How do you pack toolkit in checked baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have been using the little Pelican case that came with my Dive Rite canister light to store our toolkit. When traveling we just stick it into one of the checked bags. Besides being bulky, it adds quite a bit of extra weight. With the latest changes in baggage charges I'd like to try to find a lighter way of carrying the tools.

We carry the usual assortment of stuff: multi tool, O rings, lube, screwdriver, allen wrenches (although it seems we never have the right size), zip ties, assorted bolts and buckles for the BP/W, etc... The damn thing weighs like 5 pounds. We must take everything or hubby will have an aneurysm. I'm sure some of you guys will understand. He likes to be prepared to fix anything in our dive kit.

How do you all carry your tools and extra parts in your checked baggage? Pictures would be nice if you have something really cool.

Heavy stuff that I can get away with I keep in my carry on (except for some airlines that weigh the carry on -- more exotic places). If you travelling to a resort with a dive shop on site, give them a call and see what tools they have there -- no sense packing a cresent wrech as they will likely have that in the shop and on the boat. In some cases if you are staying in a populated area, but a long ways from home, you can always pick up some of the tools from a local Target or Home Depot and return them if you don't use it. Definately a good idea if the weight puts you over the baggage limit since those fees will eat you alive now adays.

There are also travel backplates you can check out that will help reduce baggage weight.

~Jeff

Although it may not carry everything you have, I carry the only the most essential things (mask & fin straps, multi tool, allen wrenches, O-rings, mouth pieces, EMT Sheers, screw drivers, o-ring picks, zip ties, mask defog & such) in a little UK dry box with no foam in it. It can be a little tight, a a little heavy, but sure comes in handy in a pinch. I'll be honest though, I check the tools.

We're not overweight but I am hoping to drop some of the weight just because the bags get heavy, even on wheels. Plus the Pelican case we are using as a toolbox is bulky. Hubby likes to have the tools handy in case he needs to make an adjustment. We are doing both a liveaboard and a land based trip. Last time, the liveaboard didn't have the right tools so it was a good thing we had ours. I think I just need to find a better carrying case that is soft and doesn't take up so much room.

Screw drivers, dental picks, multitools will get confiscated from your carry on luggage. I don't know about allen or crescent wrenches. Check with TSA before you travel.

Screw drivers, dental picks, multitools will get confiscated from your carry on luggage. I don't know about allen or crescent wrenches. Check with TSA before you travel.

Uhm..yeah. no kidding. I don't need to check. I'm talking about checked baggage.

Back
Top Bottom