Hoseless vs non-integrated Watch computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you figure?

If my computer craps out I pull out the tables I cut for the dive and do a controlled ascent using the bottom timer which gives me depth and time.

If my computer craps out I pull out the tables I cut for the dive and do a controlled ascent using the bottom timer which gives me depth and time.

Oh, I see... you mean a bottom timer WITH a depth gauge AND tables, not just a standalone timer. Yeah, I carry a Uwatec BT, but I guess it's a semantic thing.

Some people use the term "bottom timer" to just refer to a waterproof watch or other timekeeper. But I see what you are referring to.

I guess you just assume square profile for whatever your max depth was?

Oh, I see... you mean a bottom timer WITH a depth gauge AND tables, not just a standalone timer. Yeah, I carry a Uwatec BT, but I guess it's a semantic thing.

Some people use the term "bottom timer" to just refer to a waterproof watch or other timekeeper. But I see what you are referring to.

I guess you just assume square profile for whatever your max depth was?

More or less but the beauty of it is most of the diving here in the lower great lakes is pretty much square profile anyway...descend to the wreck...tootle around the wreck...ascend.

I dive petrel primary and Lynx backup, for tec, the Lynx becomes a very expensive bottom timer on gauge mode (super easy to read, I love it). For rec, even carrying the bt with you can help save your next dive as you will have info to dive square for the next dive if you don't cut tables and carry with you, which for rec, I don't find worth it.

on the ai, I would highly recommend 2 dive computers over ai, as brass and glass works great, easy to stow out of the way on a marine bolt snap and clipped to a waist d ring, as you don't have to check it often as once you get used to diving, you pretty much know what your psi will look like based on depth+time and unless you are diving nitrox, I find my dives limited by ndl rather then psi, so unless I have a problem or am doing some heavy current swims, my air will last longer then my ndl, but you should always be checking to make sure.

the dg03 is a great cheap option where you can add ai later if you desire or when you have the funds for it while still doing everything you need and if you grow to tech, it has gauge mode which is essential, so it's a great first computer for a new diver.

i wouldn't really look at ai unless you own your own regs anyway, save the 300 ish and buy your own reg instead when you can.

I am in the market for a new dive computer. I would like to go with the "watch" format but am deciding if it is worth the extra cost to get the hoseless pressure integration vs just a stand alone computer watch and use my existing hose for pressure. I know you want to have pressure redundancy but is the extra money for the information that the transmission gives you worth it?

Hi CamGuthrieILM,

I have read this entire thread...and I know you probably bought a computer by now. Here goes anyway...

I dive with an AI PDC (it is HP hose connected). I always dive with my wrist mounted PDC (non AI) and my AI hose connected computer.

I have suffered two HP hose failures. Nothing drastic, just a heavy trail of bubbles. I had redundant breathing gear, so I was OK (however, I did not switch to my pony bottle because I had lots of gas remaining in my primary system). My primary regulator worked just fine with the high pressure hose leaking. I surfaced and went back to the boat--no problems.

After getting back on the boat, we switched out my HP hose and I jumped in the water with both computers that contained my NDL and O2 loading data. No problem! :D

The other HP hose failure situation required me to abandon the use of my AI computer and I had to install an SPG. My back-up computer had my NDL and O2 data, so I was fine--no problem! :)

My point is: An SPG can have an HP hose fail also. They use the same hoses. SPGs are not infallible.

I do recommend having two computers. Whether you choose AI or SPG does not matter as far as the big picture goes. You will be diving either way.

I personally like AI. You get more information on your AI PDC. Matter of fact, I JUST bought another one!

IF you are GUI, techie, or some other highbred type diver, than an AI is probably not a good choice for you.

For us recreational divers, to AI, or to not AI does not matter much. What do you like--that's what floats your boat!

markm

One of the perks of working in Dubai is that money is 'usually' a limiting factor between 2 different buying options and not one buying option and no buying option. Yet, most of us that work here end up not having much of a life to enjoy those perks... Hahaha (even though it was in response to Stuart)

You'll do well in getting friendly with AL Boom in Al Quoz. The head of the workshop give good advice, has forgotten more about diving than most of us know and is also the go too guy for not only the other LDS and training establishments but he trains the Civil Defence & Police divers - has set up their operations and has the unfortunate position of being the person the authorities get to inspect gear after fatal accidents.

He always offers good advice, will not pressure sell you - indeed has been known to not sell you gear if you don't need it. While its great to shop around you its worthwhile making sure it's something they can service and get the parts easily for. Feel free to PM me for more details

I've spoken to him on the phone! He's a great guy, I completely agree!! And also gave me lots of fantastic advice :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom