How to calculate total air consumption along ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've discounted the difference in speed in the ascent: need to accelerate to 10m/min and slow down (else broach like a porpose when surfacing). Therefore ascent speed is not constant.

Breathing will vary; it won't be exactly 1.5 litres of inspired gas (normalised to surface pressure).

Breath intake will vary according to depth: one doesn't breathe a lungful in an instant, say taking 5 seconds meaning the start will be at a higher pressure than the end.

In short, analysing consumption like this is meaningless. It can only be ascertained by an inline tidal flow device worn by the diver during the ascent.

Back in the real world... we overcompensate to allow for margins of error. The penalty for not doing this is death by drowning.

15l on surface,
30l on 10m
10m/min ascent rate

Takes 1 minute to reach the surface.
Average depth will be 5m.
So it's the same as you would stay at 5m for 1 minute.

Consumption at 5m:
15l * 1.5 =22.5l/min

Because you need 1 minute it's 22.5l

Assuming everything is constant.
No point to ask the question in the first place.

So many people overthinking this!!!

In any case, as someone mentioned, really no need to ever know the answer as if you are that close to running out you will be bolting to the surface as quick as you can.

So many people overthinking this!!!

In any case, as someone mentioned, really no need to ever know the answer as if you are that close to running out you will be bolting to the surface as quick as you can.
Excuse me. I am BORED!
22.5L is the bare minimum if taking 5m as the average depth. How about if the average is breaking down to 2m increment ?
(10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 0)m
10m = 6L( 15 divide by 5 and x 2 = 3L)
8m = 5.4
6m = 4.8
4m = 4.2
2m = 3.6
Total = 24L.

I could be wrong entirely.
Cheers.

He wants to know this for a theoretical task.
22.5l is the amount of air needed.
It's not said the he has no air left.

For example: when calculating min gas you want to know how much gas you consume during ascent. And of course you plan to have 50bar(or whatever) to have still left.

So it's not about an emergency when only 22.5l air is left in the tanks. It's more about gas and dive planning.

The calculation is easy, as I explained in me post above. There is not need for integrals or different test samples.
It's just gas planning

"22.5L" is the bare minimum required.
In 2m increment the diver will take one more breath deeper than or = 5m. (10,8,6 vs 4,2)
In 1m increment the diver will take two more breaths deeper than or = 5m. (10,9,8,7,6,5 vs 4,3,2,1)

If you assume a uniform breathing rate and a uniform ascent rate, then you do not need to integrate or use calculus, just use the average depth of the ascent and the SAC and the ascent time. Something like the area of a triangle is 1/2 bh. Actually, I think it is exactly that.

And here I thought that using GUE Minimum Gas and the CAT formula was enough math with a nice safety margin.

But the OP wants it cut to the best case scenario with no margin of error? So if something goes wrong, your calculations are screwed from the get-go. Hmm... o_O

Back
Top Bottom