To service or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d service them as I now service all my gear, so it’s a simple decision. I had bought a reg from eBay and hooked it up to see before I serviced it and it seemed fine. Took it apart and more than one oring basically disintegrated during service. So it may work fine but be right on the edge of failure.

Reactions: L13
Before I start I just want to say hi and to thank you for your help. I was at a moving sale and bought 3 full sets of gear. The gear is 10 or 12 years but was only used on a dive vacation to get certified. Total dives less that 10. It was all rinsed washed dried and stored inside. There is not a mark or stain on anything so I fully believe the gear is almost new old stock. I would like your thoughts should I have it serviced, dive it or something in between. I have some experience work on regulators 30+ years ago. I can do IPs and willing to buy tool. The gear is all scuba pro, atomic and dive rite I have more pictures if needed

I'd most definitely have them serviced first. I'd dive them afterwards before taking on a dive trip.

There were several other regular in the box. I think I will start by rebuilding one of them. There is a mk21 with g250's that looks good. Is there someone to buy service kits and tools for putting the piston back in.

Tools (quick thoughts if you need dedicated tools (or general bench tools that HomeDespot is not likely to carry)

scubatools.com​
scuba-clinic-tools.com (overseas - SE Asia so shipping takes a week or so)​
Other sources with tools out there that offer broader product lineups that may not be as deep WRT service tools: Dive Gear Express, Piranah Dive Manufacturing, Northeast Scuba and probably a bunch I'm not popping to mind right now. That's just my brain sludge and no reflection on anybody else.

Another source for some service tools (Europe) that is also up to speed on a lot of the common service kits (OEM equivalent parts kits, not necessarily OEM branded kits, is scubagaskets.com - I've bought kits from them before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom