Hogarthian Diving; DIR Diving, whats the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup! I'm a DIR nazi. That's why I dive with people who don't have GUE/UTD training and why I work at a shop that doesn't like GUE. You hit the nail right on the head.

Out of curiosity what agency does your shop use and why?

Have you read up on dir philosophies ? Have you considered how they decided to set the standards they have? Ever wondered if someone died and those standards are written in blood?

Out of curiosity what agency does your shop use and why?

Have you read up on dir philosophies ? Have you considered how they decided to set the standards they have? Ever wondered if someone died and those standards are written in blood?

Why even waste your time? Some people just don't get it. Walk away and hope you never have to be in the water with them. :D

Yup! I'm a DIR nazi. That's why I dive with people who don't have GUE/UTD training and why I work at a shop that doesn't like GUE. You hit the nail right on the head.

Divemaster Candidate + Logged Dives: 50 - 99 =

Superman-logo-DBF50036CC-seeklogo.com.gif

Obviously well versed to comment on the finer points of hogarthian, DIR and GUE diving....

Divemaster Candidate + Logged Dives: 50 - 99 =

Superman-logo-DBF50036CC-seeklogo.com.gif

Obviously well versed to comment on the finer points of hogarthian, DIR and GUE diving....

Was thinking the same thing. I'm sure the shop also has very high training standards that must be met. Just shoot me now! :confused:

I know that I'm going to regret stirring this thread, but I remain intrigued by DIR/GUE core skills. (I have issues about how they are taught, but let's just forget that for the moment.)

The excerpt below is from GUE's own website:

GUE DIVING

To a careful reader, a casual review of diving history will reveal a movement toward greater standardization. DIR's place in history is assured given its role in introducing a new paradigm to the diving public, one where standardization provides divers with the key to efficiency, safety, enjoyment and success. ............. The DIR system is at the core of GUE training. ............it entails a standardized measure of competence (training) and commitment to both civility and non-smoking, aspects to which DIR in-itself does not speak. ............................a distinctly GUE road that looks fondly upon DIR as the foundation that can empower the organization toward a new and unique future.

(Let's also put aside the seemingly harsh words concerning civility and smoking.)

OK, for quite a while now, I've presumed that DIR and GUE were very much alike. Possibly incorrect.

Question:
I get the Hogarthian part, but can someone in the know and without an axe to grind please summarize this: How does technical GUE training differ from DIR? (I don't mean "on day X we learn Y".)

After a pass from either, how would you expect the diver's skills to differ?

Honestly, I think that just some spin as GUE tries to move away from the DIR term.

In reality, GUE teaches DIR. There are other ways to learn DIR, but it involves being mentored by competent GUE divers and probably involves working on a project. GUE training is certainly the quickest and easiest way to learn DIR, and you're almost guaranteed to learn it the right way.

I know that I'm going to regret stirring this thread, but I remain intrigued by DIR/GUE core skills. (I have issues about how they are taught, but let's just forget that for the moment.)

The excerpt below is from GUE's own website:

GUE DIVING

To a careful reader, a casual review of diving history will reveal a movement toward greater standardization. DIR's place in history is assured given its role in introducing a new paradigm to the diving public, one where standardization provides divers with the key to efficiency, safety, enjoyment and success. ............. The DIR system is at the core of GUE training. ............it entails a standardized measure of competence (training) and commitment to both civility and non-smoking, aspects to which DIR in-itself does not speak. ............................a distinctly GUE road that looks fondly upon DIR as the foundation that can empower the organization toward a new and unique future.

(Let's also put aside the seemingly harsh words concerning civility and smoking.)

OK, for quite a while now, I've presumed that DIR and GUE were very much alike. Possibly incorrect.

Question:
I get the Hogarthian part, but can someone in the know and without an axe to
grind
please summarize this: How does technical GUE training differ from DIR? (I don't mean "on day X we learn Y".)

After a pass from either, how would you expect the diver's skills to differ?

Since you have one of the founding members of GUE (Bob Sherwood) right here in the northeast. How about spending a weekend diving with the local group and learning first hand. I understand he will be setting up a intro weekend to GUE. Fun dives, food, course overviews, questions answered, etc. Maybe some scooter stuff who knows. Drop him an email and see what's up. :D

............ GUE training is certainly the quickest and easiest way to learn DIR, and you're almost guaranteed to learn it the right way.

Thanks, that was my suspicion.

Since you have one of the founding members of GUE (Bob Sherwood) right here in the northeast. How about spending a weekend diving with the local group and learning first hand. I understand he will be setting up a intro weekend to GUE. Fun dives, food, course overviews, questions answered, etc. Maybe some scooter stuff who knows. Drop him an email and see what's up. :D

Intro weekend to GUE! OK, seriously considering it. I'll bring my stack of questions. :D

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom