Hogarthian Diving; DIR Diving, whats the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing the way I think is right, who has the right to tell me otherwise?

On the internet, pretty much everyone can tell you that your are wrong, they are right and your going to die as a result:D

Honestly, I am not DIR / not a pretender but I can tell you most of the DIR types are OK in person and they do seem to put more effort into diving safely than the general population. So I at least listen to what they preach, even if I don't do as they preach.

I'm not a fan of the term DIR. "Doing It Right" is very arrogant. Who says that the rec divers are Doing It Wrong? If they were doing it wrong they'd all be dead. They are diving how they want to dive and I dive the way that I want to dive. It's the team diving thing that I believe in.

I'm doing the way I think is right, who has the right to tell me otherwise?

I agree with you, it's inexcusable for an organization to tout itself as such, and shame on those who are attempting to lecture you otherwise. I say we need to be proactive about this, and let these fat cat companies know that we as consumers have a voice, and will not tolerate their elitist tendencies. I'm sending this off to GUE headquarters today:

"Dear GUE,

I'm not a fan of the term DIR. "Doing It Right" is very arrogant. Who says that the rec divers are Doing It Wrong? If they were doing it wrong they'd all be dead. They are diving how they want to dive and I dive the way that I want to dive. It's the team diving thing that I believe in.

Sincerely,
(your name here)"

--

I'm also sending the following to Kentucky Fried Chicken:
fun_CaymanIslands_KersiPeck.jpg

"Dear Yum Brands,

I'm not a fan of the term "We Do Chicken Right." "We Do Chicken Right" is very arrogant. Who says that the other dinners are Doing Chicken Wrong? If they were doing it wrong they'd all be dead. They are doing chicken how they want to do chicken and I do chicken the way that I want to do chicken. It's the team chicken doing thing that I believe in. Yes, I know what I said.

Sincerely,
(your name here)"

--

And to Dinners Done Right:

hat%20and%20name.jpg

"Dear Dinners Done Right,

I'm not a fan of the term "Dinners Done Right." "Dinners Done Right" is very arrogant. Who says that the other dinners are done wrong? If they were doing it wrong they'd all be dead. They are doing dinner how they want to do dinner and I do dinner the way that I want to do dinner. It's the team dinner doing thing that I believe in.

Sincerely,
(your name here)"

--

And to the absolute worst offender, the Association of the Wall and Ceiling Industry:
AWCI | Stucco—Doing It Right® | Association of the Wall and Ceiling Industry 703-534-8300

"Dear AWCI,

I'm not a fan of the term "Stucco - Doing it Right." "Stucco - Doing it Right" is very arrogant. Who says that the other stucco contractors are doing stucco wrong? If they were doing it wrong they'd all be dead. They are doing stucco how they want stucco to be done and I do stucco the way that I want stucco to be stucced. It's the team stucco doing thing that I believe in.

Sincerely,
(your name here)"

--

I think we can really get the ball rolling on this. I'm glad you're on board. :D

Kenn, your point is made :rofl3:, except it is in a different scenario.

I have lost track of how many times I have heard DIR associated with the terms "elitist" and "attitude". I myself have been slammed by the DIR crowd, and it does not leave a good impression. Therefore I do not want to be DIR. Well that and I like my Seacure (Jaw issues), and my fixed hip d-ring (Aids in clipping my scooter off), so I am not full DIR.

Then again I ignore my buddies when they flash me with their can lights, and when they signal turn pressure, I keep moving forward right? Whatever, I just want to go out and dive with my buddies and have a good time as a team trained at a higher level than OW :)

Hey Peter,

I hear ya, jerks are jerks, and you know what they say about a few bad apples.

The whole "when I see the name, it tells me I'm doing it wrong" thing though, just gets me every time. IMO, DIR's got SO MUCH substantive baggage to legitimately harp on that this tendency to fixate on the name just needs to be poked at every now and then :)

I hear ya, jerks are jerks, and you know what they say about a few bad apples.
You are right! There are those people in every sport and hobby.
The whole "when I see the name, it tells me I'm doing it wrong" thing though, just gets me every time.
Yeah, the "doing it wrong" thing is something I ignore or laugh at. I could careless about that little gripe.
IMO, DIR's got SO MUCH substantive baggage to legitimately harp on
That is the part that I don't want to be associated with. Much of it comes from outspoken people in the past, and the rest is due to ignorance about "team diving" and the skill set and buddy awareness required to enjoy diving safely. I wouldn't dive if it wasn't fun :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom