Hose Configuration???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1054EDP:
My light head , i clip of to the D ring on my right hip, and carry my reel on my scooter ring. i clip my back up light to my front right chest D ring.

I don't have a ring on my right hip. my can light is up against my plate on my harness belt there, and it'd be a pain to try and find that ring behind the light, and to put it in front of the light would be a pain to get the light on and off when tearing down my gear. I keep my reel either stowed on my butt d-ring if I don't plan on using it, or on my left hip ring if I will be using it. I prefer the butt ring to the front ring, as the front ring causes it to hang down a little low. I've seen enough problems with reel line getting caught on wreckage and begin unspooling that I don't really like the thought of takeing the chance of it catching on something while I'm ducking to get under something or inside somewhere.

I clip my lighthead to my right chest D ring when it's not in my hand. It's out of the way [which is the desire when it's not in my hand], and when I use the clip that I have mounted behind the ballast, it hangs straight down and lights up what's below me.

1054EDP:
My light head , i clip of to the D ring on my right hip, and carry my reel on my scooter ring. i clip my back up light to my front right chest D ring. i run my drysuit inflator hose under my right arm and the bc inflator as normal, over the left. I run both spg's color coated over the left shoulder along with the bc inflator hose. each color, each tank. i breath off the left tank and hand off the right. it's not a seven foot hose, but it's long enough to keep that person close so i can grab them and keep them from swimming off and dragging me with

Anything I have clipped off to my hip D-ring get's banged around a decent amount that's why I clip my lighthead off on my shoulder, plus it's more convenient. Why do you have two SPGs? if your doubles are manifolded you only need one. Also, clipping your reels off on your hip or butt D-ring is a better choice, hanging down from the scooter ring makes them very vulnerable.

Your posts/questions lead me to believe you are a novice when it comes to doubles and you can't get all your questions answered online, finding an instructor or mentor to help you is not a weakness, we all started somewhere and we're all still learning.

Ben

Are you diving independent doubles?
Is one of your tanks just a pony writ large?
You stared by saying you are a newbie - to this board or to diving?

1054EDP:
No defensiveness. believe me.
Your opning words sounded defensive to me:
1054EDP:
Hopefully the sky won't open up and i'm not struck by lightning by the DIR god...
Just because i'm not DIR, doesn't mean i'm doing it wrong .
For what it's worth - my hoses and D-rings are set up as Spectre described.
You state you are a newbie. Since you've been on the board awhile, I'd guess new to doubles. As others stated, you really should seek out a qualified mentor or instructor to show you how to set up your hoses and why they do it that way. You can glean a lot of information here, much of it even makes sense, but as a LEO, you know there is no substitute for hands-on learning.

I would agree. If down the line someone asks you why you route your hoses the way you do, do you really want to tell them "well thats what some guy on the net told me". Agreeing again, I would say that if there is not a specific reason for your hose routing, is there a reason that you are diving doubles? There probably is but I hope its not cuz some guy on the net told you to.

Being careful with advice from the web is implied.

Anyone not willing to take anything they hear on the web with a grain of salt and do a little more research should line up here for bridge sales immediately. :D

rescuediver009:
If down the line someone asks you why you route your hoses the way you do, do you really want to tell them "well thats what some guy on the net told me".

As opposed to how he currently routes them? I don't think he's going to just blindly change his current routing unless he actually gets convinced of the reasons behind it.

I want to start by saying i truly appreciate the varied answers, and mixed opinions on how, why, and where to place hoses, and other items, such as lights and reels. Yes, i have done some research and have asked several people in the industry the what's and why's. I do take the responses with a grain of salt. I'm not one to always follow the leader. I spent many years in the military, and i learned just because i was in charge, didn't always mean i had the best answer or solution.i always conferred with my subordinates for advice and opinions. So i've done the same here. it's obvious that on this forum there's a wealth of information. i'm simply trying to tap into that.

To answer some questions, i dive manifolded doubles, not independent. I place my lighthead on my right hip, because it's a comfortable placement for me. i'm in law enforcment, and that's a comfortable reach for me. On my right chest "D" ring, is my back up light, and my remote valve shut off. Which leads me to my next answer. I'm a bit stocky, so reaching behind the neck is very awkward, and i have limited reach, so i have the remote valve shut off extension clipped off to my right "D" ring aslo, in the event i have a catastrophic air loss in either tank, i simply isolate the tanks. I use two spg's, so i always know what's in either tank.I don't use the 7ft or 9ft hose, because personally, i think it's to much. Hear me out on this one. On a dive boat, diving alone, YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOUR BUDDY IS GOING TO BE! For all i know, i get the IDIOT of the bunch :11: . Let's say i have a 7-9 ft hose to hand off, and i have crap for vis. Here comes "My Buddy" and he's freaked out because he's ooa, or something(there's always something) This guy gets my reg, and decides to take off in a panic. Now what? to much hose, to much space in between, and no vis.Okay i'm screwd!! i keep my hose shorter, so i keep My Buddy close. i can grab on to him so he goes no where, and we can do a "slow" ascent, "together".
My reel is on the scooter ring, basically because, if i have to do anything while i'm on the reel i simply clip it off to the scooter ring, make an adjustment, or whatever i'm doing and i can still keep my eye on it, because it's right in front of me,and not in the way. it's not on a chest or butt "d" ring where i can't get to it, or it's in the way. i try to keep the area right in front of me clutter free as possible.

This is the way i set up. Many people set up differently and i respect, and understand why. This method works for me, but it doesn't mean that i'm not curious as to the ways others do it.

Like i said, i do appreciate all the comments, and i'm always willing to take some advice, and criticism, as long as it's constructive. :wink:
Thanks once again. Safe Diving

1054EDP:
Let's say i have a 7-9 ft hose to hand off, and i have crap for vis. Here comes "My Buddy" and he's freaked out because he's ooa, or something(there's always something) This guy gets my reg, and decides to take off in a panic. Now what?

FWIW. The first time I ever saw a long hose in action was in my AOW class. The whole class pretty much had sucky bouyancy. During our safety stop, I was at 15 feet. I looked, I was at 20. I felt the line yank, I was at 10. I kicked off the line and went and hung next to my instructor and watched...

My instructor and I hung at 15, while the DM and the rest of class would drag the line down to 20, then the boat would pitch on a wave and go flying up to 10. Back and forth they went.

I noticed something a tad bit strange through all of this, and I quickly figured it out. The DM had run out of gas and was breathing off the instructors tanks. He had a 7' hose. While all this tossing around was going on, my instructor just hung there, watching and shaking his head....

I was sold.

I don't really know where to start here...

If I have a catastrophic air loss I don't give half a turd how much gas is left after closing the isolator, the dive is over. I should have enough to make an ascent and my buddy is close if I don't.

Being drug up by your long hose is no more likely then being drug up by your shorter hose, it just doesn't happen. A little more space and ability to move around is better.

Clipping your reel to your scooter ring to attend to something is ok, I guess, but it's not a good place to stow your reel, it's too likely to get caught up in something.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom