How did you convince YOUR spouse to start diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want her to dive?

Just threaten to take away her vacum cleaner...and tell her she won't get the new Kenwood Magi-mixer that she was dreaming of getting for Christmas.

sexist+ads+0415.gif

Gotta admit....I chuckled at this one

Well, thanks all for the replies!
I thought it would be a light and airy topic and some of you responded that way.
The spectrum of replies are really interesting.....they vary from humor to "how dare you you chauvinist pig" to the usual "how can you put your wife, children, and the whole dive boat at risk" talk.

Just to make things a little clearer; after 24 years of happy marriage, I adore my wife. I cannot and would not try to force her to do anything she does not want to do.

But how to "encourage" her to ENTHUSIASTICALLY SERIOUSLY WANT to? :fear:

I was one of the more serious postings. But, on Saturday, I watched a couple enter the water and saw the effects of one wants and one does not want.

It was clear that this woman was a did not want to be a diver diver.

Glad to hear you were being lighthearted and sorry for the soapbox. :D

I just taught a woman to dive. Her husband has been certified but has not dived in 20 years of their marriage. He asked her to try it and learn and she said, "Absolutely not!" He really didn't want to do it without her, though she was fine with it.
So twenty years later, they live in an apartment building that overlooks my dive pool. She has been watching me teach women, men, and children. She came over and said she thinks she can trust me and wants to learn to dive, maybe.
So she did. She was a star. She finished her OW dives and booked a trip for him to the Red Sea. She said she could not believe she wasted all those years, and hated that he had.
He was just thrilled that she chose to do it. Now, they are fully geared, have been to the Red Sea, are diving every weekend, and taking more courses. Sometimes, you have to be patient.

So, you dive. Dive with the kids. Let her choose her thing. You never know, one day may be her day to dive. If not, you get great vacations, she gets some "Mom for Mom, alone without all you guys time," while you dive. Sometimes, that is worth everything to us Moms......

Oh, and my hubby? I said,"Hey wanns dive?" Hey said YESSSS!!!!! He is now a recreational and technical instructor.....

But, on Saturday, I watched a couple enter the water and saw the effects of one wants and one does not want.

It was clear that this woman was a did not want to be a diver diver.

I have seen this too and it's not a pretty sight.

terrylowe,

I has just running through some of my cliche's like 'diving is way too cool to only do on vacation" when a though occurred. Are you active local divers or is this a vacation activity?

If you are not active local divers then perhaps she has a different perception of enjoying downtime and the effort of executing a dive outing just does not appeal to her compared with snorkeling, curling up with a book and otherwise relaxing while the rest of you hustle gear, climb ladders and so forth. It may have nothing to do with not wanting to dive but cherishing her down-time.

This of course is total speculation. My point being that if you are not local divers then local diving may be the gate-way. Getting a dive outing in on a regular weekend is like a weekend on steroids, a mini vacation and something to talk about on Monday. If that opens the door then she may enthusiastically re purpose her vacation time to dive.

Just a thought,
Pete

But how to "encourage" her to ENTHUSIASTICALLY SERIOUSLY WANT to?
Good question. I think most of us understood the positive tone of your original message - you are doing something you love to do, and want to share that experience with your spouse. There are many stories of oftren convoluted paths that lead to couples diving together. And, it can take a long time in some cases. I have been diving for 9 years, and two of our four children are certified, while a third is a 'work in progress' (academics and confined water done), but my wife has consistently said, 'Thanks, but I am not interested.' She has been going to scuba club meetings / parties with me for years, and she has been to Bonaire twice and Roatan once with me on club trips, and enjoyed the excursions as vacations, usually going as the only non-diver (and non-snorkler) in a group of ~20. We got back from the most recent Bonaire trip Saturday, during which she was 'encouraged' throughout the week, primarily by other women divers in the group, to learn to dive, with her continuing to politely say, 'No, thanks.' I was therefore amazed yesterday morning to have her tell me that she wants to get certified! In talking about her apparent change of heart, she said one of the biggest drawbacks to diving for her was the amount of time she sees people (me included) going through to get ready to dive, AND cleaning / packing up after a dive. But, she said that she sees the same thing when we ride our horses - all the time spent in 'retrieving' the horse from the pasture, cleaning hooves, tacking up, then replicating the process after a ride, etc, etc. - yet she still enjoys riding. Once she looked at it that way, she decided that maybe she was letting the perceived inconvenience get in the way of doing something enjoyable. She also sees diving as a social activity to be pursued with a number of other people - not just me - and I think that helped. She knows a lot of people in the club and it is a socially compatitible group that shes enjoys spending time with. We will see how the certification process goes.

Honestly? Best chance is to let he see how enthused the kids get about it, and watching you and them go off and have a great time together. Sooner or later she'll get at least curious.

Get her best friend into diving. Then take the kids and her friend to an awesome dive site and over dinner with everyone smiling tell the tall tales of the dive. Never say a word about her missing out or that you want her to dive. After a few times of this...

I too got lucky. My gal had dove before in France, but CMAS classes were too long for her to get certified. She purchased all her own gear and is ready to go as soon as she recovers from her injuries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom