How do you wash/rinse your dive gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hose, water, driveway, air.....so complicated.

Not everyone has access to a garden hose or a driveway that can be used (apartments, condos, etc.) and/or a place where they can leave their gear unattended to dry without someone walking off with the items. It can be a logistical hurdle for some even though it might not be for you.

top load but no agitator. If you have an agitator, then I wouldn't put them in the washing machine.

I miss having a front load washer just for the gentle rinse cycles. Our current place is top load AND has an agitator which I'm not a fan of even for regular clothing. The non-agitator situation makes it so much easier! I should just visit my parents when I get back from dive trips. :)

I'm one of those city apartment-dwellers. Everything goes in the tub for a soak, then out on the balcony to dry. It's pretty well shaded, all concrete with a drain; I have a bird feeder stand I can hang stuff from, and an outlet where I can plug in my wetsuit hanger with a fan and my boot dryer. I don't know what I'd do without the tub and balcony.

While daily diving

Just rinse in the tubs provided, hang up wet and usually am diving before they are fully dry. Soak regulators as long as practical. I make a point to rinse out the bladder on my BCD every time. Just unscrew the emergency dump valve, fill with water then, orally inflate and let the water flow out through all dump and air release valves to rinse them as well.

After a lot of dives or before packing for a while

Wetsuits I soak in a tub with Downy or use baby shampoo to get them clean, after rinsing well I will then soak in a baking soda solution to get any smells out of them. However in warm water. I will hang them to dry in a manner that will not stretch them or just lay them flat. I just wear board shorts and a rashie and these simply go in the regular clothes wash.

BCD as above but usually two or 3 rinses of the bladder then semi inflate so the bladder will not stick inside. Hang on a BCD hanger to dry.

Regulator, take apart scrub as much as possible with a small toothbrush then soak in a weak vinegar solution, scrub. Rinse then soak in a baking soda solution and scrub again. Fresh water rinse and scrub and reassemble using silicone grease where applicable.

Fortunate to have a spare bathroom. I put up an extra curtain rod across the middle of the shower above the shower head. Dump all gear in the tub for a soak then hang up, or spread on shower floor until dry. Worked quite well so far.

Pretty simple....

Rinse at the dive site with a hose and dedicated dunk tanks, drip dry during the team debrief and a coffee, pack wet then hang up in a dedicated closet for final dry once home. If I have to leave the dive site before I can get a freshwater rinse, I use the detachable shower head and bathtub at home.

The aquarium pump, detergent, washing machine and other additional steps are interesting. I haven’t seen a need to use them but good ideas if I need them in the future.

When in Florida and commuting to the Atlantic Coast, I’ve considered getting a 12v powered shower like this Big Kahuna Portable Showers .

I’m also considering getting a small cargo van (like a Ford Transit) with a rubber mat floor so that I can neatly hang my gear inside to dry during the drive home and simply pack it up inside the van.

The van will serve double duty as a dedicated track bike hauler.

We just rinse our gear with a hose in the backyard. Pretty strait forward really. When it stops leaking we transfer everything into our garage for futher drying.

I rarely wash our undersuits.

We spray our gear down with class b foam, it’s the old stuff from animal fats, actually it also makes for a good post dive snack...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom