How long for air consumption to improve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easiest way is lean back and use a nice way frog kick to propel you backwards. Next would be face down breathing through your reg or Dorkel if you have one. Neither use your arms except to quickly correct your heading if you can't get your feet to do it. Surface sucks no matter what
Do it slow or you'll be panting and trying to slow your heart before you drop. An accelerated heart rate will help you blow through air fast.

I scull on occasion underwater is I need to rotate my upper body faster than I can do it with my feet. More often than not my hands are full of camera, light, and scooter so no way to do it easily. Use your fins and figure out how they move you by manipulating your ankle and hips.
Frog kicks make the side of one my knees hurt. Sort of a banjo string feeling along the side of the joint. I'm not sure if that's due to a muscular issue or if I'm simply doing it wrong (quite possibly the latter). I usually don't worry too much about speed, but once or twice I've ended up with a bit of a current issue that I needed to try and run parallel to. Not much of a safety problem, since I'm in a river and the shoreline is always an option in a pinch, but it's rather embarrassing to miss the boat and have to grab the tail line.

Frog kicks make the side of one my knees hurt. Sort of a banjo string feeling along the side of the joint. I'm not sure if that's due to a muscular issue or if I'm simply doing it wrong (quite possibly the latter). I usually don't worry too much about speed, but once or twice I've ended up with a bit of a current issue that I needed to try and run parallel to. Not much of a safety problem, since I'm in a river and the shoreline is always an option in a pinch, but it's rather embarrassing to miss the boat and have to grab the tail line.
My knees don't like it on the surface either. Nice and slow is my pace or, I pull the trigger and let my toy do the work. 99% of the time it's the latter.

On the whole "hands are not propulsion" thing, is this also true on the service? I rarely used fins before diving, and my open water class did little on teaching proper fin use when not submerged, so I'm not really sure on the best way to surface swim. What I've been doing is lying on my back (I dive a BP/W), fully inflating the BC to lift me as high out of the water as I can to reduce drag, and then finning and using my hands to paddle towards my hips, but this seems very inefficient. Thoughts on surface swimming technique?

Yeah: get a boat.

Swimming in gear is very inefficient, full stop, because when you look at the formula, you'll find the resistance cubed (not even squared) in there, and the gear comes with a lot of resistance.

Just lay on you back and relax and flutter-kick evenly and don't try to get anywhere fast.

On the whole "hands are not propulsion" thing, is this also true on the service? I rarely used fins before diving, and my open water class did little on teaching proper fin use when not submerged, so I'm not really sure on the best way to surface swim. What I've been doing is lying on my back (I dive a BP/W), fully inflating the BC to lift me as high out of the water as I can to reduce drag, and then finning and using my hands to paddle towards my hips, but this seems very inefficient. Thoughts on surface swimming technique?

When scuba diving fins are your only propulsion, up, down, back, around, underwater or on the surface, 100% of the time. Your hands are for holding things like lights, cameras, tools or if not doing any of that then cross them or hold them crossed out front. On the surface if swimming on your back, cross them over your tummy. Do not fully inflate your BC.

You do not knuckle walk, that is one of the many things that the last little 2% difference in human DNA vs chimp DNA, they knuckle walk, we do not. Scuba diving, use your legs, do not be a chimp and hand swim :wink:. Once in a blue moon when a current runs you toward the reef and nobody is looking you can do a one finger push off on a bare spot, okay, then 99.999% of the time, fins only.

Wait, do not fully inflate my BC at the surface? Why not? My figuring was more buoyancy=less of me in the water=less drag. Does inflating it all the way increase the drag?

Wait, do not fully inflate my BC at the surface? Why not? My figuring was more buoyancy=less of me in the water=less drag. Does inflating it all the way increase the drag?

It won't matter for practical purposes. You're going to have the wing, the tank, the hoses, and the kitchen sink down there either way. Getting your torso out of the water completely will reduce the drag somewhat, but if you really want to get somewhere fast: ditch the gear, including mask and snorkel, and swim front crawl.

Try counting on your breaths- count to 4 in, count to 4 out etc. Pick a count that's comfortable for you. Do that and focus on your breathing for a few dives. After a while you won't even think about it.

Think sleepy when diving, it really works.
And move without wasting movements.
It is amazing how much leg movement new divers do... once you see it, its impossible to unsee.

Your problem justifies more diving😛

I completely sympathize. I am also a new diver, sneaking up on 30 dives now. I generally tell dive buddies that I will be the person who runs out of air first. Last dive, I had 1000 psi left when we surfaced. I was pretty surprised when the DM said we were headed up and I had so much air left. I use hp 100s when I can get them. I will be buying a couple of them this week. That is for cold water diving. Warm water diving, I use whatever, usually aluminum 80s.

I have found that drysuit diving uses more air. Probably a no brainer right there, but it wasn't obvious to me. In tropical water, my burn rate was getting almost acceptable.

Then there is the whole buoyancy and trim thing. I got my own gear so that I could figure out proper weighting. It is taking time and diving. I expect to have a drysuit in another few months so diving on a random Wednesday can be a thing. Lots of diving is a heavy burden and all, but somebody has to do it.

For comparison purposes, I am 64, about 5'-10" and 195 lbs, and spend time in the gym. Resting heart rate is in the mid-50s, but ramps up in a hurry when I am active. That is a prime body for the don't move so much advice.

This may sound counterintuitive but some of the people who are the most athletic use more gas under water. More muscle metabolizes more O2 even at rest. That’s why many people recommend resistance training over cardio for weight control. Might be relevant for some folks regarding this topic.

Back
Top Bottom