HOG D1 Regulator HP Ports Not Drilled Out - Zero Airflow, Zero Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyrotrons

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I take out the HP port plugs from my brand-new HOG D1 coldwater first stage. I install it on a tank containing 3,000PSI. I crack the valve. Nothing happens.

I looked, and poked with a small wire. The HP ports do not appear to have a hole drilled in them, for you know, air and stuff, to get out.

I must be missing something.

Please tell me I'm missing something.

Both HP ports are identical - dead stop into metal. If it's going to take too long for HOG or the distributor to get me a working reg, I may just drill these out myself. With a Bridgeport Mill and 1/8" carbide end mill : ) They probably just forgot that line of code that runs a drill bit into it at the end of the machining process. OR didn't program it to go deeply enough. OR the material was thicker than planned, due to a screw-up elsewhere in the machining. Who cares really, I just like to talk about machining.

HOG zoom out.jpgHOG zoom in.jpg

If I were you, I would only be talking about an exchange for a non-defective unit. In addition, a mention of a lack of quality control might also be raised...

I told them I expect them to overnight me a new FULLY TESTED regulator, at the same time that I provide a shipping tracking number to return the one I have now. I stressed how I'm new to diving and having something like this shipped to me without testing does not instill confidence. In anything really, especially my HOG equipment. This sucks, but I'm sure it could be worse.

I for one am very disturbed by this lack of quality control. I was actually thinking this was a joke until the OP actually did post pictures. Sad, very sad indeed. There is obviously a procedure lacking both overseas and most disheartening, within the US when the product is received, then shipped to a consumer. For a piece of life support equipment like this, I believe this is an inexcusable situation. Am I being harsh? No, not at all. I own several of these regulators and this is not the first time there was a problem with QC, the very first problem was that rebuild kits were incomplete on a not so small scale. At one point, it took me 3 kits to get all of the parts to rebuild one 1st stage.

The other issue is who sold the product without inspecting and testing it? Most shops that I am familiar with always go over each and every piece of equipment, inspect it and make adjustments if necessary to ensure quality for their customer. In today's rush to make a quick buck, we have this as the end result. In my opinion, there was a failure at a minimum of 3 levels. I'll give you the fact that any fabrication process can go wrong, such as a drill bit sliding back into the chuck but 1) This should have never left the factory PERIOD. 2) When received in the US from the manufacturer, it should have been visually inspected and 3) Those that sold it should have never shipped it without a visual inspection and checking the operation/checking IP (not that IP was a factor for the HP ports).

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for the manufacturer. Lack of quality control for a piece of equipment this important is completely and totally inexcusable.

Tagged. Professional (QC) curiosity. Any process or procedure can fail. It's how the issues are handled that defines the manufacturer.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom