Hotel Cozumel?..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go through air fast and get short dives, be mindful some op.s (Living Underwater and I think Aldora, for example), have big steel tanks (120 cf I believe) instead of the just the ubiquitous 80 cf aluminum tanks some places in the Caribbean almost solely use.

Have fun; make us a trip report afterward & let us know how it went.

Richard.

All dive shops can and will get you AL 100 if you need. :) They are larger and heavier though.

There was some confusion about the boat dive fee one night ($38 vs $30) as well. A few days later our DM came to me and told us he made a mistake when he charged us $38 and offered to refund the difference. I told him thanks for being honest about the mistake and to keep the $16 bucks. We got to hit Devil's Throat on this trip as well because we got there a day early and Dennis was able to get us on a fast boat.

It's nice to hear that honest people are still in this world. :eek:) Devil's throat?... May I ask what that is?

It's nice to hear that honest people are still in this world. :eek:) Devil's throat?... May I ask what that is?
It's a long swim thru that was more interesting before hurricane Wilma knocked off the cross shaped sponge. It comes out deep in an interesting area, but I found the Throat a little boring the second time. It's one to do once I guess, depending on experience and comfort levels.

I also attended Invasion, and mostly agree with what folks are saying. I wasn't impressed with the food much at all, though. If you're a foodie, there are better choices. My wife and I are currently staying at Scuba Club Cozumel, which borders Cozumel Hotel, one dock north. The food is several grades better here. The facilities are not as sophisticated as Hotel Coz, but the rooms are authenticaly quaint, and the beds are great. I always recommend traveling with your own pillow. Unfortunately we head home Saturday :( It's been a fantastic trip. I'll agree, go see the whale sharks, if at all possible.

I've stayed at Hotel Cozumel and dived with Aldora Divers. Had it to do again, I would stay at Villla Aldora, in fact, I will on my next visit to Cozumel.

Good diving, Craig

Never..ever stay at Hotel Cozumel during Spring break for the schools down there. They give day passes to the locals and it's not a fun time. Other than that time of year, I'd try it again.. but you get what you pay for and I agree with others who said the food is just ok.

I stayed at Hotel Cozumel back in December for my first real dive trip, used onsite Dive Paradise. Room was clean, comfortable, quiet. Food was fair to bad, although breakfasts were pretty good. Staff was helpful and courteous. Dive shop was great, very helpful and nice people. Only drawback there was the slow boats, took forever to get to dive sites. But, for the price, all of the negatives could be overlooked. The dive/hotel/all inclusive (food and booze) package was the best I could find at the time.

But, now that I know Cozumel a little better, next month I'm going to stay at a dive/hotel package that offers breakfast only (Blue Angel). I'd rather have the flexibility to go into town for dinner and I don't drink enough alcohol to make that aspect of the all-inclusive worthwhile.

Only drawback there was the slow boats, took forever to get to dive sites.

They do offer fast boats, too you have to ask for them and the maximum is 6 divers.

I checked and the cost difference to stay AI (all inclusive) verses European plan it is $13 per day extra! A couple of fruity, umbrella drinks, a big breakfast, or lunch with a cerveza would eat that up. It's a "no brainer" to go AI and not feel guilty when we eat or drink "off campus" at some of our favorite local restuarants/bars.

I stayed at Hotel Cozumel back in December for my first real dive trip, used onsite Dive Paradise. Room was clean, comfortable, quiet. Food was fair to bad, although breakfasts were pretty good. Staff was helpful and courteous. Dive shop was great, very helpful and nice people. Only drawback there was the slow boats, took forever to get to dive sites. But, for the price, all of the negatives could be overlooked. The dive/hotel/all inclusive (food and booze) package was the best I could find at the time.

But, now that I know Cozumel a little better, next month I'm going to stay at a dive/hotel package that offers breakfast only (Blue Angel). I'd rather have the flexibility to go into town for dinner and I don't drink enough alcohol to make that aspect of the all-inclusive worthwhile.
I think that Dive Paradise has some faster boats, at higher rates. Blue Angel is a delightful hotel, stayed there many times, but their rates got up to $100/night. :shakehead: Too much on this solo traveler. Nice to see that their rates have come down so, $63 on Kayak linking to Hotelclub.com - altho I don't know anything about booking thru that site. Their old booking methods were a problem, but I read about that change.

I suppose that first you should define what "forever" is. I don't think any of the dive sites I went to took anymore than about 30-45 minutes at the most in the big slow boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom