HOG D1 Regulator HP Ports Not Drilled Out - Zero Airflow, Zero Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tagged. Professional (QC) curiosity. Any process or procedure can fail. It's how the issues are handled that defines the manufacturer.

Yes, agreed. The process should have been caught at the factory and the machining process adjusted/reviewed. At that point all of the regulators from that run should have been pulled and inspected. Obviously not. This means that there must not be a testing procedure for each regulator before it leaves the factor. The next response should have been from the US when the regulators where received and inspected. It is hard to believe that this can get into the hands of the consumer after the complete failure to QC by both the manufacturer and the retailer.

More important than a public apology and free stuff should be a hard look at making sure that this never happens again. Consumer confidence is shot to hell in a hand basket when things like this happen. If something simple, basic and easy to see visually are happening, what other tolerances are not being checked?

Both HP ports are identical - dead stop into metal. If it's going to take too long for HOG or the distributor to get me a working reg, I may just drill these out myself. With a Bridgeport Mill and 1/8" carbide end mill : ) They probably just forgot that line of code that runs a drill bit into it at the end of the machining process. OR didn't program it to go deeply enough. OR the material was thicker than planned, due to a screw-up elsewhere in the machining. Who cares really, I just like to talk about machining.

View attachment 142970View attachment 142971

Where did you get your regs? If this is a manufacturing problem an entire batch may be affected. I presently have 2 D1's on the way from the US and this raises some concerns since it would be prohibitive to ship them back to the US for RMA.

Yes, agreed. The process should have been caught at the factory and the machining process adjusted/reviewed. At that point all of the regulators from that run should have been pulled and inspected. Obviously not. This means that there must not be a testing procedure for each regulator before it leaves the factor. The next response should have been from the US when the regulators where received and inspected. It is hard to believe that this can get into the hands of the consumer after the complete failure to QC by both the manufacturer and the retailer.

More important than a public apology and free stuff should be a hard look at making sure that this never happens again. Consumer confidence is shot to hell in a hand basket when things like this happen. If something simple, basic and easy to see visually are happening, what other tolerances are not being checked?

Identifying and removing the defective material is step #1. Replacing the defective material is step #2. Determining the failure point(s) is step #3. Most important is step #4: taking action to preclude future recurrences, otherwise you cannot trust the supplier.

Due to my past experience with HOG I'm sure they will take any & every measure to make you a happy customer.

Have you contacted them yet or did you just post this thread? And out of curiosity which vendor did you purchase from?

Due to my past experience with HOG I'm sure they will take any & every measure to make you a happy customer.

Have you contacted them yet or did you just post this thread? And out of curiosity which vendor did you purchase from?

Making him a happy customer and correcting the QC problem are two entirely different things.

Consumer confidence is shot to hell in a hand basket when things like this happen.

I for one am comfortable repeating the 30' deep or 110' deep dives in both warm and cold water that I have done with my HOG regs. My confidence is not shot. Neither is that of the majority (likely all but one or two) of the consumers. You have just crossed the line from reality into your own little world IMO. I can guarantee that Chris will make this right and acknowledge it if he has made a mistake. As would the many HOG sellers that I know. I am sure that something will be done to make sure this sort of thing does not happen again.

And Edge/HOG has zero obligation to provide anything publicly. This is a problem that exists between the buyer and the seller/manufacturer.

But, you can bet your bottom dollar that the HOG haters will begin to pounce :D

On the plus side, tomorrow your "the sky is falling" approach will actually fit since the world will be ending.

Last edited:
Thankfully, it is not a defect that presents a safety problem in normal operations.

If it's going to take too long for HOG or the distributor to get me a working reg, I may just drill these out myself.

Where are you at in NC? I may have a set I could lend you for a couple of days... lee

If it will take us too long? We didn't even know this happened! Did you tell the dealer who sold you the reg? Could you possibly get in contact with us. We will get you a new reg out right away, we'll want the one you got back please. Sounds like a factory issue but should have been caught in QA no question. EPLEASE contact us!Z

Best,

Chris
EDGE
404-579-7631

Both HP ports are identical - dead stop into metal. If it's going to take too long for HOG or the distributor to get me a working reg, I may just drill these out myself. With a Bridgeport Mill and 1/8" carbide end mill : ) They probably just forgot that line of code that runs a drill bit into it at the end of the machining process. OR didn't program it to go deeply enough. OR the material was thicker than planned, due to a screw-up elsewhere in the machining. Who cares really, I just like to talk about machining.

View attachment 142970View attachment 142971

---------- Post added December 20th, 2012 at 10:40 AM ----------

told who???????
I told them I expect them to overnight me a new FULLY TESTED regulator, at the same time that I provide a shipping tracking number to return the one I have now. I stressed how I'm new to diving and having something like this shipped to me without testing does not instill confidence. In anything really, especially my HOG equipment. This sucks, but I'm sure it could be worse.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2012 at 10:43 AM ----------

if you have any issues which I expect you will NOT we would of course make it right

Where did you get your regs? If this is a manufacturing problem an entire batch may be affected. I presently have 2 D1's on the way from the US and this raises some concerns since it would be prohibitive to ship them back to the US for RMA.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2012 at 10:45 AM ----------

of course, that is why after I saw this thread and heard about it for the FIRST time I am on Skype with the factory and have directed them to this thread as well. If this is as reported it obviously is NOT acceptable and even if a one off factory mistake we need to ensure it never happens again.

I really do wish the OP or his dealer or somebody has contacted us. I am confused who he told to overnight him a new reg.

Making him a happy customer and correcting the QC problem are two entirely different things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom