to a smoking bar on vacation and couldnt believe how nasty it was after being away from it for so long. Smokers should just QUIT it.

My mom used to say that. She died of cancer last year at the age of 61. My dad died of cancer in '98, he was 58.

Both my parents continued to smoke until a few days before they died.

I watched my mom die, it's an experience I'll carry with me for the rest of my life. ;(

MgicTwnger once bubbled...
I smoke, and I'm tired of being discriminated against because of it. I like it. I'm smoking right now. Deal with it.

I can't wait to see the replies this gets.

I had a failed attempt at quiting smoking earlier this year, but after a dive trip to Victoria I made another attempt. It has now been 3 weeks without a smoke. :)

Now my wife asked if I quit because "I loved her and wanted to Stay with her", but I said no. It was because I wanted more bottom time:wink: .

I guess the End justifies the means here.

Note: Also smokes in Canada are $10 CAN a pack, so I am now going to buy a good scuba camera with the money I save.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom