How do you wash/rinse your dive gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Looks like a bomb blew bits of Scuba gear all over my shower!
How do you wash/rinse your Scuba gear?
83794578_116534873237831_5415394151787134976_n.jpg

If diving in Florida, I go cave diving before everything gets time to dry. If the coast of NC, I try to hit one of the quarries. Much easier to just go dive.
If not, then exposure protection goes in the washing machine.
Everything else goes in the bathtub or gear bins with an aquarium pump to circulate water.

If diving in Florida, I go cave diving before everything gets time to dry. If the coast of NC, I try to hit one of the quarries. Much easier to just go dive.
If not, then exposure protection goes in the washing machine.
Everything else goes in the bathtub or gear bins with an aquarium pump to circulate water.

Do you have a front-load or top-load washer? Is there any risk of the agitator messing things up?

All my gear goes into a hot bathtub with a bit of Dawn detergent and a capful of deoderizer, I let soak a bit and then agitate by hand and soak some more, then it goes into the shower. I rinse it in the shower, let it drip dry in place, then hang or prop up outside to dry (driveway or back patio, depending upon where the sun is). Mine looks about like yours does. My boots and gloves go onto a snow boot dryer and are fully dry in about an hour with no stink.

A two gallon pump sprayer helps at the dive site to get salt off the gear. I got the 1 gallon and might just use 1/2 gal myself, but the 2 gal seems one less bottle to carry for non-pump rinse water. After spraying I put regs/lights/etc back in a small tub and cover with water and a lid for the drive home. Then in tubs in the shower.

HDX 2 Gal. Pump Sprayer-1502HDXA - The Home Depot

Looks like a bomb blew bits of Scuba gear all over my shower!
How do you wash/rinse your Scuba gear?
View attachment 565964

I rinse it all in big tubs in the backyard with the garden hose. Then, wetsuits drip dry hanging on a hanger, on a hook, under a patio roof cover on the pool deck. Most everything but regulator and masks dry on the pool deck under cover. BCDs drip dry in the shower.

With garden hose + big storage bin...Add various McNett washes for wetsuits/BCs, let soak...rinse...then dry on a commercial rack like this one on deck/balcony/in backyard: Chrome Metal Folding Commercial Clothes Rack

Otherwise, bathtub and/or utilize the rods etc. If it's your only bathroom like us, it takes a bit of timing and creativity!

The clothing rack is very sturdy, adjustable for various heights, and is collapsible and hasn't rusted on us yet. :) I hang items on wetsuit hangers, BC/reg hangers, etc. It is very high quality. I suggest getting it using one of their coupon codes/discounts. When it drip dries, you can put boot trays underneath the rack or if you are fine with the water dripping as is just let it be.

A two gallon pump sprayer helps at the dive site to get salt off the gear. I got the 1 gallon and might just use 1/2 gal myself, but the 2 gal seems one less bottle to carry for non-pump rinse water. After spraying I put gear back in a small tub and cover with water and a lid for the drive home. Then in tubs in the shower.

HDX 2 Gal. Pump Sprayer-1502HDXA - The Home Depot
The girlfriend of one of my students uses this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFHFJXI/. I'm going to try it as it looks like it works well. Kind of nice to have a large cooler filled with water to do a preliminary rinse at the dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom