How long for air consumption to improve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all else fails, get a scooter and stop fining. Life is better at the pull of a trigger.

20240407_175933.jpg

Dive more, breathe easier, do less, enjoy more. You'll get it.
Great advice. I realized after looking at my logs from the last five dives that this is exactly what I need to do. In my case at least, "doing less and enjoying more" matches perfectly with my idea of recreational scuba diving...

Great advice. I realized after looking at my logs from the last five dives that this is exactly what I need to do. In my case at least, "doing less and enjoying more" matches perfectly with my idea of recreational scuba diving...
Sometimes you need to focus on a small portion of the site vs trying to see the whole thing.

So, I'm also new, but I'll share a tip I learned from Diver's Ready that cut my SAC down by a chunk. Count while you breath. On inhale, do a slow 1-2-3-4-5-6, then exhale 1-2-3-4-5-6. Obviously there will be times you'll have to breath faster cause you're exerting yourself, but in my experience, most of my breathing underwater was just habitual breathing, not necessary for what I was doing, and largely in response to the whole "don't hold your breath" thing. So, yeah, count off as you inhale and exhale, and that should extend the time you get on each lungful without holding your breath (which obviously you should not do, AGE is no joke).

Also, if your reg has a flow rate adjuster or a predive switch, try turning it down? My reg (tusa rs1001) on dive mode breaths like a CPAP machine, and the guy at the shop where I bought it advised me to dive it in predive mode. Works much better that way.

Trim, then weighting, then realizing hands are not propulsion.
On the whole "hands are not propulsion" thing, is this also true on the service? I rarely used fins before diving, and my open water class did little on teaching proper fin use when not submerged, so I'm not really sure on the best way to surface swim. What I've been doing is lying on my back (I dive a BP/W), fully inflating the BC to lift me as high out of the water as I can to reduce drag, and then finning and using my hands to paddle towards my hips, but this seems very inefficient. Thoughts on surface swimming technique?

I'm still a newb and with 80 dives, I'm getting better at consumption but I'm also a big dude so I just dive steel 100s so I don't ruin the party for everyone!

This makes it vary easy to get into a situation where your buddy does not have enough gas for you in an emergency. Have you and your buddy done gas matching for the dissimilar tank sizes? You will probably find you still need to call the dive in about the same time, you just have more leftover gas. More reserve gas isn't a bad thing though.

On the whole "hands are not propulsion" thing, is this also true on the service? I rarely used fins before diving, and my open water class did little on teaching proper fin use when not submerged, so I'm not really sure on the best way to surface swim. What I've been doing is lying on my back (I dive a BP/W), fully inflating the BC to lift me as high out of the water as I can to reduce drag, and then finning and using my hands to paddle towards my hips, but this seems very inefficient. Thoughts on surface swimming technique?
Easiest way is lean back and use a nice way frog kick to propel you backwards. Next would be face down breathing through your reg or Dorkel if you have one. Neither use your arms except to quickly correct your heading if you can't get your feet to do it. Surface sucks no matter what
Do it slow or you'll be panting and trying to slow your heart before you drop. An accelerated heart rate will help you blow through air fast.

I scull on occasion underwater is I need to rotate my upper body faster than I can do it with my feet. More often than not my hands are full of camera, light, and scooter so no way to do it easily. Use your fins and figure out how they move you by manipulating your ankle and hips.

Back
Top Bottom