HOG D1 Regulator HP Ports Not Drilled Out - Zero Airflow, Zero Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it will take us too long? We didn't even know this happened! Did you tell the dealer who sold you the reg? Could you possibly get in contact with us. We will get you a new reg out right away, we'll want the one you got back please. Sounds like a factory issue but should have been caught in QA no question. EPLEASE contact us!Z

Best,

Chris
EDGE
404-579-7631

:thumbs_up: All the postings I've read by Chris have led me to believe he's a stand-up guy.

Why not give the guy a chance to fix the problem before calling his company out on a public forum? I can understand the OP's frustration, but mistakes will happen with all companies. I'm sure hog will get you taken care of, but to call their company out in a public forum instead of allowing them to fix the issue is lame in my opinion. Now, if you contacted them and they said screw you we don't care... that's when you take it to a public forum.

Why not give the guy a chance to fix the problem before calling his company out on a public forum? I can understand the OP's frustration, but mistakes will happen with all companies. I'm sure hog will get you taken care of, but to call their company out in a public forum instead of allowing them to fix the issue is lame in my opinion. Now, if you contacted them and they said screw you we don't care... that's when you take it to a public forum.

I take out the HP port plugs from my brand-new HOG D1 coldwater first stage. I install it on a tank containing 3,000PSI. I crack the valve. Nothing happens.

I looked, and poked with a small wire. The HP ports do not appear to have a hole drilled in them, for you know, air and stuff, to get out.

I must be missing something.

Please tell me I'm missing something.

I told them I expect them to overnight me a new FULLY TESTED regulator, at the same time that I provide a shipping tracking number to return the one I have now. I stressed how I'm new to diving and having something like this shipped to me without testing does not instill confidence. In anything really, especially my HOG equipment. This sucks, but I'm sure it could be worse. (Bold added by TomZ)

The OP is a new diver. His first post was asking if he missed something.

Personally I would have contacted Chris first, however I am also quite interested in how this problem is resolved (from a QA standpoint). From the OP's posts, it doesn't seem like he's bashing, just looking for a resolution to his concern. It sounds like he's eager to get in the water with his new gear.

cleared up in a later post.....

[-]what smells "fishy" is that Chris is only hearing of it first here.....

*******************WARNING**********************
PURE SPECULATION
******************WARNING***********************

If the vendor was contacted about the problem (and this is a serious problem), why is the manufacturer not aware of it? Seems that he would be the next to know. From my experiences, and with Chris and his chain of suppliers, he would, and would be immediately addressing it.

With that being said, I begin to wonder the source of this stage.... I begin to have sinister thoughts of "grey market", or "out the backdoor from the reject bin" sourcing.....

Too much isn't making sense.....

I'm just saying.......[/-]

Last edited:
Making him a happy customer and correcting the QC problem are two entirely different things.

Yes, you are correct. But I don't think quality control is of huge concern to the O P. He is more concerned about getting his gear in working order so he can get it wet. I was simply reassuring him that HOG would make it right for him as quickly as they can. I have had nothing but positive experiences with HOG & 3 of their authorized dealers. On the occasions that there has been an issue posted here Chris has stepped up & handled it professionally each time. I therefore have confidence in him & his company & have no qualms expressing that confidence to others.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2012 at 12:58 PM ----------

what smells "fishy" is that Chris is only hearing of it first here......

Exactly why I asked who the vendor was in my first post

Last edited:
The OP is a new diver. His first post was asking if he missed something.

Personally I would have contacted Chris first, however I am also quite interested in how this problem is resolved (from a QA standpoint). From the OP's posts, it doesn't seem like he's bashing, just looking for a resolution to his concern. It sounds like he's eager to get in the water with his new gear.

New diver or not... he should have contacted the company first. Think if you owned the company would you want him posting a mistake for thousands of potential customers to see? Or would you prefer he contact you so you could make it right without the bad publicity and you could fix any issue with the manufacturing side of things? The did I miss anything remark is off base, as he could have contacted the company directly to see if he was missing something. I just think it's very much common sense to contact the company first before posting on a message board. Give them a chance to make it right.. no?

Maybe I'm taking this too personal, as I own a very successful company. We are the best in the industry here, but to say we don't make mistakes ever would be dishonest. All companies make mistakes. I would prefer my client to contact me first if something is amiss rather than post it all over the internet.

New diver or not... he should have contacted the company first. Think if you owned the company would you want him posting a mistake for thousands of potential customers to see? Or would you prefer he contact you so you could make it right without the bad publicity and you could fix any issue with the manufacturing side of things? The did I miss anything remark is off base, as he could have contacted the company directly to see if he was missing something. I just think it's very much common sense to contact the company first before posting on a message board. Give them a chance to make it right.. no?

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, it is possible they contacted the shop that sold them the regs and not Chris directly. That would actually be the proper thing to do anyway. They should stand by their sale and deal with HOG after the fact. I am not saying that did happen, just that we do not necessarily know it did not.

If it did, then the shop is negligent for not contacting HOG immediately.

He contacted the shop that sold him the gear late last night(almost early this morning).... They didn't contact me until slightly before noon (they open at like 10 and have stuff to wade thru like we all do. We are all in the process of making it right.

Scuba regulators aren't cheap, and we are all aware these days to REALLY think things over before spending money. He choose HOG, a relativly unknown brand and then had a issue. I can understand the frustration that can cause, especially as no doubt he was excited to get his gear! i would have been disappointed as well. Plus he wants to get diving this weekend, it's Thursday already!

Let's cut the OP some slack, if we (EDGE/HOG) can't take people talking about our stuff in public, good or bad, we shouldn't be selling stuff!

As usual, you are significantly and actively engaged. My hopes are that this isn't a large batch problem as that would be a disaster.

Appreciate this comment! This is a bummer, but I appreciate a company that stands behind their stuff and is so actively engaged in making it right, and not worrying so much about people "talking about their stuff".

I'll put another +1 up for my Hog gear. After buying a bunch of used gear to get started, I came back around to replacing all of my regs with Hogs, and am in the process of getting another to finish off a doubles setup, as well as their singles wing. I have a really liked the products and they're at the top of my recommendation list to any diver (even though I'm still pretty green myself), especially new ones looking for affordable high quality gear.

He contacted the shop that sold him the gear late last night(almost early this morning).... They didn't contact me until slightly before noon (they open at like 10 and have stuff to wade thru like we all do. We are all in the process of making it right.

Scuba regulators aren't cheap, and we are all aware these days to REALLY think things over before spending money. He choose HOG, a relativly unknown brand and then had a issue. I can understand the frustration that can cause, especially as no doubt he was excited to get his gear! i would have been disappointed as well. Plus he wants to get diving this weekend, it's Thursday already!

Let's cut the OP some slack, if we (EDGE/HOG) can't take people talking about our stuff in public, good or bad, we shouldn't be selling stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom