How is the movie Apollo 13 related to rebreather diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Short answer?
O=C=O

I doubt it has anything to do with a sock…

I doubt it has anything to do with a sock…
You may be on to something..

Don't rEvo pilots "stick a sock" in their CL as a water trap...?

Similarly the Apollo 13 pilots had to "stick a sock" in their improvised scrubber...

:D

How to stick a round scrubber in a square hole.

I watched this movie at least 5 times maybe 15-20 years ago. I have only been scuba diving for 2 years. I am an OC Rec diver but have read a lot about rebreathers in books and online especially in the last year. It just dawned on me today about the scrubbers in the lunar module and rebreathers.

So did NASA technology and research contribute to the progression of rebreathers?

Every rebreather diver I know eventually disassembled the unit and left it looking like all the parts the engineers in the film tossed on the table to figure out how to make a CO2 scrubber for the Apollo 13 crew.

But wasn't the scrubber Lithium based? CO2 capacity per kg is what really matters. Not really worried about what happens if you flood the spacecraft.

Better be able to run it manually … should you ran out of battery power for the computer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom