How do you think people really think when you mention you scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most think I am crazy. Their biggest fear is sharks. I am amused when they ask their questions and I know it is fear talking. Once I start telling them about innocent little creatures like the smiling blue tang or the colorful parrot fish, corals that look like gardens, they have a little bit of a different perspective.

Most people fixate on the cold, and when they ask about what we see, it's more of a, "What could POSSIBLY be down there that would merit getting in dark, murky ice water on a regular basis?" Even when you tell them about Giant Pacific Octopuses and wolf eels and nudibranchs that look like Steuben crystal ornaments, their faces remain stubbornly dubious. And when you then tell them that you dive in caves . . . well, your sanity has been crossed off at that point.

And when you then tell them that you dive in caves . . . well, your sanity has been crossed off at that point.
LOL. I was thinking about posting here and well that pretty much sums up what I wanted to convey. :laughing:

For me it depends where I am.

At work in So Cal, its like cool. Some people even think I might be athletic since Scuba can masquerade as a sport.
In New Hampshire, they think I am nuts (oceans are for fishing, not swimming)?
In land locked Amarillo Texas, the first question is where in the heck do you dive and did you flunk geography?

People always mention the following when they find out I dive:

"Have you seen a shark? Aren't you afraid?"
"Isnt oxygen expensive?"
"A dive lasts only an hour give or take? I thought you guys were down there for several hours at a time!"

And the weirdest question from a couple of weeks back...

"If you see a mermaid, do you think it'll be like in the movies where the top half is human? What if it's actually reversed, top-half fish?! o_O "

I just assumed he was having a very good time with his drink :D

Most peoplel respond with a "but aren't there sharks down there?" Those who don't were 'closet divers'. Meaning they did at one time but not in a while and it was the golden years of their life. I've motivated a few to contemplate getting certified. In all cases, however, besides thinking its dangerous everyone thinks it's cool or something like that.

Does it kind of make them think you are more like the sedate birdwatchers instead of the adventurous parachuters?
It really does run the gamut, doesn't it? So even in my own diving, they could be correct either way.

I get asked the same question by non-divers, and I am very surprised that you don't as well. "How Deep do you go?" :D
Yes, among the uninitiated, that is by far the most common question I get.

I try to remind myself that not everybody finds it as interesting as we do, and I confine most of my scuba conversation to the ScubaBoard unless I see genuine interest.

Most people think I am crazy. Guilty as charged.

When they discover I dive in quarries here in Ohio., they look like at me like I am certifiable.

My neighbors would prefer i quit diving. I (quietly) pack up my gear at 6 or 7 AM on the weekends.
They would prefer I buy a new car instead. And then I could watch TV all day like a zombie.

Most people look at me bewildered.

Like many of the other answers, people generally think that I'm a daredevil and thrill-seeker. They consider scuba diving "hardcore."

First question asked "Isn't it cold down there?" - answered with drysuits keep you somewhat comfortable.
Other questions asked:
"Aren't you afraid of sharks?" - answered with sharks very rarely attack people and when they do, it's because they mistake them for seals/fish
"How deep do you go?" - answered with as deep as 100ft, but generally higher
"Isn't it expensive?" - answered with a yes.

The only thing I don't like people thinking is that I'm some sort of rich bastard. While I'm not poor by any means, it took a bit of saving and scrounging to get everything, and I had to sacrifice money on other aspects of life.

Back
Top Bottom