Night Diving and Dinner Reservations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No way in heck I'm making reservations.

You might find something way more fun during the day.

You can eat when you get home. Enjoy the adventure, eat whatever is handy along the way.

My sister is big on sampling cuisine on vacation, and will axe the evening dives completely. So I never invite her on dive trips. Just the token family trip once a year, that might include diving, but isn't based on it. Going to a 3rd world country, to eat, is a laughable frustration to me.

Going to a 3rd world country, to eat, is a laughable frustration to me.
Yet, Bonaire has much better restaurants than any I've been to in Ohio...where I was born and grew up. Perhaps Ohio is the 3rd world country. :)

Yet, Bonaire has much better restaurants than any I've been to in Ohio...where I was born and grew up. Perhaps Ohio is the 3rd world country. :)
I don’t know, I really miss Skyline Chili!

Some of the meals that we had while we were in Bonaire a few weeks ago rivaled, and often surpassed, the best meals I’ve had while living in Cincinnati, Seattle and here in the Providence/Boston are.

Erik

I learned a lesson about night diving and restaurant meals in Bonaire.

I met a small group of divers there, and we hit it off and did several dives together. They had a friend coming in for the evening, and he wanted to do a night dive. I was invited along, and I agreed happily. It was scheduled to start fairly late, so my wife and I went to dinner first. We usually ate in-house (Captain Don's), but that night we went into town.

I came back and began to set up for the dive, wondering why the others were not setting up as well. Then I saw them, dripping wet, coming in from the dive. Their friend had come in early, so they decided to dive earlier. They couldn't find me, because I was eating in town, so I missed the dive with their friend.

Their friend's name was Phillipe Cousteau.

In my old age I have resolved the problem by not doing night dives any more. I have nothing against night dives, except for one thing--they are always at night. No exceptions. That's when I am done for the day, relaxing at dinner with a glass of wine. Or two.

I learned a lesson about night diving and restaurant meals in Bonaire.

I met a small group of divers there, and we hit it off and did several dives together. They had a friend coming in for the evening, and he wanted to do a night dive. I was invited along, and I agreed happily. It was scheduled to start fairly late, so my wife and I went to dinner first. We usually ate in-house (Captain Don's), but that night we went into town.

I came back and began to set up for the dive, wondering why the others were not setting up as well. Then I saw them, dripping wet, coming in from the dive. Their friend had come in early, so they decided to dive earlier. They couldn't find me, because I was eating in town, so I missed the dive with their friend.

Their friend's name was Phillipe Cousteau.

In my old age I have resolved the problem by not doing night dives any more. I have nothing against night dives, except for one thing--they are always at night. No exceptions. That's when I am done for the day, relaxing at dinner with a glass of wine. Or two.
Where are you at on predawn prostate inspired dives😁

Perhaps you need to get out more.

Because there's no way it's even close. It's a real challenge to not be 100# overweight in the midwest. Best food in the world (give or take bread).

Perhaps you need to get out more.

Because there's no way it's even close. It's a real challenge to not be 100# overweight in the midwest. Best food in the world (give or take bread).
Right. I've lived in Ohio, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Belgium, Germany, Italy, and Virginia, visited all 50 states, and visited some 40-50 countries and all continents. Ohio food is barely on the list for good food. In any case, denigrating Bonaire because of its food is not supportable.

Right. I've lived in Ohio, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Belgium, Germany, Italy, and Virginia, visited all 50 states, and visited some 40-50 countries and all continents. Ohio food is barely on the list for good food. In any case, denigrating Bonaire because of its food is not supportable.

Ohio: Cincinnati Chili

Thanks to Skyline Chili, scores of Americans living outside the Queen City have discovered the matchless joys of Cincinnati-style chili, which fans know has little to do with that Texas-reared version. At countless "parlors" throughout the region, chili refers to that thin, mildly spiced meat-based sauce that is ladled over Coney dogs or big platters of spaghetti. Skyline and early rival Gold Star both cast a very wide net throughout the region and beyond, but many locals prefer to get their two, three, four and five way plates at local legend Camp Washington Chili, honored by the James Beard Foundation as an American Regional Classic. Whether you prefer yours topped simply with finely shredded cheddar cheese or the works — cheese, onions and beans — it’s a comfort classic, best enjoyed with hot sauce and oyster crackers.

Ohio: Cincinnati chili

Mark Twain apparently once joked that when he died, he hoped he'd be in Cincinnati, which was always twenty years behind the times. In the case of the city's chili culture, I'd say about fifty. The story of this obscure regional quirk is a terribly American story, a story of immigrant entrepreneurs. The stuff beloved by generations of locals, and much misunderstood by outsiders, began life as a Greek-American thing, a vaguely Mediterranean-spiced sauce served on top of hot dogs — evolving, then spawning, over time. Today, the very best versions are found in the humble one-off parlors, but there's something special about the dueling chains, Gold Star and Skyline, still so committed to their extremely specific craft. While you might have never tried this, and may never again, a three-way, consisting of a healthy portion of chili atop a pile of spaghetti, served with an abundance of finely shredded cheddar, on a cold night in the dead of winter — that's peak Cincinnati. That's one of those weird, wonderful moments you won't soon forget.

35. Ohio: Skyline chili.

Two more sites also mention chili, but there are two mentions of peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate.

That's it. Welcome to Ohio! :) :)

You're going to judge fine dining, based on bad fast food from a soviet city?

That explains alot. Next time you hit the quarries up here I'll show you some real food.

You're going to judge fine dining, based on bad fast food from a soviet city?

That explains alot. Next time you hit the quarries up here I'll show you some real food.
Nah. To all you said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom