Passing the Swim Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The swim test was my least favorite part of OW training. Not because I'm a bad swimmer, but because I'm an excellent swimmer who sinks faster than most rocks. They didn't give us the option of doing the 200m swim, only the 300m snorkel, until another student called them on it because she was getting panicky using a snorkel (but had no problems with the regulator, oddly). I was annoyed because I could have done a 200m freestyle in about 3 minutes, tops. Then came the dreaded float. I'm pretty sure my wife took a 10 minute nap while I got told repeatedly to stop kicking and start floating. Floating on my back has been a requirement in zero of my dives since.

10 lb weight? I would have happily held a 20 lb weight for 2 minutes, given the option.

Last edited:
A good thread. I appreciate Trace starting it because it has brought out some good discussion. I find myself in agreement with his views in part, and divergent (not necessarily disagreeing, just holding a different opinion) in part.

I fully agree with regard to the value of swimming. And, if participation in the course enhances their existing skills, or creates excitement for pursuing swimming activities independent of diving, that is a good outcome. Honestly, I prefer that someone who cannot swim comfortably – even if they manage to complete a 200 yard swim – not pursue scuba training until they improve their swimming skills. Yes, I can understand the comments that scuba training may actually encourage individuals to continue swimming. That’s great. But, if someone comes to the class with marginal swimming skills, I have to wonder if they will get maximum benefit from the course.

To be fair, I have a possibly distorted expectation with regard to swimming skills. I think everyone should know how to swim (however unrealistic that may be :)). I grew up in a coastal community, in a social group where swimming was simply an unspoken but consensus expectation. ‘You can’t SWIM???? What’s wrong with you?’ :) I was a late starter in learning, and I think my parents put me in swim lessons because a) as a non-swimmer / weak swimmer, I was materially hindered in my summer social activities, and subjected to some generally good-natured ridicule as well, and b) they believed that swimming was an integral part of living – one of those basic life skills. It does concern me that there doesn’t seem to be a pervasive level of encouragement present today that leads a substantial number of young people to learn to swim. There seem to be more public-access and community pools available than ever (I learned to swim by taking lessons in a university pool, the only one available beyond the neighborhood Boy’s Club, and the local country club where we were not members). And, lots of competitive swimming goes on in middle and high schools. Yet, there is a large group of youngsters that never learns to swim. However, I am not in a position to correct that at a societal level. I made sure that all of our 4 children started with Water Babies, continued with swim lessons, and pursued water activities as possible. And, three are certified adult divers today. But, the important part was learning to swim, which all did long BEFORE they ever pursued dive instruction.

But, where my views may diverge: from my perspective, taking scuba lessons is NOT the place to learn to swim. I am not a swim instructor, I am a scuba instructor. If you are inspired to begin / resume regular swimming by taking an OW course with me, fantastic. But, don’t expect that I will teach you how to swim, or help you learn how to swim. I don’t really care whether you can crawl, and/or backstroke, and/or sidestroke. If all you can do is breast stroke, so be it. I DO care if you can 'survive' on the surface, by treading water / floating / swimming around. And, more to the point, you do have to be able to propel yourself from one point to another, in case you need to swim into shore, or to a boat. I don't care which stroke. BUT, I am particularly interested in how well you can propel yourself through the water in scuba gear, which includes mouth-breathing underwater, even though you’ve been a nose-breather all your life, and involves moving through the water with those big things that go on your feet - fins. So, I do not consider the 300-yard mask / snorkel / fins swim to be a ‘cheat’ by any stretch. (Actually, I do care if you know how to frog kick – it is a big help, because that is what I prefer students to use in my courses.) In fact, I require my students to do the 300 yard swim. The 200 yard ‘ungeared’ swim is not an option that I offer. I want to see how the student handles those big swimmy things on their feet (if they struggle with using fins in the water, the course is possibly going to be a challenge for them). I want to see how they handle breathing through their mouth (ONLY) for 300 yards (if they struggle with snorkel breathing on the surface, the course is possibly going to be a challenge for them). I want to know from day one what I am dealing with. I had one adult student, who had been on a high school swim team, struggle throughout the course with using fins. He finished. And, he developed some finning skills during and more after certification training. But, I was able to help him complete the course because he was a private student. If he had been in a group class, I would have asked him to withdraw, and consider private lessons.

If a student struggles to complete the 300 yard mask / snorkel / fins swim, and I have had a few that have, I will most likely recommend that they practice or pursue swim lessons before taking a course with me.

Last edited:
Then came the dreaded float. I'm pretty sure my wife took a 10 minute nap while I got told repeatedly to stop kicking and start floating.
There is no requirement that you float without kicking. here is the wording--all of it:

Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate
that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too
deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/
float without using any swim aids.​

To put it in other words, you have to stay in water too deep to stand in for 10 minutes without drowning. That's it. (I tell students that if they drown, they automatically fail the class, with no refunds.)

There is no requirement that you float without kicking.
Oh, I know. That's why I didn't really care. Our instructors were just really picky about some things being done their way for no good reason and floating was one of them.

The swim test was my least favorite part of OW training. Not because I'm a bad swimmer, but because I'm an excellent swimmer who sinks faster than most rocks. They didn't give us the option of doing the 200m swim, only the 300m snorkel, until another student called them on it because she was getting panicky using a snorkel (but had no problems with the regulator, oddly). I was annoyed because I could have done a 200m freestyle in about 3 minutes, tops. Then came the dreaded float. I'm pretty sure my wife took a 10 minute nap while I got told repeatedly to stop kicking and start floating. Floating on my back has been a requirement in zero of my dives since.

10 lb weight? I would have happily held a 20 lb weight for 2 minutes, given the option.

As mentioned, the float really isn't that - it is a survival swim/float. So long as you stay alfoat, however you achieve it, AFAIK that is a pass as John says below
There is no requirement that you float without kicking. here is the wording--all of it:

Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate
that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too
deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/
float without using any swim aids.​

To put it in other words, you have to stay in water too deep to stand in for 10 minutes without drowning. That's it. (I tell students that if they drown, they automatically fail the class, with no refunds.)
I am no instructor but that was my understanding of it - the required standard for all WRSTC affiliated bodies such as PADI and SSI is
"Physical Conditioning and Watermanship Evaluation.
The student shall effectively demonstrate basic watermanship ability by performing, to an instructor, the watermanship evaluation required by a training organization. This watermanship evaluation shall include
either: a) continuous 200 yard (183 metre) surface distance swim and a 10 minute survival swim/float
without the use of mask, fins, snorkel or of other swimming aids;
b) 300 yard swim using mask, fins and snorkel, and a 10 minute survival swim/float without mask, fins, snorkel or other swimming aid. If an exposure suit is used, the wearer must be neutrally buoyant at the surface."
(cut and pasted from their standards for OW diver) which to me means use any method you like to stay afloat without any buoyancy aids. That means kick, flap your arms about, float upright or on your back or front - everything goes apart from using anything such as a float, pool noodle, wetsuit for buoyancy.

(cut and pasted from their standards for OW diver) which to me means use any method you like to stay afloat without any buoyancy aids. That means kick, flap your arms about, float upright or on your back or front - everything goes apart from using anything such as a float, pool noodle, wetsuit for buoyancy.
You really don't even have to stay afloat. Your 10 minutes could be spent in a series of free dives to the bottom of the pool and back.

You really don't even have to stay afloat. Your 10 minutes could be spent in a series of free dives to the bottom of the pool and back.
Good point - it doesn't actually say anything other than "survival swim" so that means, as you said, so long as you don't die for that 10 minutes in the water you have passed!

It follows that if you drown at 10:01, you've still passed.

Back
Top Bottom