Hogarthian Diving; DIR Diving, whats the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please advice.

Hogarthian is a word used to refer to a certain rather minimalist gear configuration (although the setup usually referred to nowadays is, I understand it, rather different from what Bill Main dives or dove). "DIR" is a diving system centered around the use of a Hogarthian gear setup, but also includes standardization of choices of gases, decompression strategies, and signals, as well as an emphasis on fitness and strong personal diving skills.

"DIR" is a diving system centered around the use of a Hogarthian gear setup, but also includes standardization of choices of gases, decompression strategies, and signals, as well as an emphasis on fitness and strong personal diving skills.

Also an emphasis on team diving. :)

Hogarthian is a word used to refer to a certain rather minimalist gear configuration (although the setup usually referred to nowadays is, I understand it, rather different from what Bill Main dives or dove)

Note minimalist hairstyle!

Attachments

• Bill Main.jpg
    Bill Main.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,414
I try to stay as far away as possible from anything that has the term DIR in it, so I dive Hogarthian.

Someone needs to come up with a new term that doesn't carry the stigma that DIR does.

I'm not a fan of the term DIR. "Doing It Right" is very arrogant. Who says that the rec divers are Doing It Wrong? If they were doing it wrong they'd all be dead. They are diving how they want to dive and I dive the way that I want to dive. It's the team diving thing that I believe in.

I'm doing the way I think is right, who has the right to tell me otherwise?

Holy crap. Get over it.

Do you think "Dive Rite" and "Rite Aid" are also equally problematic?

I'm not a fan of the term DIR. "Doing It Right" is very arrogant. Who says that the rec divers are Doing It Wrong? If they were doing it wrong they'd all be dead. They are diving how they want to dive and I dive the way that I want to dive. It's the team diving thing that I believe in.

I'm doing the way I think is right, who has the right to tell me otherwise?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom