HOG D3 or D1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Been looking at loads of posts from the past on HOG, about to pull the trigger on one set of HOGs for my backmounted doubles.

However, I have a few questions that I did not really get the answer to yet. Hence, I'm hoping that you guys can help me out.

1. From the schematics, I have noted that the D3 design of the balance plug/turret retaining bolt is quite different from other diaphgram regs (Apeks DST/DS4, SPMk17, Aqualung Legends, HOG D1, Tecline R2 etc).
Therefore, i wonder if there are any real advantages or disadvantages to this design?
I have heard that the 5th port airflow is higher due to the "flow through" kind of layout, but how higher the airflow is compared the traditional DST design? Also, what are the implications during servicing, usage etc.

2. Are HOGs still recommended as a reg? The reason for asking this is because there seems to be less and less reviews and discussions about HOG regs. Wondering if the reviews are still as good as some years ago, or has there been surfacing issues since then?
Has there been lot of changes in quality since the change of management a while back?

Hope that you guys have weigh in on the above questions, and also provide any experience with the HOGs, especially the D3s, since there are less reviews and discussions about those

Thanks in advance!

Personally, owning 7-8 D1 ...

I'd go with the D3 for a dedicated back mount reg for a few reasons
- It is still in production (the D1 is discontinued)
- Slightly better material and machining

Or look at Deep6 and the newer version of the "D3" ... (same guy that was HOG and D1-D3 designs)

Stages/bailouts/deco bottles, I'll stick with the D1's as they are a smaller footprint. I'm not worried about water intrusion, as every 5 min, you do a flow check (recharge the regs)

_R

The D1 is discontinued so if buying new you will probably be looking at the D2 or D3. I would think the D2 would be what you would want for doubles but some people like the added swivel of the D3.
I dive a D3 with single tanks and love it. I have never had a problem with it and I know several other divers who use them and I have never heard a complaint. I don't know about any increased airflow from the 5th port or what type of machine it would take to measure this but I used the 5th port for a while and switched because I didn't like the hose routing and didn't notice any difference. Though the 5th port airflow may be "theoretically" higher (I haven't heard this before) I doubt it is anything you can feel.

The only complaint I have with the D3 is that it seems a bit long to me and I sometimes wish I kept my D1. The shortness of the D1 means the DIN wheel does not allow the swivel to turn very far when hoses are connected. The D3 fixes this problem by putting the swivel further away on a longer regulator.

I think your actual question may be if you will regret saving money by going with HOG regs. If that is really what you are asking then I think you will be happy with them.

I think some of the HOG excitement has died off because the pricing used to be much lower a few years ago when they were actually underpriced for the quality. They are still a great value but just no longer a market disrupting value.

The D1 is discontinued so if buying new you will probably be looking at the D2 or D3. I would think the D2 would be what you would want for doubles but some people like the added swivel of the D3.
I dive a D3 with single tanks and love it. I have never had a problem with it and I know several other divers who use them and I have never heard a complaint. I don't know about any increased airflow from the 5th port or what type of machine it would take to measure this but I used the 5th port for a while and switched because I didn't like the hose routing and didn't notice any difference. Though the 5th port airflow may be "theoretically" higher (I haven't heard this before) I doubt it is anything you can feel.

The only complaint I have with the D3 is that it seems a bit long to me and I sometimes wish I kept my D1. The shortness of the D1 means the DIN wheel does not allow the swivel to turn very far when hoses are connected. The D3 fixes this problem by putting the swivel further away on a longer regulator.

I think your actual question may be if you will regret saving money by going with HOG regs. If that is really what you are asking then I think you will be happy with them.

I think some of the HOG excitement has died off because the pricing used to be much lower a few years ago when they were actually underpriced for the quality. They are still a great value but just no longer a market disrupting value.

Yup. I got to dive HOG D3 w/ Zenith and Dive Rite XT in the same weekend. I ended up going with the HOG.

Price wise....ask around. Don't get me wrong, I went with the HOG because I liked them, but what tipped me in that direction (as opposed to Deep 6) is that I got a deal on them with a two gauge console that I couldn't pass up.

Get to know a dealer...don't just go online and buy through a website. If you need other stuff in addition to regulators, consider a bundle. I saved a good amount of money doing it that way.

@Jim Lapenta might be able to answer your question about the fifth port flow numbers.

Some more related reading for you: First Regs: Deep 6 Signature, DGX Deep 6, Atomic B2, or something else?

HOG D1s are out of production, but DGX got Deep6 to provide the equivalent first stages for them: Deep Six Regulators | Regs - SPGs - Hoses | Dive Gear Express®

DRIS also has what seems to be essentially a D1 first stage and similar to Classic, but upgraded, 2nds: Dive Regulators and Dive Octos - Great Selection of Scuba Regulators and Octos

That said, I've seen some very good listed deals out there on D3/Zenith w/ hose combos that end up near the same price as the DGX packages.

I've got D1s and Zenith/Classics for my son and I. I have just enough for 2 BM Singles and 2 ponys with a spare 2nd. I'm debating getting a couple of D3/Zenith sets or some Deep 6 Signatures for my BM regs - and I keep the D1s for spares and maybe future Doubles orSM
--- big question is : will Deep 6 be selling DIN signature 1sts for Black Friday since they can't seem to keep them in stock anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom