Hoseless vs non-integrated Watch computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redundancy!!!!
What would you do if your computer fail while diving?
Happened to me TWICE before on two separated occasions.

Sounds like you select some pretty poor computers. :chuckle:

yes, you can dive tables and watch and depth gauge

And those things aren't free. Nor is it a given that you'd have them. I certainly don't. And if you're spending money to have a dive watch and a depth gauge to use as a backup plan in case your computer dies, how much more would you really have to spend to just get a second computer? Probably at least $100 for a cheap depth gauge and a cheap Casio, right? Everybody is different, but I would spend an extra $80 - 100 to have an actual dive computer instead of a cheap dive watch and depth gauge.

A simple bottom timer is a perfectly adequate back up to a personal dive computer.

And those things aren't free. Nor is it a given that you'd have them. I certainly don't. And if you're spending money to have a dive watch and a depth gauge to use as a backup plan in case your computer dies, how much more would you really have to spend to just get a second computer? Probably at least $100 for a cheap depth gauge and a cheap Casio, right? Everybody is different, but I would spend an extra $80 - 100 to have an actual dive computer instead of a cheap dive watch and depth gauge.
Well, I don't remember ever renting a regulator set without a depth gauge in the console.
Speaking of regulator sets, if you're renting the regs, the shop may not like the idea of adding your transmitter to their rental gear. So to be on the safe side you might want your own regs and then AI is not just $300 for the transmitter.

Well, I don't remember ever renting a regulator set without a depth gauge in the console.

I've only ever dove with a depth gauge/SPG combo here in Dubai. But interesting that rented don't have them in other places...

6b08abb09fbb012f2fe600163e41dd5b

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 02:39 PM ----------

I've only ever dove with a depth gauge/SPG combo here in Dubai. But interesting that rented don't have them in other places...
The only ones I've seen were my OW instructor's "student" kits.

[/COLOR] The only ones I've seen were my OW instructor's "student" kits.

Ah! Well the LDS I learned with is the same I dive with and they only have a standard 'student kit' to dive with. But I've already started compiling my own set(s) :) (to my partner's dismay haha)

Anyway, the gauges are under $10 on e-bay and there's very little that can go wrong with those so I wouldn't hesitate buying them used. Casio "tough solar" are under $30 new and my old one's survived 6m in the pool -- I guess I should start taking it with me on diving trips and see if their "100 m" and "100 bar" is good to 40m.
But the point is it can be under $50 for the watch + gauge.

Sounds like you select some pretty poor computers. :chuckle:
I have yet to hear any poor comment on Uwatec Aladin Pro or Nitrox. After 19yrs the Pro Nitrox is still alive and kicking. Your selection probably last much longer!!

---------- Post added September 18th, 2015 at 08:12 AM ----------

A simple bottom timer is a perfectly adequate back up to a personal dive computer.
Uwatec BT is only about US$30.00 cheaper than a discontinued model.
I have two BT because I use them for tec dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom