HOG Reg Serviceability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are talking about service kit!
When I brought my car for routine service, I had never been told that items like air filter, oil, spark plugs etc were out of stock!

Those are all common parts across multiple models.

Nonetheless, as the manufacturer posted, even in this case the seat is the same as the other kits. O-rings are available anywhere. Anyone who blames a reg manufacturer for a lack of O-rings isn't looking very hard. Had the LDS been competent (ignoring whether service was even needed) a) they would not have torn down the reg without parts in hand, and b) with a quick call to the manufacturer would have found out that they could have used parts from a different kit.

Much ado about nothing.

Those are all common parts across multiple models.

Nonetheless, as the manufacturer posted, even in this case the seat is the same as the other kits. O-rings are available anywhere. Anyone who blames a reg manufacturer for a lack of O-rings isn't looking very hard. Had the LDS been competent (ignoring whether service was even needed) a) they would not have torn down the reg without parts in hand, and b) with a quick call to the manufacturer would have found out that they could have used parts from a different kit.

Much ado about nothing.

Chris never said the diaphragms are the same with the two regulators, just the seat. Also why should a LDS or an end user need to match o-rings?

They shouldn't that is why I include them all in the kit. Seriously I said I should have had them in stock and ran out. It is NOT the common state of affairs.

It's funny actually. My open approach seems to cause me more grief. When I worked in a retail dive shop, vendors were ALWAYS back ordering service kits. It was pretty common. When I was a rep for Mares, we were ALWAYS oos on service kits. Oceanic was better by far at keeping them in stock but when I was a rep there we ran out of service kits as well.

Chris never said the diaphragms are the same with the two regulators, just the seat. Also why should a LDS or an end user need to match o-rings?

It's funny actually. My open approach seems to cause me more grief. When I worked in a retail dive shop, vendors were ALWAYS back ordering service kits. It was pretty common. When I was a rep for Mares, we were ALWAYS oos on service kits. Oceanic was better by far at keeping them in stock but when I was a rep there we ran out of service kits as well.

Exactly!

I see no need for you to keep defending yourself and your company. Anyone with even a semblance of intelligence knows that out-of-stock/back order situations happen with EVERY manufacturer.

And, speaking of intelligence: What experienced tech would take a reg apart before a customer's BIG TRIP (LOL) when he knows that he does not have service parts for it?

So, Dave.E,
Have we answered your question or scared you away? LOL

If the weather does no chill the heck out soon you may get a great deal on some regs, I'll sell all my regs before they rot due to lack of use!
Only diving I'm doing is through this darn keyboard at the moment.... Arrrrggggg.

20 TO 60 NM-
941 PM CDT MON APR 14 2014[SIZE=+1]
GALE WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT TUESDAY
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM CDT TUESDAY THROUGH
TUESDAY AFTERNOON
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
We also live in a world of overnight delivery. The manufacturer's supply chain is their business not the customers. The manufacturer should take lead time into account when deciding when to place orders and how much product to purchase. Going back to your automobile example, what if a dealer told you that the part for your new car won't be in for a couple of weeks and you need to walk? I am sure you would consider this a massive crime especially if it happened to you.

I can guarantee he would not want to pay air freight charges. The auto dealer would loan you a car for that time period.

I can guarantee he would not want to pay air freight charges. The auto dealer would loan you a car for that time period.

I purchased a rather modest Dell computer from a kiosk at an office supply store. The computer was sent from China (via FedEx) and I had it within a week. I am sure it is not prohibitively expensive to ship 100 kits or more airfreight from the far east. The person who would pay the air freight is Hog not the OP. Chris was trying to save money by having the kits shipped in a container with other goods.

An auto dealer supplies loaners but dive ships usually don't.

I am sure the parts were made in China, in this case they were not, they needed to be made

I purchased a rather modest Dell computer from a kiosk at an office supply store. The computer was sent from China (via FedEx) and I had it within a week. I am sure it is not prohibitively expensive to ship 100 kits or more airfreight from the far east. The person who would pay the air freight is Hog not the OP. Chris was trying to save money by having the kits shipped in a container with other goods.

An auto dealer supplies loaners but dive ships usually don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom