Hoseless vs non-integrated Watch computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing is that, at least I, personally, would never consider the DG03 to be a "watch computer". More of a wrist puck. :)
Some of us consider that the best thing this side of a colour oled/tft.

Everything about air integration and/or hoseless computers is opinion. And you know what they say about opinions........

As for AI, I've never seen the need for it. But there is one advantage. The pressure reading is digital. Most SPGs are not. Once or twice a year I calculate my SAC rates resting, swimming and emergency. The only way to do that is with an accurate change in tank pressure. Digital provides that precision (we won't go into precision vs accuracy here) while analog gauges do not. And since I don't own a digital SPG or AI computer, I borrow my buddy's every once in a while. Problem solved.

Well, that's the thing about dg03: if you're in the US of A, the computer itself is cheaper than the zoop. In fact it's only $50 more than recent "cheapie" aeris closeouts: manta, a300. The transmitter is not cheap, but you don't have to buy it right away. Or at all.
DG03(US$249.00 at DGX) without the transmitter(UA$249.00) is NOT a AI. The combined cost is US$498.00.
While at Leisure Pro you can buy one Oceanic Veo 1(US$169.95) or Veo 180(US$199.95). So TWO Veo 1 + spg will only set you back around US$400.00. I am yet to find out any disadvantages of having two computers.

So, from a completely newbie perspective, the first thing I bought was a used Oceanic VT4 dive computer without the transmitter. The reason for which was that as I'm still bad with trim and buoyancy and getting the hang of things I thought it would be easier to know how far down I am and how much air I kind of have (no transmitter yet) by doing a natural thing I do everyday, looking at my wrist. (It helps that I wear a watch in real life and sell them haha)

Although I would never let go of an SPG since all my research has shown that the chances of an SPG to fail are minuscule in comparison to a computer (mostly batt or transmitter issues or the occasional need for a software upgrade yet I haven't heard of anyone dying due to it either...)

My newbie 2 cents...

So, from a completely newbie perspective, the first thing I bought was a used Oceanic VT4 dive computer without the transmitter. The reason for which was that as I'm still bad with trim and buoyancy and getting the hang of things I thought it would be easier to know how far down I am and how much air I kind of have (no transmitter yet) by doing a natural thing I do everyday, looking at my wrist. (It helps that I wear a watch in real life and sell them haha)

Although I would never let go of an SPG since all my research has shown that the chances of an SPG to fail are minuscule in comparison to a computer (mostly batt or transmitter issues or the occasional need for a software upgrade yet I haven't heard of anyone dying due to it either...)

My newbie 2 cents...

The cost of a transmitter is more than a cheapy computer!!!

The cost of a transmitter is more than a cheapy computer!!!

Lol yeah I know!

I'm looking (and sometimes fining them in other countries) for a used VT4.1 transmitter. And I looked around, I chose this one for reasons listed above (user replaceable batts, reliability etc...)

Lol yeah I know!

I'm looking (and sometimes fining them in other countries) for a used VT4.1 transmitter. And I looked around, I chose this one for reasons listed above (user replaceable batts, reliability etc...)
You should look for another computer instead of a transmitter.
If you have experienced computer failure underwater, you will know which is more practical.

You should look for another computer instead of a transmitter.
If you have experienced computer failure underwater, you will know which is more practical.

Centrals, I am not sure what you mean. I am already using an SPG as well as the computer, so why would I need yet another computer?

Centrals, I am not sure what you mean. I am already using an SPG as well as the computer, so why would I need yet another computer?
Redundancy!!!!
What would you do if your computer fail while diving?
Happened to me TWICE before on two separated occasions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom