How did the first scuba divers fin swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I´m very please to reply about this "hot" question.

▪ Note that I'm a diver with about 6000 dives especially made in uw caves and in any other field, competition, cinema, tv, commercial, fishing and teaching, I'm a lover of history and tecnology and so I have read many books and manuals. Visit my account and relative articles writed in italian wikipedia Abyssadventurer
▪ To well understand about SCUBA diving evolution obviously need to well know the Italian uw dive History, becouse is from there that the modern diving era was created and also before with the helmet or hard hat diver, in italian language simple Palombaro.
▪ Italian divers was very well know and appreciated. Very famous in the world was in 1930 the incredible italian divers team of Alberto Gianni, the inventor of the deco chamber and many other deep diving device, members of the SORIMA salvage company, see the salvage several books of mr David Scott like "The Egypt gold", "Seventy Fathom Deep" and the "Artiglio" ship realative articles. Before with the roman era very well know were the salvage team of "Urinatores". The SCUBA diving era (this is an american acronym but the correct word before was the italian ARO and after the Cousteu inventions the ARA diving) born from Liguria region and the closest south coast of France. All the first underwater diving equipment factory was established in Liguria region, mostly in Genova and close to, see Mares, Techisub, Cressisub and Scubapro and before the Salvas, the Cirio sub, the GSD and the many other and the only Milanese was the Pirelli becouse it's rubber industry and for that the Pirelli then produced all the diving equipment set and more the inflatables boats becouse the first divers needed it. Afterward in France Cousteau and Gagnan ideated the first one stage (Mistral) and after the two stage (Aquilon) air regulator creating the ARA (auto respiratore ad aria) both produced by Technisub/Aqualung partnership. So we are proud and we breath about the uw diving atmosphere from when we born being part of this great tradition.
▪ First argument is very clear: why frog man? in italian uomo rana.
▪ Curious answer: for the color of the skin? Anthony Appleyard added this contribute "their appearance in black rubber suits and swimfins" changing my "an underwater swimming style similar to that of frogs". It is note the frogs are green and not black, and the frogs have no swimfins.
▪ All the italian old divers licenced by italian fishing federation FIPS (now FIPSAS), founder and part of CMAS, the only organization in Italy until the end of '70 years to use a diving manual ("Scendete sott'acqua con me" edited about 1959, a mix of tech and novels, and the evoluted "Manuale Federale di Immersione" by Duilio Marcante edited by LaCuba in 1979), know exactly that if you do not make the perfect skills of both surface and underwater swimming with frog style, italian nuoto a rana, at that period it was not possible to continue the course, becouse for that proud italian diving teachers the frog style (breast stroke), with the holding breath skills, was foundamental for a perfect diver becouse it is the most efficient underwater swim metod without fins. This was becouse the genoeses Duilio Marcante with Ferraro (Founder of Technisub) ( Luigi Ferraro) Gold Medal for military underwater missions, and the other first instructors were part of the military diving team of the World War II. So the members of first sport diving organization asked to them to write the first diving manual. Obviously that manual was a mix of military and fishing examples of that new sport with the experience of the WWII and becouse the fishing opportunity was the great motivation of the new modern divers.
▪ To know the story:
▪ Before there was the hard hat divers, about '20 years then the italian Dario Gonzatti, friend of Marcante, invented the mask using a piece of a tyre rubber gluing it with a piece of glass and start to sperafishing, and the only way to move without the flippers was to swim with the frog style, holding the breath and after adapting and using the ARO from the Siebe and Gorman. The ligurians started to use this system and exploded the "uw fishing fever" with many fans of this new sport in Liguria producing also home made equipment with pieces of wood and or rubber. The italians military palombaroes, headquarterd in LaSpezia, about the '30 years noted that and they start to use that new way obviously walking like the palombaroes was until that moment used to do, but becouse they noted that it was no necessary to stay on the bottom with heavy shoes and than they can "fly" also becouse no more tethered, the only way was to swim like a frog (everybody is free to try). And for this obvious appareance, every body in Italy know, they was nicknamed "Gli uomini rana". In the same period a french guy invented the first pair of rubber fins exactly coping the frog foot with the shape of a frog feet, so very short and impossible to use kicking (to remember there was made also several pair of gloves with the same shape very similar with the Leonardo da Vinci design Leonardo da Vinci - Guanto palmato - museoscienza. The military team start to use this kind of flippers, made under secret by Pirelli with the same shape, and started to use them obviously swimming with a frog style like they was trained in swimming pool and using to do when they was autonoming learning, adding also the real apparence when they was using both frog shaped gloves and fins confirming the nickname of frog man. These kinds of fins was not efficent and so after the war Ferraro and Cressi created finally the longest models finally starting to swim kicking becouse obviously was not efficent to swim with such longest fins like frogs see: Rondine Fins | Luigi Ferraro and discovering the more best efficiency in move forward.
▪ If somebody want to read about the frog style lessons in the manuale federale di immersione of Marcante is sold now in ebay at Manuale federale di Immersione with another interesting diving book of same author here Questo é lo sport sub sometime it is possible to find also the original manual "Scendete sott'acqua con me".

▪ Hoping to have made enough light about this argument I say hello to every body :wink::)

Adventurediver Alghero sardinia

Actually the first Cousteau- Gagnan regulator known as the CG45 was a two stage regulator, the single stage Mistral was developed 10 years later in 1955.

The year following the Gagnon/Cousteu invention of the regulator, Frank Hammett of Palm Beach florida, used the Gagnon concept to create his own regulator, and used Co2 tanks for holding air. Frank went on to find all the major reefs now enjoyed by divers today in Palm Beach. Frank also invented DRIFT DIVING....All of the dives he was doing in the mid to late fifties and beyond, were over the drift current areas of Palm Beach, where it essentially impossible to anchor dive. Franks began towing a milk jug, and having a boat follow him...thus the invention of Drift Diving. Franks went on to create the first Dive shop and Dive charter in Palm beach, as well as to go on to be one of the first very deep diving explorers...He was doing the deep Jupiter ledge in the early 60's that was 140 feet deep and went for miles....and around 1965 went down the Grand Cayman wall to 350 feet on a single 72...found himslef "falling asleep" underwater at that depth, and decided it was stupid to dive that deep any more :)
On his 140 foot dives, as became typical of many of the early deeper divers of the 60's and 70's, when he stopped getting air from his tank, after 10 to 15 minutes, that meant that you would pull the j valve, allowing you time to shoot one more fish before you would run out of air, which would signal the beginning of your free ascent. Routinely, Frank would suck a tank dry at 140, free ascend, grab another tank, and do this all over again. Never bent ( that anyone ever heard of) , Frank had a freakishly high VO2 Max and ability to offgas far beyond normal humans. In his late 60's Frank could still easily outswim 99% of the bad-ass hunter-killer spearfishing divers that frequented his boat throughout the mid to late nineties.
He is still alive today, but had knee replacements (near 80 or older now) and is not sure he could get in and out of the water functionally--but he would still dive, given the right opportunity :)
He has stories of diving the deep reefs in the old days when huge fish and monster sharks were everywhere...when the ocean was NOTHING like what it is today...A master story teller, if Earnest Hemmingway had ever sat down with Frank, he would have listened to Frank for weeks on end :)

Last edited:
When a manufacture of a product says it is new and improved it usually means they have found a way to make it for less money and sell it for more money.

I posted the following elsewhere:

I have considered getting a new reg, but each time I've tried something - well, it's had issues, or it wasn't really that much/measurably better than my old tried and true 1980-90s Oasis. I've never had an issue with my Oasis - never! Been high altitude diving in fresh clear 40s degree water - never a hickup. Been diving at 130 ft in the Red Sea - don't even think about breathing. Why would I want anything else? My son has been my buddy in these same waters with his Conshelf.

My PADI Instructor son has 700+ instructor dives in the Red Sea on his AL Conshelf and that is also what he has as a backup - never a problem. He doesn't want anything else. Of course now that he's 25, getting married in July, and living in Cold-Murky Waters of the the Pacific NW, he's smartened up, knows he'll not make his "fortune" in diving and is therefore in college and finishing his 2nd year!

Altogether we have 7 regulators, between my son and I, that are ready to go (we have a number of others that we use for "boat horns" and filling tires ). I have 2 80-90s Sherwoods Oasis and he has same vintage 2 AL Conshelfs and I have another Conshelf. Then I have a Magnum and an Oasis 2 - neither of these match up to my 2 older Oasis. I don't know where Sherwood went wrong, but my LDS tec agrees - nothing matches these older faithful Sherwoods or Conshelfs.

So, I really don't think that there has been any real progress in the area of regulators. Yes, there are some "ferraris" that are particular/finicky/gimmicky and need special tuning, but I'll/we'll stay with my/our "camry" - regular maintained and they just keep running.

Adventurediver wrote:

>.Before with the roman era very well know were the salvage team of "Urinatores".

This is genuine Classical Latin usage (rather than postclassical medical Latin usage): urina = "urine", but urinare and urinari = "to dive". Modern languages descended from Latin have changed usage (no wonder!): e.g. French plonger from Latin *plumbiare.

> Curious answer: for the color of the skin? Anthony Appleyard added this contribute "their appearance in black rubber suits and swimfins" changing my "an underwater swimming style similar to that of frogs". It is note the frogs are green and not black, and the frogs have no swimfins.

Frogs are not always green, but various colors. The Common Frog of Britain Rana temporaria is usually brownish, but can change color somewhat, like a chamaeleon but not as much or as quick. (I am British.)

It must be admitted that frogs' feet look rather like swimfins, except in some specialized tree-climbing species of frog.

Not to mention anything older would be 20yrs old and by most definitions an antique.. Next year it will be 1993 for the new cutoff date, for me...

Some people will say pretty much anything in order NOT to say, "MY BAD; I was answering my own interpretation of the OP, which was actually nothing like the OP!"

How did the first scuba divers fin swim?

This query arose from current edits to the Wikipedia page "Frogman"
Frogman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since we are discussing this because of a Wikipedia page, let's look at a few more Wikipedia pages....

Antique - Wikipedia:
The definition of antique varies from source to source, product to product, and year to year. However, some time-tested definitions of antique deserve consideration, such as the following:

1. "An item which is at least 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature. Motor vehicles, power tools and other items subject to vigorous use in contrast, may be considered vintage in the US if older than 50 years, and some electronic gadgets of more recent vintage may be considered antiques. Another general rule of thumb from the US customs office is 100 years for most objects to become antiques."[citation needed]
2. "Any piece of furniture or decorative object or the like produced in a former period and valuable because of its beauty or rarity."[citation needed]

In the United States, the 1930 Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act defined an antique as "works of art (except rugs and carpets made after the year 1700), collections in illustration of the progress of the arts, works in bronze, marble, terra cotta, parian, pottery or porcelain, artistic antiquities and objects of ornamental character or educational value which shall have been produced prior to the year 1830."[citation needed] 1830 was roughly the beginning of mass production in the US and 100 years older than 1930 Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act.

These definitions allow people to make a distinction between genuine antique pieces, vintage items, and collectible objects.

Scuba Diving - Wikipedia:
The first commercially successful scuba sets were the Aqualung open-circuit units developed by Emile Gagnan and Jacques-Yves Cousteau, in which compressed gas (usually air) is inhaled from a tank and then exhaled into the water adjacent to the tank. However, the scuba regulators of today, trace their origins to Australia, where Ted Eldred developed the first mouth piece regulator known as the Porpoise. This regulator was developed because patents protected the Aqua Lung's double hose design. It separated the cylinder from the demand valve giving the diver air at the same pressure surrounding his mouth, not surrounding the tank.

The term "SCUBA" (an acronym for self-contained underwater breathing apparatus) arose during World War II, and originally referred to United States combat frogmen's oxygen rebreathers, developed by Dr. Christian Lambertsen for underwater warfare.[3][4][5]

The word "SCUBA" began as an acronym, but it is now usually thought of as a regular word—"scuba". It has become acceptable to refer to "scuba equipment" or "scuba apparatus"—examples of the linguistic RAS syndrome.

Frogman - Wikipedia:
A frogman is someone who is trained to scuba diving and/or swim underwater in a military capacity which can include combat. Such personnel are also known by the more formal names of combat diver or combatant diver or combat swimmer.

The first well-known frogmen were the navy diver members of World War II Italian commando frogmen, now ComSubIn, being part of Decima Flottiglia MAS, nicknamed "Uomini Rana", Italian for "frog men", because of an underwater swimming frog kick style, similar to that of frogs[1]. Originally these divers were called "Uomini Gamma" because they were members of the top secret special unit called "Gruppo Gamma", which originated from the kind of rubber skin-suit (muta gamma) used by these divers, but Uomini Rana was afterwards commonly used. This special corps used an early scuba set which did not make bubbles, called A.R.O acronym of Auto Respiratore ad Ossigeno, an evolution of the Dräger oxygen self-contained breathing apparatus designed for the mining industry and of the Davis Submerged Escape Apparatus made by Siebe, Gorman & Co and by Bergomi[2] designed for escaping from sunken submarines. This was used from about 1920 for spearfishing by Italian sport divers, modified and adapted by the Italian navy engineers for safe underwater use and build by Pirelli and SALVAS from about 1933, and so became a precursor of the modern rebreather[3][4][5][6].

Last edited:
In all seriousness; if there was a shred of a chance that the frogman term was "coined" because Italian Commando's were doing the frog kick, there would be some ex Italian Commando here on ScubaBoard typing....

"What took you so long? I was frog kicking way back in WWII." :eyebrow:

Copied from the book Frogmen by C B Colby.

The first underwater demolition team was composed of Seabees from the NCB Training Center at Camp Peary, Virginia. These men were chosen mainly because of their knowledge of blasting with high explosives. The first volunteers answered the call on May 6, 1943, to form the original UDT.

Since then the Frogmen, as they were promptly nicknamed because of their tight rubber suits and long froglike rubber flippers, have learned a bagful of tricks to confound out enemies in waters around the world. And they are stuffing these bags with new ones every year.

frogmenbook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom