History of Diver Training

Diver Training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Diver training has changed considerably over the past several years. How do you envision the training that you've received to-date with similar training courses in the past? How does today's training stack-up? Do you feel that you are better trained, or have received less training than divers 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago? Please explain why you feel the way you do. Why have the training requirements changed so much?

Based soley on what I have heard and read it sounds like classes are more of a straight to the point then they were reportedly in the past. I have heard many people say they spent days even into a month or more of training on skills in the past to where now it seems more like a show me once you know how to do it and well sign you off type of training.

I am fully confident that my training is fully up to date but I just hear so many horror stories of others. Then so many not so affiliated things get thrown in to the mix like some shops turn customers away because customers saved a fortune by buying on the internet. Now I will be the first to admit I try to go to my local dive shop first but if its a diffrence of 25 dollars or more then I have to make my dollar stretch just like the shops have to make a profit but this is away from the question at hand.

I think this question also can be viewed many diffrent ways though since there are literaly thousands or trainers world wide and each one adding there own unique touch to the training and some actually just looking for deposits in the there bank accounts which cheats students out of a good learning experience.

My classes have improved over the years. I've learned and I've applied what I've learned to make my classes better.

That's not what I've asked Walter. Does a Basic/OW class today prepare the diver as well as the same class that was taught years ago?

You'll get as many different answers as people have different opinions of what constitutes 'improved'.

I've seen changes in the last 6 years that I've been certified that scare the crap out of me. Shorter courses, less and less face time with an instructor, and more divers asking questions that they should already know.

My course today prepares my students better than my course thrity years ago did, and I suspect that Walter's is the same way.

Diver training has changed considerably over the past several years. How do you envision the training that you've received to-date with similar training courses in the past? How does today's training stack-up? Do you feel that you are better trained, or have received less training than divers 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago? Please explain why you feel the way you do. Why have the training requirements changed so much?

Compared to 40 years ago (or was it 50? :idk: ) I think the course material is more detailed, and there is more material to learn, but it is now divided into compartments, and today you have to take all of them (OW, AOW, Rescue, plus Deep, Nitrox, Nav,etc) to get what I consider to be basic training.

And then you can learn gas management (Thanks, Bob) and decompression diving to kind of round out the skill set.

Then, assuming you can handle yourself in the water, you are ... a beginner!:wink:

Well I can't answer the question being a new diver. But I was wondering what kind of training you are referring to in particular? Recreational, technical, both?

How do you envision the training that you've received to-date with similar training courses in the past?
The last training I received was just as thorough if not more so than the first training I ever received.
How does today's training stack-up? Do you feel that you are better trained, or have received less training than divers 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago?
I feel that I received different training than divers 40 years ago. I was taught to use such things like dive computers, understanding of deco (to the extent that we understand it), actually having SPG's instead of J-valves, etc.

I wasn't required to swim a mile (exaggeration) or free dive to 100' (exaggeration) but I had to show a reasonable level of fitness, competence and understanding in order to pass every class I've taken in the last 10 years.
Please explain why you feel the way you do.
I feel my training is adequate because I've yet to run into a situation that I wasn't able to rely on it, stay calm and reason my way out of. Even more so, because of my training, I seldom found myself in situations where the previous response was needed.
Why have the training requirements changed so much?
Since I didn't take training 30 years ago, I can't speak from experience. I suspect that it's changed because that's what the market demands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom