How many cylinders were used in your OW dives?

How many air cylinders were used to complete your Open Water Check-out dives?

• 1 Cylinder

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 2 Cylinders

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • 3 Cylinders

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 4 Cylinders

Votes: 64 59.8%
  • 5 Cylinders

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 6 or more Cylinders

Votes: 11 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are a number of standards for open water check-out dives. How many tanks, how many entries, how many set-ups and so forth. And then there is reality. How many actual air cylinders were used in completing your open water check-out dives?

4 dives, 4 bottles, 4 setups, 4 entries 4 dive plans, 4 times calculating pressure groups with the erdp. 2 days. It's all in my log book. 1:10 cumulative dive time.

4 tanks over 2 days for the OW dives: 25min, 30 min, 32 min, 21 min.
We also used a tank each day for the 2 pool days.

4 dives, 4 cylinders etc as dmoore19, total bottom time for first 4 dives was 4hrs and 3 mins.

My instructor believed in actually mixing business with pleasure, so after the skills we went for a dive.

4 Cylinders - two cylinders per day over a course of 2 days.
5 dives (1 skin dive) - 5 entries and exits
Every skill checkout was followed by a fun dive.
2hrs 11min of dive time on scuba, with pool sessions it was 4hr 42mins.

Last edited:
One. We were given a full set of rental gear for the three weeks of our course and had to take care of it. That included filling the tank for each dive and pool session. For our beach dives we were at Diver's Cove in Laguna Beach, CA. We filled them at the shop one block away. For our final dives we were on a boat at Catalina and filled them onboard.

On each of four separate days I did a shallow-water session followed by an open water session. (There was no actual confined water. "Pool" skills were done at an appropriate depth off the beach. Open water sessions were off a zodiac.) So I used 4 tanks, setting up and taking apart each time. After the open water skills were done we used the remaining air swimming around and enjoying the view. I also had one session where I went in without gear from the pier and did swimming and floating skills. That was before gearing up on one of the days. So 4 cylinders were used.

2 tanks with 2 refills for the required dives, plus another refill for a fun dive after. So 5 entries and exits and chances to practice setting up the gear and taking it down. Total bottom time was 178 minutes. On the fun dive the instructor let us play with his scooter which was pretty cool. As many have said, it was like riding a motorcycle underwater.

One. We were given a full set of rental gear for the three weeks of our course and had to take care of it. That included filling the tank for each dive and pool session. For our beach dives we were at Diver's Cove in Laguna Beach, CA. We filled them at the shop one block away. For our final dives we were on a boat at Catalina and filled them onboard.

I wrestled with how explicit to make the question. I take it you required more than several fill in 2 weeks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom