How happy are you with today's level of Diver Education?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This seems to be the justification I've heard from instructors for certifying the train wrecks we've all seen. "You'll be fine, you just need to dive.".

On the surface this makes sense because the courses are not intended to impart a lot of experience and students are, rightly so, highly encouraged to get diving experience as soon after the course as possible.

Translated, this means: "You still suck and I don't know or really care how to make you better, but you probably won't kill yourself, so here's your card."
I would hope not. I would hope that at the end of every course the instructor has the impression that the student has the SKILLS but that the learning hasn't ended.

ANY instructor who tells their students after a course ... "ok, you know it all now" is the one deluding their students. The one that says "ok, you now have the skills and it's incumbent on YOU to go out and get some experience applying them" is the one who has it by the tail.

R..

I give my students a skill set.

I train them on that sill set to a certain level of competence.

It's up to them to perfect that skill set through use.

I offer refreshers for most divers at no charge: just come dive with me!

On the surface this makes sense because the courses are not intended to impart a lot of experience and students are, rightly so, highly encouraged to get diving experience as soon after the course as possible...

ANY instructor who tells their students after a course ... "ok, you know it all now" is the one deluding their students... R..

I don't think that this is the concern that has been shown by the majority of respondents on this thread. It seems clear that the majority are NOT satisfied with the caliber of diver being produced.

All new divers will require time to gain experience, however they should be safe in the water with their buddy and not require supervision by a DM or Instructor to do so. The fact that many divers are not satisfied with the end product speaks volumes (IMO) of the training that's being received.

Certainly we can blame the student. We can say that we are just giving them an opportunity to learn, we are satisfying a market need, giving the customer what s/he wants, quick and fast. Some of us however are not satisfied with the situation as it is.

It's not a matter of knowing it all, but knowing enough.

All new divers will require time to gain experience, however they should be safe in the water with their buddy and not require supervision by a DM or Instructor to do so. The fact that many divers are not satisfied with the end product speaks volumes (IMO) of the training that's being received.
Yeah

Certainly we can blame the student. We can say that we are just giving them an opportunity to learn, we are satisfying a market need, giving the customer what s/he wants, quick and fast. Some of us however are not satisfied with the situation as it is.

I'm not sure what you're trying to got across here. I certainly don't want to blame the student....

R..

I'm not sure what you're trying to got across here. I certainly don't want to blame the student.... R..

Nor do I (referring to comments made by others that the student was the one who ultimately was responsible for his own safety). Personally, I believe that the Instructor is in a position of trust and is required to provide that training which is reasonable to insure student safety (diving with a buddy, otherwise unsupervised). IMO there is no excuse to take the position that given experience, s/he will become a safe diver once experienced is gained. I believe that it's incumbant on the Instructor that the student is safe when they are certified.

It seems clear that the majority are NOT satisfied with the caliber of diver being produced.
What's not clear is if this is a new phenomenon. Were instructors of yesteryear just as dissatisfied with the level of competence? Is this perception based on fact or is it purely anecdotal? Even then, the feeling is far from universal. There are many of us who are quite satisfied with how our students perform.

(referring to comments made by others that the student was the one who ultimately was responsible for his own safety).
To be clear: the student IS ultimately responsible for their own safety! I teach that from the very first day of class and re-enforce it as often as possible.

Students should never do a "trust me" dive, where their safety is dependent on their instructor or buddy. Skills and competency should be resolved in the pool BEFORE the first OW dive.

I think everyone is pretty much satisfied with how our students perform. If we weren't, we'd make changes. I know my students and I are far from perfect and I'm always looking for ways to improve my classes, but in general I'm very happy with my classes. I wouldn't be happy in other systems, but I'm happy where I am.

I want to make sure one point is clear. While I would love to see changes made in many programs, I don't believe any changes should be forced on any agency. As long as the agency is happy with their standards and people are happy to buy the class, I have no problem with it being sold. I would like to see more transparency in how classes differ. This class has this, that class has that and the philosophies as to why they differ. Given that, I'm perfectly happy seeing people chose what they feel best suits them.

What do you guys think of my response in Papabears thread (just the concept, not about the thread). From an instructors POV could part of the problem be that you are expected to teach the OW course to two different groups of divers and find that the standards for one don't equal the standards for the other. Is it better to expect all divers to meet too high/low a set of standards or would they (and you) be better served by offering two variations of the OW course?

"...I think the real problem is that some agencies are not entirely "honest" about what they are delivering. The primary market for one agency (the one I am familiar with) seems to be the resort/vacation diver (where most sites are known, the dive plan is developed and DM/guides are available). If that is the market then the course called OW is sufficient IMO.

There are other divers however, who dive in more challenging circumstances. They need/should be able to plan and execute a dive by themselves (sans DM/Guide) but they also take the same OW course as the vacation diver. In this case I think the course could be seen as lacking.
The agency I know of counters this deficit by offering the AOW course as well as other specialty classes but I think it is a misnomer to call their initial course OW if it doesn't fully prepare the diver for OW.

I don't think this is a big deal though and it could be remedied easily by simply renaming/restructuring the courses. Todays OW course could be called "Resort diver" (or something like it) and a seperate course OW+AOW could be called "Independant diver" (or something like it). The designations would be more honest regarding the skills of its graduates and a simular sales structure would apply. The "resort diver" could upgrade to "independant diver" by simply taking the missing modules. I don't think many would be offended by these designations as vacation divers seldom want to dive in the harsher home conditions and probably don't want to be independant divers anyways. As you say some people just want to splash around and look at the fishes.

It may seem to be a semantics game but to say that one course can produce an OW diver for the vacation model as well as the independant model doesn't work. The agencies are trying to paint with too broad a brush. To which dive group does the agency set its standards? It seems the first (target) group which leavs the second lacking."

What do you guys think of my response in Papabears thread (just the concept, not about the thread). From an instructors POV could part of the problem be that you are expected to teach the OW course to two different groups of divers and find that the standards for one don't equal the standards for the other. Is it better to expect all divers to meet too high/low a set of standards or would they (and you) be better served by offering two variations of the OW course?

"...I think the real problem is that some agencies are not entirely "honest" about what they are delivering. The primary market for one agency (the one I am familiar with) seems to be the resort/vacation diver (where most sites are known, the dive plan is developed and DM/guides are available). If that is the market then the course called OW is sufficient IMO.

There are other divers however, who dive in more challenging circumstances. They need/should be able to plan and execute a dive by themselves (sans DM/Guide) but they also take the same OW course as the vacation diver. In this case I think the course could be seen as lacking.
The agency I know of counters this deficit by offering the AOW course as well as other specialty classes but I think it is a misnomer to call their initial course OW if it doesn't fully prepare the diver for OW.

I don't think this is a big deal though and it could be remedied easily by simply renaming/restructuring the courses. Todays OW course could be called "Resort diver" (or something like it) and a seperate course OW+AOW could be called "Independant diver" (or something like it). The designations would be more honest regarding the skills of its graduates and a simular sales structure would apply. The "resort diver" could upgrade to "independant diver" by simply taking the missing modules. I don't think many would be offended by these designations as vacation divers seldom want to dive in the harsher home conditions and probably don't want to be independant divers anyways. As you say some people just want to splash around and look at the fishes.

It may seem to be a semantics game but to say that one course can produce an OW diver for the vacation model as well as the independant model doesn't work. The agencies are trying to paint with too broad a brush. To which dive group does the agency set its standards? It seems the first (target) group which leavs the second lacking."

I completely agree with a name change, to better reflect the skills actually imparted (or rather, that should be imparted). Resort Diver and Independent Diver are good, although I confess I prefer the alternative ISO names provided by DCBC upthread as a more accurate reflection of your qualifications (again, what they should be).

RSTC Standard, ISO Standard, Alternative ISO Title

Scuba Experience No equivalent

No equivalent Level One Diver Supervised Diver

Open Water Diver Level Two Diver Autonomous Diver

Dive Supervisor Level Three Diver Dive Leader

Whatever it's renamed, AOW has to go, as it's nothing of the sort. Intermediate OW, maybe. As a fallback I'd accept OW I and OW II, but would really prefer to get rid of OW in the title of the minimum cert. I expect Resort/Independent is better from a marketing perspective than Supervised Diver/Autonomous Diver, even if the latter is more accurate. Too many male egos would be pushed out of shape by "Supervised"; of course, this is likely the same group of people who tend to have poor self-assessment skills in the first place.

I have to partially disagree with a comment made earlier that the quality of students isn't part of the problem. Yes, you can always teach a motivated student who wants to learn more. But if you get the sort who want everything done for them and expect to have their hand held, or the sort who think they already know everything, I don't think they're likely to learn much if anything. An attitude of dependency is pretty tough to break, as is one of omniscience.

In addition, the average physical condition of dive students today is undoubtedly poorer than it was, partly because they're older but mainly because they're fatter. When I was a scoutmaster I could certainly see the difference between the generation of kids that grew up without video games and spent most of their playtime outdoors, and the generation that had them from the time they were able to hold a controller. Deletion of mandatory PE at school has just accelerated the process of turning people into couch potatos.

For me, raising the swim standards (what NOAA calls "watermanship" skills, which includes being comfortable and confident while doing them) and boosting the free-diving part of training (virtually non-existent in my OW course) would be the simplest and easiest step to separate the Independent/Autonomous divers from the Resort/Supervised divers.

While I know competent, confident divers who are relatively poor swimmers, as a general rule I believe if you aren't a competent/confident swimmer in decent condition you have no business in the water anywhere it's rough, cold, there's strong current and/or the vis is limited. If you start out stressed by fear of your environment and your ability to cope with it, you're already behind the curve for dealing with any issues that may come up. You may survive, just, but you endanger not just yourself (which you have every right to do) but everyone who dives with you on every dive, because they're the ones who will have to attempt to rescue you. And a small but steady number don't survive, as the regular death toll at my local Darwinian dive site (North Monastery Beach south of Carmel, Ca.) demonstrates.

Increasing the swim distance is good for making sure that people are in decent shape, but is unnecessary to see if they're confident in the water; If you watch Michael Phelps (or any decent swimmer) take two strokes, are you really in any doubt about their watermanship?

So for me, the critical issue to separate the autonomous students from the rest would be to specify the strokes to be used; no more dog-paddling, just free, breast and/or side stroke (hey, if you can do fly, by all means) performed to a decent standard: You don't have to be a competitive swimmer, just obviously know what you're doing. And no use of fins, as I believe PADI allows as an option; just you and the water (swimsuits optional:D)

Boost the swim distance and breath-hold (not done at all in my OW class) a bit to ensure reasonable condition, and/or impose a reasonable time limit on the first; except for students who are already marginal on the first two, I doubt much is proved by extending the length of the float/tread beyond 10 or 15 minutes. If they can go that long they can almost certainly go for 30, just with double or triple the boredom.

Then, include/require free-diving skills to a much greater extent than has been my experience (and which seems to usually be the case). I'm in no doubt that if I hadn't already had the skills, a course like the YMCA/SEI curriculum would be my choice for giving divers some fundamental underwater experience, much of which transfers well to scuba: mask and snorkel clears and controlling buoyancy by lung volume are a few, not to mention mouth breathing through a mouthpiece. Personally, I'm really glad I learned to use a snorkel without a purge valve way back when; makes clearing a reg underwater without using the purge a non-event.

In short, I think you should be a fairly efficient air-breathing water mammal before you try to be a fish. I don't believe that the best introduction to swimming underwater is to do so on scuba.

And while we're talking about pie in the sky utopias, if we're going to keep it around let's make Master Diver have some real value instead of just "I took AOW and Rescue and have 50+ dives" - we've got quite enough meaningless cards these days.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom