Hose Configuration???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1054EDP

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie, so go easy!!
Hopefully the sky won't open up and i'm not struck by lightning by the DIR god, but i'm fairly new to diving and i've already purchased a set of doubles. I do respect and appreciate the thoery behind the DIR method of gear config, but i don't want to prescribe to that very strict way of diving. i want to enjoy diving in a matter that is comfortable for me. Just because i'm not DIR, doesn't mean i'm doing it wrong .

My question is, how to configure, and route my hoses. What should the length be , and do i really need a 7foot hose? i want to make sure that i'm not tie up like a thanksgiving turkey, by the time i hit the water.What i do know, and what i already have is, 2 1st stages,2 2nd stages, 2 spg, 1 bc inflator, 1 drysuit inflator hose, light canister under right side arm (where do i clip off the light head off to? so now that i've got the nest of hoses, i need to route them in a way, that will be most efficient.

any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated?

Against my better judgement... What 1st stages are you using and I'm assuming your doubles are manifolded?

You don't need a 7-foot hose, but they're very nice and a much better solution.

Tie a small bolt snap on your goodman handle and clip the lighthead to your right chest D-ring.

Ben

My suggestion, without trying to sound condescending, would be to find an instructor who will do sort of a workshop with you to try to get you squared away. I don't think it's a good idea for a fairly new diver to try to "figure out" doubles from the internet.

Get with someone who is experienced.

:wink: Hold on guys
Before i get beat up really bad, let me clarify something. I didn't just finish my OW. i Have a few dives under the old wieght belt. Spent time in thailand, did the cozumel thing, and have been in local waters. I have been to Dutch Springsmore than a fare share of times, but would never gauge my experience on the quarry. i only go there to get wet,and to try new gear.
To answer an earlier question, i run 2 APEKS ATX 50 regs

Turn your 1st stages on their sides so that your hoses run straight down.

Trust me, neither Jon or I have been hard on you, you've gotten off WAY too easy, as far as I'm concerned if you don't know how to route the hoses on your doubles setup then you have no business diving it. Find a mentor who's been there and done that to help you.

Ben

There's a few different ways to do it, I think; but what I would do is:

regs: primary on your right post, backup on your left post.
spg: because your primary is on the right post, you need to make sure you know that your left post is on and your isolator is open. So to 'know' that, put your pressure guage on your left post. That way if you check it, and it's not going down, then either your isolator is closed or your left post is off.
inflation: break 'em up so if you ever have to shut down a post, you have a source of inflation. I run my drysuit off my left post, down and under my arm. My inflator off my right post.

I can't answer about primary hose length, because I dive a 7'.

Thanks Spectre
Thant's how i have them set up.I was just hoping someone had a different idea on where to route them. I always make sure that each bottle is totally idependent of eachother, meaning they both have the exact same gear. I know my first question seemed very vauge, and almost naive, but i knew some one would have a decent and sincere answer. My light head , i clip of to the D ring on my right hip, and carry my reel on my scooter ring. i clip my back up light to my front right chest D ring. i run my drysuit inflator hose under my right arm and the bc inflator as normal, over the left. I run both spg's color coated over the left shoulder along with the bc inflator hose. each color, each tank. i breath off the left tank and hand off the right. it's not a seven foot hose, but it's long enough to keep that person close so i can grab them and keep them from swimming off and dragging me with

this is the way i dive my doubles, and it works for me. i thought someone might have a different way of doing. different people.different style. i knew i would get some wise remarks. Everyone wants to be a teacher or a Dad. I don't need either, just some friendly conversation. sorry if i set myself up for it.

Thanks again everyone

Snowbear
No defensiveness. believe me. Big smile on my face. I don't take this very seriously. This is just discussion. I wasn't making fun of, or taking a jab at any of the DIR crowd on this forum. i just think that certain styles, have there place. I was being inquisitive. Like i said, i do respect that style, but it's not for me. I'm always willing to learn more, so i was merely asking how to run a hose.

1054EDP:
Snowbear
No defensiveness. believe me. Big smile on my face. I don't take this very seriously. This is just discussion. I wasn't making fun of, or taking a jab at any of the DIR crowd on this forum. i just think that certain styles, have there place. I was being inquisitive. Like i said, i do respect that style, but it's not for me. I'm always willing to learn more, so i was merely asking how to run a hose.

Routing your hoses in a common sense and generally accepted way has nothing to do with DIR/Non DIR.

Don't confuse the moethod with the message. Some people are not gifted men of the people but the points are still valid none the less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom