HOG Reg Serviceability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In fairness I don't imagine this is a common occurrence. Not great admittedly but we all drop the ball on occasion being human and all. I'm guessing this issue was looked into and all possible done to ensure that it won't happen again.

Chris, my Apeks Regs need servicing can you send me some new HOGs? If not be warned I have 2 Facebook friends and am not scared to go public...:D

We can agree to disagree on that issue.

Well, you can disagree, but it's a fact that the HP seat in all 1st stages is subject to IP, not supply pressure. Higher tank pressures only affect seat wear to the extent that they increase IP. In balanced piston stages, the only dynamic o-ring subject to HP is the piston shaft o-ring, and in diaphragm stages, the only one is the tiny balance chamber o-ring. In flow-by pistons, like the MK2, a neat trick is that no dynamic o-rings are subject to supply pressure.

People confuse this issue occasionally, maybe because the HP seat is located in a HP chamber. But the force that acts on it, pushing either the piston or orifice against the seat, is IP.

We ran out of the service kits, we had more on order. When we brought in the regs we only brought in 100 kits, we thought that for a new reg we didn't need to carry more than that out of the gate. We were wrong, we have many divers ordering kits with their new regs now. That's actually a good thing from my point of view as an instructor(people carry spares) and as a business (people buy spares). As soon as we identified that we were running out we ordered more, they take 6 weeks to get, another 4-5 on the water to ship in. Again, we didn't see the need to air freight them in, thinking people were buying spares kits, not actually servicing new regulators just because. Any actual problems we expected we would address as the regs are ALL under warranty, including parts. That is EVERY D3 out there, there is not one that has been in service over a year.

We are currently out of stock on second stage service kits for all HOG regs, we had higher than expected demand... stuff happens. We are going to air freight them in, we do learn from our mistakes.

In 2005 I bought a new Jeep that was the first year they offered a diesel engine in it. Parts were not available for it anywhere at first because any issues were WARRANTY issues. As time has passed it's easier to get parts for it.

Agree.
How, when and where etc to service the reg is not the point.
Imagine you offer a service course and then say sorry spare parts are NOT available.
or We cannot offer the course because the spare parts are not yet available and please come back in few months time.
or Someone want to buy a HOG and enquire the respective spare parts and then been told it is NOT available for another few months!!!
Good PR.

I've been reading up on the HOG regulators and they look like solid regulators for the price that will suit any kind of diving. My only concern is part availability while traveling (what if I need maintenance done while away from home). In the past I have been told to go with a larger brand for my first regulators simply because of maintenance availability.

- If I get my regulators serviced before a trip is this even worth worrying about?
- If I bring a rebuild kit with me, will any technician be able to work on them?
- If a rebuild kit isn't available, am I out of luck? (are generic parts a thing in diving?)

I know that you can do maintenance on your own HOG gear, but I'm not interested in this at my current experience level.

Dave

For the price of hog regs, buy an extra set and carry a spare to cover the concerns you listed.

It's people like our "one post wonder" Dinobianco that make me fear that one day Chris will get tired of defending himself for providing what is probably the greatest relief in diving history since introduction of the SPG and throw in the towel and we will all be back on the SP parts for life (or equiv) conspiracy program!

Dinobianco, please list your brand new no-questions replacement Hogs "sent by Hog" in the classified section and go to the nearest LDS and buy another brand, then ask them to sell you some service kits so you can have them with you on your "Big Dive" in case a field repair is needed.

I have 2 HOG D3 1st stages and HOG does not have service kits available. After contacting them I was told to wait a few months for fixing my regs. After paying a lot of money they wanted for me to halt my busy diving season and eventually Chris Richardson from HOG was rude and unprofessional. Be careful before purchasing HOG stuff.

So....

Let's recap what happened. ... edited for brevity ....

The next morning you have some lady call and demand to know what we were doing, I told her we had sent you new first stages yesterday. Frankly, between what you had told me, what you had told Jack and what Scubatoys had told me, I was tired of the wide variety of stories and was not exactly receptive to what I perceived as more game playing on your behalf (namely having a employee call me) I told her as much and that if you had a problem with that to call me. She called me back and said "I didn't get a tracking number" I then said "no because I didn't give you one" I then hung up. I did not say good bye.

So, you don't like the poor service I gave you. Fine, throw the ballhat we put in the package in the garbage.

But.... telling people that we halted your dive season is complete and utter crap.

We should have had service kits in stock, no question. However, YOU decided to service something that didn't need it, YOU decided that it would be a good idea to service something not having the parts. Yes, I did tell you that servicing gear before a big dive is not a good idea, let me expound on that in case you misunderstood me. IT'S BONE DEAD STUPID. If your instructor, diving buddy or you came up with that idea, you may want to reconsider your diving and educational choices.

Give him hell Chris. Hey Chris you forgot the golden rule once they get their Open Water card they become the expert and now it all in scuba and they become economic genius as well.

Dinobianco, please list your brand new no-questions replacement Hogs "sent by Hog" in the classified section and go to the nearest LDS and buy another brand, then ask them to sell you some service kits so you can have them with you on your "Big Dive" in case a field repair is needed.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything. The complainer was not looking to purchase service kits, he took his regulators to an authorized dealer for a rebuild and was informed there were no parts after they were disassembled. As Chris mentioned, he underestimated the demand for the service kits.

While I do not condone the complainer's methods and think Chris was more than generous in the resolution, I would have been a bit upset too if I wanted a rebuild and there were no parts available.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 12:05 PM ----------

Give him hell Chris. Hey Chris you forgot the golden rule once they get their Open Water card they become the expert and now it all in scuba and they become economic genius as well.

Chris mentioned that he is also out of second stage kits, so if you wanted your Classics, Switchbacks or Durocs rebuilt you would be in trouble too unless your dive shop is willing to substitute generic parts or reuse old o-rings. The leanness of Hog's parts inventory is a valid concern.

The complainer was foolish and I don't understand his complaints being Chris replaced his regulators. However one thing I find distressing about SB is that people jump on posters when they complain about poor service from a manufacturer that has a strong presence on SB.

I fail to see what this has to do with anything. The complainer was not looking to purchase service kits, he took his regulators to an authorized dealer for a rebuild and was informed there were no parts after they were disassembled. As Chris mentioned, he underestimated the demand for the service kits.

While I do not condone the complainer's methods and think Chris was more than generous in the resolution, I would have been a bit upset too if I wanted a rebuild and there were no parts available.

Chris mentioned that he is also out of second stage kits, so if you wanted your Classics, Switchbacks or Durocs rebuilt you would be in trouble too unless your dive shop is willing to substitute generic parts or reuse old o-rings. The leanness of Hog's parts inventory is a valid concern.

The complainer was foolish and I don't understand his complaints being Chris replaced his regulators. However one thing I find distressing about SB is that people jump on posters when they complain about poor service from a manufacturer that has a strong presence on SB.

Totally agree, although in this instance, I wonder if responses would have been different if the complaint had been a little more balanced with all information given e.g new regs sent. By omission the OP was not being completely honest. Perhaps this is what is ruffling feathers.

Points taken.
My comments were in support of Chris and his business model, regardless of what it had to do with anything. A way of bringing to light the fact that there is a difference with Hog and being able to freely aquire parts and self serve, a lot of us really appreciate it and if you don't move on to a brand that you will appreciate more, because we are happy with our Hogs and the model. That is what it had to do with. Your points are valid with regard to supply concerns and so were the complainer's, but also valid with regard to the fact that Chris went out of his way to give good service (what other manufacturer would have boxed up and sent two brand new regs) and that the complainer still made a fairly negative comment about it and didn't bother to also add the part about the brand new regs being sent in lieu of the back ordered parts. What a sucker punch.

I wouldn't distress too much about "people jumping on posters". It's a two way street, always has been.
But judging from your # of posts, you already know that :wink:

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 05:11 PM ----------

By omission the OP was not being completely honest. Perhaps this is what is ruffling feathers.

Yes, you beat me to it while I was posting my comment above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom