Hotel recommendations in Honolulu / Waikkiki area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So me and my fiancee are looking to do a February trip to Oahu (it'll be our first time) and we plan to go diving with Gabe, so finding a dive op is solved, but I'm having a hell of a time searching the forums for info on lodging recommendations. What hotels in Honolulu would you guys recommend? We're looking to get a room for hopefully under 100/night (70 or 80/night would be great but all the hotels I've looked at in that price range had fairly awful reviews on Expedia) since we just want to use the room to relax at night and sleep...not asking for much, just want a clean, decent room with a reasonably comfortable bed. Since it is a vacation, don't care much about how good the TV is or if there's free wi-fi, can do that at home.

My wife and I stayed at the OHANA East hotel in 2008, and we had no complaints or issues with the hotel whatsoever. It's only a couple a blocks from Waikiki Beach, and within walking distance of the major shopping and dining areas.

OHANA Waikiki East - Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii - - OHANA Hotels & Resorts

We stayed in the standard room (cheapest) and it had everything you asked for: clean, decent, comfortable bed, etc. The rates for a standard room in February appear to be around $105 per night. You might be able to get a cheaper rate through sites like Expedia, Orbitz, or Priceline

Another vote for the Aqua chain (or at least the Aqua Wave). Stayed there a few times, about 100/night the times I've gone. They have different rates on their site (last I checked), so you may wanna check if any of those apply to you (AAA/senior/military/etc), and/or if they're cheaper than whatever web/sale rate they may have. Not sure how parking works there, which is a cost you should factor in if keeping a rental car while in Waikiki.

Another vote for the Aqua Chain. They have several hotels.

I think your idea of staying in Waikiki is a good one. With the expansions and remodels that have happened in the past couple years you will be able to see a lot and you are in walking distance of a whole host of restaurants from Cheap to Expensive. There is inexpensive bus travel around the island that you can catch at your door, or at Al Moana.

You might also check the airline web pages. I know a couple of them have airfare/hotel packages that are very attractive.

So me and my fiancee are looking to do a February trip to Oahu (it'll be our first time) and we plan to go diving with Gabe, so finding a dive op is solved, but I'm having a hell of a time searching the forums for info on lodging recommendations. What hotels in Honolulu would you guys recommend? We're looking to get a room for hopefully under 100/night (70 or 80/night would be great but all the hotels I've looked at in that price range had fairly awful reviews on Expedia) since we just want to use the room to relax at night and sleep...not asking for much, just want a clean, decent room with a reasonably comfortable bed. Since it is a vacation, don't care much about how good the TV is or if there's free wi-fi, can do that at home.
Okay . . .budget no frills, right in walking distance of everything in Waikiki:
Continental Surf Hotel

I use this hotel as a stopover on way back home from trips to SE Asia/Philippines/Micronesia, visiting friends on Oahu and Scuba with Island Divers. Usually have Fun Hawaii Travel Agency set up a good hotel/rental car package deal, based on whatever's left in my travel budget coming back from SE Asia. . .:wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! We have our trip booked and decided to go with EWA Hotel Waikkiki (EWA Hotel Waikiki). The Aqua chain does have great prices, but I read countless reviews on Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc. about the noise being horrendous. I'm not sure it'll be any better at EWA, but it's not right on the beach and it looks to be east of the main part of Waikkiki (I think), so I'm hoping it will be less noisy at any rate. Definitely appreciate the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom