Hoseless vs non-integrated Watch computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Stuart! I haven't read it yet but yes, I had seen it :) I'll go through it soon.

computers_atom30_blue1_1.jpgcard-oceanic-atom-3-features.jpg
If you are still looking for a wrist watch computer. I have an almost brand new Oceanic Atom 3.1 for sale.

Lol I love the entrepreneurial spirit on this site!

PM me what your offer is and we'll c :wink:

Huh? Is that in response to my statement that "if you're going to carry a computer and a depth gauge+bottom timer, you may as well just carry 2 computers?"

If so, it might be helpful to point out where he can get a depth gauge and timer for cheap. You can get a decent second computer for $200 or less, brand new. So a depth gauge/timer would have to be pretty darn cheap to really save enough money that it makes sense to go that route, even for someone on a serious budget.

@chadmeister: If you already have an Oceanic computer, then another Oceanic or an Aeris (owned by the same company) would be a good option, so that your backup has the same algorithm as your primary. I think Sherwood computers also have a similarly liberal algorithm to the Oceanics, so that might be another decent choice.

The object would be to have your backup computer be at least as liberal (on calculating NDLs) as your primary, so that you don't end up in a situation where you have to decide between, either, ending your dive early because your backup computer says you're out of NDL, even though your primary says you still have more time, OR staying down and putting your backup into deco, which then potentially results in your backup computer getting locked out for 24 hours.

If you haven't read it yet, you might find some useful info in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html

Yeah sorry, didn't read post properly.

I know what redundancy is lol isn't it already redundant when you have an SPG tellin you your pressure and if it comes with depth gauge too, you're pretty much covered! Am I misunderstanding something??
Yeah: SB's usual YOUR GONNA DIE! mantra. In reality two things happen if your computer dies in the middle of a diving vacation -- unless things go seriously titsup and you have more problems than just a dead DC:
  1. you may or may not abort the dive when it dies
  2. and
    • you may or may not have to sit out a 24-hour period before you can safely use a rented/bought replacement or
    • you may have to abort the rest of the trip if there's no replacement to be had.
So depending on how and where you dive, you may or may not care about having a backup computer: if I'm on Bonaire and my DC packs it on day 1, I'll rent and skip the 24-hr wait. If I'm in remote SE Asia and looking at #2.b scenario -- I'll have a backup DC.
Edit: and yes, you can dive tables and watch and depth gauge, but if I'm spending like $6K+ on a trip to remote SEA I'd seriously consider adding 3% more for a backup DC so I can ride it and get more bottom time out of that trip.

wonder if trip insurance would cover a dead computer issue...... :headscratch:

wonder if trip insurance would cover a dead computer issue...... :headscratch:
Yeah but you'd still want the replacement right there and then... unless you're diving tables anyway.

Yeah but you'd still want the replacement right there and then... unless you're diving tables anyway.

I was thinking a loss claim due to having to sit out for 24...... :D

DG03(US$249.00 at DGX) without the transmitter(UA$249.00) is NOT a AI. The combined cost is US$498.00. While at Leisure Pro you can buy one Oceanic Veo 1(US$169.95) or Veo 180(US$199.95). So TWO Veo 1 + spg will only set you back around US$400.00. I am yet to find out any disadvantages of having two computers.
The point is if you're undecided about AI you can buy and use DG03 without the transmitter for $250. If you compare its feature set with that of Veo 180, the only reason to buy the Veo is if you absolutely unable to cough up the extra fifty (in which case you picked yourself a wrong hobby). It's entirely up to you: you can buy a DC with more features and potential future expansion to AI, or you can buy two crappy DCs in case one fails. There are pros and cons to either.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 12:45 PM ----------

I was thinking a loss claim due to having to sit out for 24...... :D
Oh, right. I expect even if you get the money in 24 hours, chances are you can't get the replacement you want in the same 24 hours and you'd still have to finish your trip diving something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom