History of Diver Training

Diver Training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What skills would you resurrect from the dead if you could?

I'd like to see buddy breathing as well as swimming while sharing air.

I also think that practicing some drills at the rec level during training dives is better then ONLY doing the drills at a platform only when that skill is being done as a group.

Why restrict certain types of training to tech? A rec diver can lose his mask, etc. Now some agencies/individuals do this already but I'd like to see it on a larger scale.

I have yet to 'lose' a mask, other then the maskless swim, in any training thru DM (PADI) or in TDI Adv. Nitrox/Deco. Still searching for that instructor who will smack me around a bit.

there is little to no instruction to deal with current in a PADI OW course, we do not have any current in our lake so it is relatively difficult for me to teach it other than to mention some of the things to think about. so what. does that mean my course is insufficient? we do not have cold water, does that make me a poor instructor and my students unprofessional?

Snail, you are raising one of the oldest questions in diving instruction. It is part of why PADI exists.

A long time ago, for several years, I was the safety officer for our dive club in Panama. Part of the job was to interview divers coming into the area and make sure they would be safe going on our club dives. Not exactly sure of the number, but it was more than 500 and less than 1,000.

Basically, there were only two types of diving in Panama at the time, shore diving in the Atlantic and lake or boat diving in the Pacific. One can have huge surf, very tricky entries and the other has poor vis and major currents (from the 30+ ft tides).

Both have lots of things that can hurt you.

So someone shows up from Ohio or any of 30 other states without salt water). They have just been certified. I don't ever remember thinking their instruction was bad, that they had poor instructors. But one is faced with one of two realities:

1. They have their ow card, so they are skilled and competent to dive here.

2. They have a card, that shows they know how to use SCUBA gear, but they are completely unprepared to dive here.

It might help to know that roughly 85% of the accidents involved the 40% of divers that were trained in inland states.

Our club did not have any of those accidents, but we required inexperienced divers to learn first.

I never had a single diver complain about having to go thru some extra training.

Today, someone learns in a lake, drives over the to gulf coast and they get upset and or lie about their experience so they don't have to have a dive master with them on their first dives. Some of this is the fault of instruction, some our current attitude.

I dive less today than I did 35 years ago, but 35 years ago, I never saw a diver panic without a major, very real reason. Today, I see at least one every month, sometimes every week. Yes the conditions can be difficult for a new diver, but I am diving today in the same place I started diving. I am shocked at how many near misses I have seen in the last 3 years. I believe it starts with instruction that does not clearly let the diver know what they have learned and what they have not.

If you teach in a lake, you have made a lot of lake divers. If you teach in the Northwest, you have made a lot of cold, dark water divers. Like it or not, the skill set is not the same, and one happens to be way more difficult. Nothing to be proud of, or pound your chest about.. it just is what it is.

What skills would you resurrect from the dead if you could?

I'd like to see buddy breathing as well as swimming while sharing air.

I also think that practicing some drills at the rec level during training dives is better then ONLY doing the drills at a platform only when that skill is being done as a group.

Why restrict certain types of training to tech? A rec diver can lose his mask, etc. Now some agencies/individuals do this already but I'd like to see it on a larger scale.

I have yet to 'lose' a mask, other then the maskless swim, in any training thru DM (PADI) or in TDI Adv. Nitrox/Deco. Still searching for that instructor who will smack me around a bit.

I got my mask taken unexpectedly on a number of occasions in OW. My instructor knew I didn't like being maskless so he pulled it off. It depends on the instructor.

Why buddy breathing?

With or without the plesiosaurs?

I think my OW instructor might have been a plesiosaur. I was never quite sure if his elbow was *supposed* to have a loose hanging bit of flesh on it or if that was where the man-suit zipper started....

I don't think we should totally ignore the lessons learned but I don't think we should overly romanticize the past either. Sure there's something romantic about mining like the 7 dwarfs but using a pick and shovel and singing "hi ho, hi ho..." just isn't mining is about. Likewise, I think a lot of stories about how perfect scuba training was 50 years ago are akin to fairytales.

Have you ever seen some of the old Cousteau videos? I mean, that's what we're talking about.... and sure, they were cutting edge at the time but by today's standards some of that diving was 5 alarm strokery. I have 5 or 6 DVD's of Cousteau diving and some of it is just painful to watch.

R..

Be careful what you ask for. Any of us that have been trained as military divers know how to do that in spades.

I've had a mask lens broken while diving, had one removed by current (something around 5 -6 knots worth) and had my "buddies" play jokes on me by removing your mask at say 100 ft (and my air shut off, BC infated).

But don't think Ow divers need that level of training.

I have not read every post but I do not believe any of this was going on in this thread...

Ooops forgot to mention but no not in this thread as I mentioned it was in others. This has been good so far :) Thanks for the correction though :)

Buddy breathing I think can be a confidence builder and can help teamwork. Now one can say that in small case of several failures happening, you might need it, I think it most applies to the former.

For example, doing the DM with my wife, we did the buddy breathing swim/gear exchange. She did much better then I are staying calm. Started doing 2 breaths each, then 2 her and 3 me, then 2 her and 4 me.

I had us start over twice until I was giving her her due and sticking to 2 breaths each. Taught me to relax, be calm and give my buddy her equal share of air. I feel I'm less likely to be that 'guy' who would 'Act-Stop-Think' and 'Stop-Think-Act'.

and had my "buddies" play jokes on me by removing your mask at say 100 ft (and my air shut off, BC infated).

One of the first real "incidents" that I had under water was during the AOW course. I had.... I don't know, maybe 12 dives or so and during the first or second deep dive I wasn't paying attention and someone caught me in the face with a flipper.

I was 40 metres (130ft) under water and he kicked the mask clear off of my head and my regulator out of my mouth.

I remember feeling a little startled that it happened but just recovered it all and put it back on and kept going. No panic, No exploding lungs..... and no push-ups in full gear to prepare me for that reaction. Just a little common sense and virtually the same PADI OW course that students get today.

All of these stories about seeing panic attacks every weekend and such do surprise me, however. Where I live divers follow the same course as in the USA but seeing someone panic is a very unusual occurrence in my experience.

R..

Be careful what you ask for. Any of us that have been trained as military divers know how to do that in spades.

I've had a mask lens broken while diving, had one removed by current (something around 5 -6 knots worth) and had my "buddies" play jokes on me by removing your mask at say 100 ft (and my air shut off, BC infated).

But I'd offer the option if a student felt confident and was ready for it, for some it might be OW, others AOW, etc. Ties into the student should challenge the instructor as well mentality of mine.

I'm sure Boulderjohn is taking notes on what I'm typing since we are thinking of heading up to his turf north of me next year for some UTD courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom