How do you know you're diving 21% Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, you'd be better off checking CO level than O2

I saw a couple of divers do a relatively deep dive in Coz last summer, only to then learn they were on the 36% Nitrox tanks they'd planned to use on the second, shallower dive. It's probably a good idea to O2 test every tank

I think I need to get into the selling analyzers business.
You could put together a group discount purchase. I've seen it done on a Cave divers forum and a Rebreather forum. Warning, no good deed goes unpunished. :no:

Don't bother, you can use the analyzer the provider of the gas has.
After doing so on a trip, I came home and bought one! Even if you do like their analyzer, I've seen long lines to test at times: Move tanks 2 ft, stop for 3 minutes, repeat. :shakehead:

Buddy pairs can share costs. In my case, I bit one bullet after another: O2 analyzer, replacement sensor after a few years, CO analyzer - which I replaced after I dropped it in the ocean, finally a better CO analyzer. I've thought about renting my Analox CO unit out, but I wouldn't do it as cheap as Outdoor Equipment Rentals does now. :idk:

Yes, it is a real question: Do you test your mix?

I do, even if it might be 21%.

The question is for members of the board. Correct! Never assume.
Let me guess, Beaver—you have analyzers for sale if anybody needs one, right?

I think I need to get into the selling analyzers business.
Don't bother
...the Beav has that covered.

Yes, I test all my tanks ... but that's because with the exception of the two AL80's I reserve for pool use, they all contain something other than air.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Let me guess, Beaver—you have analyzers for sale if anybody needs one, right?
Yes, we do sell analyzers. We also rent them, because for the traveling rec. diver that only dives once a year it does not make sense to buy one. The dive shop/boat should have one. If they don't use a different operator.

But that is not the question, Do you analyze your 21% nitrox tanks?

I usually dive with nitrox, and I have my own tester, because I like to go to the Caribbean and have heard not all shops have testers or sometimes they don't work.:goingdown:

IMO, you'd be better off checking CO level than O2
That is a totally different issue.

Do you test your 21% nitrox tanks for the proper mix?

Yes or No

21% is 21%. call it air or nitrox its still 21%.

there is a different between "clean" air and standard air. clean air has just been filtered a little more to eliminate hydrocarbons. clean air can be put in all tanks but nitrox tanks can only accept clean air or else it becomes contaimated and is no longer o2 clean.

21% is 21%. call it air or nitrox its still 21%.

there is a different between "clean" air and standard air. clean air has just been filtered a little more to eliminate hydrocarbons. clean air can be put in all tanks but nitrox tanks can only accept clean air or else it becomes contaimated and is no longer o2 clean.
Correct, but how do know it is 21% unless you test it.

My wife and I test EVERY single tank we dive for o2 and co. There is no logical argument for not testing every tank.
Saving money by not purchasing analyzers is pretty dumb, might as well "save" money by selling off the seat belts and air bags from your car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom