Deep 6 Eddy OW wreck review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Eddy fins my new favorites:

I wear a 10.5 shoe and use a size 10 hard sole 5mm neoprene bootie (DGX specials). I originally ordered the Large Eddy's and determined them to be a touch too small for my size foot (pressed against the top of my foot and squished my toes) and exchanged them for a set of XL's. With the large, the foot pocket was uncomfortable and I could not figure out why people were talking about these foot pockets like they we the greatest thing to happen to scuba since the air compressor... Fast forward to my first OW dive with the XL size and I can now say "I get it". When you find the right size these things fit like a pair of trusty Chuck Taylors. For years I religiously dove Hollis F1's but hated the weight when diving wet. I thought the Hollis fins were comfy, the Deep6's blow them out of the water. These are now by far my favorite fins. When a negative version is released I will certainly be ordering a pair as well.

First OW dive:
Lady Luck wreck in pompano beach FL with BP/W, 3mm wetsuit, and HP100 with a roughly 2kt current (it was rippin...)

In order to stay on the downline finning was a must, it was almost impossible to just hang on and hand over hand down. I found that with slow and deliberate frog kicks I had plenty of thrust with a really nice resistance and feedback that was more than adequate to maintain the downline without much effort.

Once on the wreck, I found that when swimming against the current, a flutter kick was not really necessary due to the efficiency when frog kicking. I did try a flutter just to try them out and they did work fine but frog kicking is really where these fins shine.

Back-kicking, helicopters and modified frog/ flutter were both very very good. I found slower deliberate strokes were far more controllable and efficient than the more rapid technique of softer fins. The amount of finite control and feedback are probably the best I have felt in a fin. When in tight quarters, these fins provide an exact and proportionate response allowing very exact control which makes you look like a better diver than you really are.
:wink:

As far as trim, with my only weight being my 6# SS BP I am perfectly trimmed with these fins. While snorkeling with just mask, snorkel, fins, and booties, my feet were quite floaty. Once in dive gear, the trim was perfect!

These feel like a quality product but do have a slightly plastic feel. That combined with the bright duck foot orange earned me a lot of questions from other divers on the boat. They asked if I got them at Walmart. I had to explain to everyone the benefits of the material and how the color was a bonus. A little side note, after the second dive my buddy and I surfaced with the boat nowhere in sight... I blew a bag and laid on my back and allowed my duckfeet to stick up out of the water (3-4 foot seas). Roughly 20 minutes later when the boat arrived the captain told me he saw my fins before he saw the bag!!!

These fins are STIFF! They will certainly take a little getting used to for divers used to a softer fin. At first my legs were getting tired, specifically my shins. I quickly figured out that if I slowed down and let the stiffness and design of the fin do the work that I could swim all day with them.

Overall I really like these fins and highly recommend them to anyone wanting a professional grade fin that is lightweight, gives great response (like road feel in a sports car), and offers very precise control in most finning techniques. The only person I would not recommend these to would be a flutter kicker, but that isn't what these are for...

I hope this is helpful for anyone who is looking at trying these fins out. Any questions are welcome.

Thank you very much for the review.

I am somewhat perplexed in that you had to have missed something we wrote on the web site regarding sizing.. because I am the same size feet as you are.... or you thought we weren't being honest. :wink:

"Chris has a 10.5 D US shoe size and is wearing the Large with wetsuit boots or his drysuit that has thinner boots (neoprene with a sole) and the XL when wearing wetsuit boots with the sneaker style sole or his drysuit with larger boots."

Ya... I missed this part.

when wearing wetsuit boots with the sneaker style sole or his drysuit with larger boots."

And ordered after reading this part in my childish excitement to get new stuff

Chris has a 10.5 D US shoe size and is wearing the Large with wetsuit boots

Thanks for making a great product @cerich

Ya... I missed this part.

And ordered after reading this part in my childish excitement to get new stuff

Thanks for making a great product @cerich
don't get me wrong, I am really happy to hear you are digging the fins.. I was just reading it and asking myslelf if we had killed that part from the we site so I checked.. and it was still there. LOL

We get half a dozen to a dozen emails and calls a day asking what size fin to get, and about a quarter of them seem to be "I am a size 10.5, what size fins do I get?" It's... what it is I guess, I really can't figure out a way to explain it all any better.

@cerich

Chris has a 10.5 D US shoe size and is wearing XL Eddy Fins when wearing wetsuit boots with the sneaker style sole or his drysuit with boots. With thin booties with soft soles, neoprene socks, or soft drysuit boots with thin soles, he wears a large.

I know it seems trivial but obviously, I am not the only dum dum to be confused.

@cerich

Chris has a 10.5 D US shoe size and is wearing XL Eddy Fins when wearing wetsuit boots with the sneaker style sole or his drysuit with boots. With thin booties with soft soles, neoprene socks, or soft drysuit boots with thin soles, he wears a large.

I know it seems trivial but obviously, I am not the only dum dum to be confused.
Hey I can try that for sure. Really, it's almost become (actually not almost it is) the office joke. That said, I know that it's gotta be partly our fault or it wouldn't be happening so much, but being too close to it the solution has eluded us.

@cerich

changed it to your version..I shall report back in a couple weeks!

Im a 10.5 shoe and wear a 10 in a Mares Trilastic hard sole boot. Recently ordered a large based off an email recommendation from Deep 6.
They felt a bit small and were returned them for XL's. Unfortunately there is side to side wiggle in the XL. Im going to have to sell them and decide if I should try the large again....Or maybe go with different boots.

@cerich I hope it works out for you lol. In all seriousness though a very nice job with these fins. I also dove your 30# wing on the same dive (first time) and have very positive things to say about it as well. Keep up the good work!

@cerich,

Would it make sense to provide the circumference of your feet in the different configurations?

There had to be a clearer way.

Reading this makes me want to try the XLs (which I have now in my demo set).

Back
Top Bottom