How long for air consumption to improve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, do not fully inflate my BC at the surface? Why not? My figuring was more buoyancy=less of me in the water=less drag. Does inflating it all the way increase the drag?

I think you mentioned swimming on the back while on the surface. If you fully inflate your BC, especially a wing, it will likely push your torso up out of the water and rotate your legs downward. Additionally a jacket style BC may also squeeze the bejeebers out of you making breathing difficult. Do what you prefer, maybe something you can work on in the pool trying different methods, see what works best for you. As to drag, that is a hopeless pursuit. The best way to reduce drag is to reduce equipment encumbrances and trim as horizontal to your intended direction as possible/comfortable.

I do often surface swim on my back with a wing and I do not fully inflate. I get enough air in that I am buoyant but with an 18 or 22 pounds of lift wings, it is not much.

It is not recommended loitering on the surface to remove your regulator. And for a long surface swims, most use a snorkel and swim face down. That may or may not be advisable in some locations.

This may sound counterintuitive but some of the people who are the most athletic use more gas under water. More muscle metabolizes more O2 even at rest. That’s why many people recommend resistance training over cardio for weight control. Might be relevant for some folks regarding this topic.

I think that will be the other way around. Resistance training, especially at higher weights and lower reps will build muscle mass. Cardio, running, swimming, cycling, rowing, stair steps, treadmills, will build aerobic fitness. But a balanced program will include resistance training.

My observation of folks today is that their favorite exercise is the fork lift, moving food from their plate to their mouth :wink:. Loosing some weight and a balanced fitness program is probably best for most divers.

I've only got 10 dives in so far. Calculated my SAC at .93cu ft/min. I'm not seeing why exactly so high. I'm not a great athlete, but I do 30min - 1hr cardio 3xish a week, work out regularly, and have a good resting heart rate (65ish). I don't feel overly stressed or anything when I'm diving, but certainly feel like I'm still having to think about buoyancy and everything going on, rather than my brain being on autopilot.
Weight and trim are big contributors. The more you dive you'll notice your consumption improve. A lot has to do with your mental state too. Excitement, apprehension, new dive site, new dive buddy etc., all contribute.
Relax and enjoy the dive - watch your gauges 😀.

I think that will be the other way around. Resistance training, especially at higher weights and lower reps will build muscle mass. Cardio, running, swimming, cycling, rowing, stair steps, treadmills, will build aerobic fitness. But a balanced program will include resistance training.

My observation of folks today is that their favorite exercise is the fork lift, moving food from their plate to their mouth :wink:. Loosing some weight and a balanced fitness program is probably best for most divers.
Depends on the definition of weight control I guess. More muscle mass burns more calories, even at rest. Maybe I should have said % body fat control.

Depends on the definition of weight control I guess. More muscle mass burns more calories, even at rest. Maybe I should have said % body fat control.
It is really come down to things that vary for each person. Being comfortable in the water is probably 90% of it. I buddied up with this lady some years back, nobody wanted her. I was solo but decided to do the honorable thing for once :wink:. She was about as close to 100% body fat as I have ever seen! And was one of the most controlled and disciplined divers I have encountered yet. Her trim was perfect, she was dialed in and completely at home in the water. I had a wonderful several days buddy diving with her. She had a camera, I had a camera and we were still finning along taking pics when all the rest where on the boat waiting on us. Well, anecdotal stories mean nothing but, yeah, comfort in the water, completely relaxed, she was THE zen diver!

Nah, na, na, nahhhh, nah, be one with the water ( from Caddy Shack) :).

It is really come down to things that vary for each person. Being comfortable in the water is probably 90% of it. I buddied up with this lady some years back, nobody wanted her. I was solo but decided to do the honorable thing for once :wink:. She was about as close to 100% body fat as I have ever seen! And was one of the most controlled and disciplined divers I have encountered yet. Her trim was perfect, she was dialed in and completely at home in the water. I had a wonderful several days buddy diving with her. She had a camera, I had a camera and we were still finning along taking pics when all the rest where on the boat waiting on us. Well, anecdotal stories mean nothing but, yeah, comfort in the water, completely relaxed, she was THE zen diver!

2zfpq5[1].jpg

Muscle however is dense and does not require extra lead. There's gas savings from having less ballast and not needing to futz with your aircell as much.

I must have dived with the same lady on a liveaboard in the Red Sea. Super-morbidly obese. I was diving in a drysuit, she was in a skin. Got buddied with her and thought here we go... she was brilliant in the water and had a great SAC!

I've only got 10 dives in so far. Calculated my SAC at .93cu ft/min. I'm not seeing why exactly so high. I'm not a great athlete, but I do 30min - 1hr cardio 3xish a week, work out regularly, and have a good resting heart rate (65ish). I don't feel overly stressed or anything when I'm diving, but certainly feel like I'm still having to think about buoyancy and everything going on, rather than my brain being on autopilot.
I noticed a huge improvement once i hit about 30 dives. From true beginner to not getting those butterflies and being comfortable , being able to focus on fully slowly breathing all the way out when you exhale. Huge difference.

I definitely want to learn to frog kick. I've tried it a few times but haven't really had the time to just chill and practice it. The few times I've tried it just felt off and I didn't go anywhere.
I forget what they call it but there is a flutter kick where you just move your feet from ankles. Dont use your legs. its waaaay less energy. that and frog kick improved things for me. also no going fast anywhere. if a partner insists on sprinting everywhere im not going to also. and get rid of every extra pound of weights you dont need. if you can get under in tropics with 6 pounds use that. dont just use 10 pds thinking its what works. start taking weight off till you cant sink anymore with an EMPTY bcd. youll be surprised how much you are overweighted as a new diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom