Hogarthian Diving; DIR Diving, whats the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, there is a wrong way to do it right?

or would that just be doing it wrong the right way?

or doing it right wrong?

or doing it almost right?

or just doing it?

Or, banish the thought, you may not even be doing it at all, though you thought you were!

:biggun::m16::laser:
Was thinking the same thing. I'm sure the shop also has very high training standards that must be met. Just shoot me now! :confused:

:m16::biggun::lurk2:
Sorry Mayor, I could not resist.

Lowviz:
There is also a Primer class in PA in May. 14th and 15th. Bob will be teaching. There are a few of us here that will be attending that class. Don't knock something until you give it a try. You never know.

I don't understand why people get "butthurt" about the D.I.R. usage. GUE should have kept it and not given a crap about what any whiners thought about it.

Fact is, if you take DIR training, your going to be a hell of a lot better of a diver than you were before you started.

If the D.I.R. title hurts your little feelings then maybe it's a reflection of your own self-assessment. I think most squared away divers aren't really bothered by the D.I.R. term at all.

D.I.R. has been a positive influence on diving overall, in my opinion. Many non- GUE/DIR divers have been influenced by their approach to training to a higher standard and surrounding themselves with high-standard dive buddies.
If you don't think you have been influenced by the DIR approach, your technical diving instructor very likely was.

GUE should have stuck with DIR. It could also be called doing it properly, or doing it better, or doing it in a non-f'ed up fashion, or squared away diving.
It could be called diving with your head not up your a$$.

Just look at some of the videos posted here, such as the recent Cozumel vacation diver using his DM's octo as a diver tow rope!

The fact is, DIR produces better divers than most other agencies. Sorry this hurts your little feelings and makes you feel bad. *sniff*

I'm not GUE trained, but the divers I've met and dove with were squared the hell away...they had their $hit together and had fun diving. They set a great example, and were clearly the product of a better way of training.

There are plenty of really good divers out there that are not GUE trained, they're probably not too concerned with the "right" part of DIR. I really wonder why anyone would be bothered by it at all.......confidence issues? a complex of some sort? overly sensitive? or just lacking in skills?:shocked2:

Are GUE/DIR divers better than those produced by other agencies?

Probably so. That might be hard to quantify.

They ARE consistently better than the average standard out there, that's for sure.:wink:

I'm not GUE/DIR, and I'm not bothered at all by the acronyms they use.
Why are you????

Maybe GUE could start advertizing "We create the best dive buddies"

Would that hurt anyones feelings?

-Mitch

Maybe GUE could start advertizing "We create the best dive buddies"

Would that hurt anyones feelings?

Maybe I have biased views...but I would bet all the money in my wallet against all the money in your wallet that "We create the best dive buddies" would indeed incite at least some of the same "DIR means everyone else is DIW" crowd to arms. :D

Yes Sir,

I'm sure it would. ;-)

-Mitch

I don't understand why people get "butthurt" about the D.I.R. usage. GUE should have kept it and not given a crap about what any whiners thought about it.

Easy Mitch, there are tons of "Xxxxx It Rights" in the world. The problem (as I see it) is the amount of effort needed to get to the first rung. I'm sure that it is a branding thing and frankly, I couldn't care less. I'm just a bit put off that I can't taste the Kool-Aide before I buy a case of it. So I pass on the case. (Update: recent solution to this problem seems to be in place)

DIR didn't invent attitude. Endless examples. I have to smile everytime a "Camp Jeep" Jeep drives by with a "You wouldn't understand" sticker on it. OK, I don't. But it is easy to go to a dealer and test-drive one. I guess I kind of like attitude if it can be tested. Market pressure. In the end, GUE will likely have it both ways, DIR and something (lesser,of course :eyebrow:) else.

.................Fact is, if you take DIR training, your going to be a hell of a lot better of a diver than you were before you started...................

Not taking your word for it either, but I'll let you know...

Easy Mitch, there are tons of "Xxxxx It Rights" in the world. The problem (as I see it) is the amount of effort needed to get to the first rung. I'm sure that it is a branding thing and frankly, I couldn't care less. I'm just a bit put off that I can't taste the Kool-Aide before I buy a case of it. So I pass on the case. (Update: recent solution to this problem seems to be in place)

DIR didn't invent attitude. Endless examples. I have to smile everytime a "Camp Jeep" Jeep drives by with a "You wouldn't understand" sticker on it. OK, I don't. But it is easy to go to a dealer and test-drive one. I guess I kind of like attitude if it can be tested. Market pressure. In the end, GUE will likely have it both ways, DIR and something (lesser,of course :eyebrow:) else.

Not taking your word for it either, but I'll let you know...

Again....right way wrong way, cool aid etc... come and dive with a few of us. Then get on the board and go to town.

:biggun::m16::laser:

:m16::biggun::lurk2:
Sorry Mayor, I could not resist.

Lowviz:
There is also a Primer class in PA in May. 14th and 15th. Bob will be teaching. There are a few of us here that will be attending that class. Don't knock something until you give it a try. You never know.

Never did primer but was in the water with a few students before and after the class. What a major change in control. Good luck in class! :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom