History of Diver Training

Diver Training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whew...that's good to hear. For a while there I was worried that your generation might miss the rain forests mine cut down, the species we extinguished, the habitat we paved over. I was afraid that nuclear proliferation would weigh heavily on you, that the ubiquity of McDonalds and KFC would erode your tastes, that the automation of everything would rob you of employment and purpose. But I didn't even consider the other side of the progress coin: you have high-definition tv, ipods and itouches and iphones, and broadband. I had to grow up without that stuff. But if you're cool with your deal, I'm okay with mine. :wink:

Actually it's the fact that as a female, I have far more power than I ever would have had in the past, also the fact that health care is so much better, how much less violent the world is than it has ever been before, how much higher the living standards are than they were in the past than they have ever been in many places of the world... things like that.

But sure iphones are pretty cool too.

How about this for a new thread:

"How do we make the future of diving better?"

We talk about yesterday and today alot, what about the tomorrow aspect?

Wayne, what does a ScubaBoard survey show?

One survey not long ago asked what kind of BCD people used. The majority responded with Back Plate and Wing. A recent report dealing with the retail market, in contrast, showed that Back Plate and Wings account for less than 1% of the BCD market.

A very recent survey showed that the largest number of ScubaBoard poll respondants preferred ScubaPro Jets, with other similar fins not far behind. I see a lot of them when I am in caves and doing other technical diving, but other than that, not at all. I have been to vacation areas all over the world and seen many thousands of divers in that environment. I don't believe I have seen more than a dozen pair of Jets (or anything like them) on those trips.

Your poll is similar to the methodology used by Shere Hite in her famous report of female sexuality, and just as valuable in helping uis draw a conclusion. She placed surveys in various women's magazines and drew conclusions from the ones that people clipped out and sent in (4%). Here is a portion of summary of that method in the description in Wikipedia:

The suggestion of bias in some of Hite's studies is frequently used as a talking point in university courses where sampling methods are discussed, along with the Literary Digest poll of 1936.

One discussion of sampling bias is by Philip Zimbardo[8], who explained that women in Hite's study were given a survey about marriage satisfaction, where 98% reported dissatisfaction, and 75% reported having had extra-marital affairs, but where only 4% of women given the survey responded. ABC News and The Washington Post later gave surveys on marriage satisfaction to women in random samples; 93% reported being satisfied with their relationships, and only 7% reported having had affairs. Zimbardo argued that the women who had dissatisfaction may have been more motivated to respond than women who were satisfied and that her research may just have been “science-coded journalism.”

How about this for a new thread:

"How do we make the future of diving better?"

We talk about yesterday and today alot, what about the tomorrow aspect?

The future diving would, of course, be better if it was just like it was in the old days.

:rofl3:

I don't think much progress can ever be made on this issue. There will always be two camps..... let's call them the "plestimists" and the "optlimists"

R..

Just getting tired of the same old rhetoric putting people down.

I know the feeling all too well. For a while I would post in certain forums and rather then people come up with constructive ideas helpful responses I would occasionaly get people who would look for reasons to put others down whether it be looking for typos or just trying to find a way to make their self look bigger by pointing out others flaws.

But for the most part most scuba boarders are awesome people!

I know the feeling all too well. For a while I would post in certain forums and rather then people come up with constructive ideas helpful responses I would occasionaly get people who would look for reasons to put others down whether it be looking for typos or just trying to find a way to make their self look bigger by pointing out others flaws.

But for the most part most scuba boarders are awesome people!

I have not read every post but I do not believe any of this was going on in this thread...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom