Hoseless vs non-integrated Watch computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redundancy!!!!

I know what redundancy is lol isn't it already redundant when you have an SPG tellin you your pressure and if it comes with depth gauge too, you're pretty much covered!

Am I misunderstanding something??

I know what redundancy is lol isn't it already redundant when you have an SPG tellin you your pressure and if it comes with depth gauge too, you're pretty much covered!
Am I misunderstanding something??
If your computer pack up during the dive what would you do?
Ascend and call the dive. Your spg and depth gauge won't give you anything on ndl and time.
But if you have another computer then you have the choice to continue the dive or call the dive. And you don't have to hire another computer or using table to plan your next dive.

Your spg and depth gauge won't tell you anything on ndl or time.

Agreed! Yet, what did people do before computers? Assuming you know how to dive without it, one computer should be ok.

Yes, yes, I know. A computer does help and makes life much much simpler...

Agreed! Yet, what did people do before computers? Assuming you know how to dive without it, one computer should be ok.

They used some kind of bottom timer. Are you going to dive with a computer and a bottom timer? If not, then what Centrals said has not been addressed. If you only have one computer and it dies, your dive is over. And maybe your whole day - unless you have another computer or a depth gauge and timer with you. And if you ARE going carry a computer and a bottom timer, you may as well just carry 2 computers.

They used some kind of bottom timer. Are you going to dive with a computer and a bottom timer? If not, then what Centrals said has not been addressed. If you only have one computer and it dies, your dive is over. And maybe your whole day - unless you have another computer or a depth gauge and timer with you. And if you ARE going carry a computer and a bottom timer, you may as well just carry 2 computers.

Thanks stuartv. Right on the money to clear it up for me :) so what would you guys suggest as a redundant computer? The same one or a cheap alternative? Same brand? Another brand?

I know that Oceanic for example, have their own algorithms. If my Oceanic dies out in the middle of a dive, can I go on with another brand on another algorithm?

Assuming money isn't the limiting factor.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 08:24 AM ----------

Was in response the Stuart's post not yours Chad.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 08:24 AM ----------

Was in response the Stuart's post not yours Chad.

One of the perks of working in Dubai is that money is 'usually' a limiting factor between 2 different buying options and not one buying option and no buying option. Yet, most of us that work here end up not having much of a life to enjoy those perks... Hahaha (even though it was in response to Stuart)

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 01:27 PM ----------

But there is always the significant other thing too (spending too much on scuba stuff can be an issue hehe)

Thanks stuartv. Right on the money to clear it up for me :) so what would you guys suggest as a redundant computer? The same one or a cheap alternative? Same brand? Another brand?

I know that Oceanic for example, have their own algorithms. If my Oceanic dies out in the middle of a dive, can I go on with another brand on another algorithm?

assuming you haven't violated one if the algoryhthm is different and have obviously been wearing both for all dives in same 24 hours, then yes you can continue the dive. The issue can be if using two diff algoryhthms is if one is conservative and the other more liberal then you really need to follow the more conservative of the two or you risk locking one out. Having the same or similar algoryhthms is best way if you are going to dive two computers. Personally I only dive with one and a bottom timer, I've never needed the bottom timer. Like I said earlier I've never had a computer fail in over ten years. If I was a technical diver things may be different.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 08:31 AM ----------

Well money no objet, have at it...I envy you.

Huh? Is that in response to my statement that "if you're going to carry a computer and a depth gauge+bottom timer, you may as well just carry 2 computers?"

If so, it might be helpful to point out where he can get a depth gauge and timer for cheap. You can get a decent second computer for $200 or less, brand new. So a depth gauge/timer would have to be pretty darn cheap to really save enough money that it makes sense to go that route, even for someone on a serious budget.

@chadmeister: If you already have an Oceanic computer, then another Oceanic or an Aeris (owned by the same company) would be a good option, so that your backup has the same algorithm as your primary. I think Sherwood computers also have a similarly liberal algorithm to the Oceanics, so that might be another decent choice.

The object would be to have your backup computer be at least as liberal (on calculating NDLs) as your primary, so that you don't end up in a situation where you have to decide between, either, ending your dive early because your backup computer says you're out of NDL, even though your primary says you still have more time, OR staying down and putting your backup into deco, which then potentially results in your backup computer getting locked out for 24 hours.

If you haven't read it yet, you might find some useful info in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom