Historic Dive Gear / Scuba Shoes (not booties) / Info Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently acquired a pair of what were advertised on Craig's List as "Diving Shoes"; the seller indicated that he found them in his grandfather's attic in Charleston, SC. I received no further information.

The pair are made of iron, weigh 4 and 1/2 pounds each, and have the word "Billard" stamped into each shoe. I am curious to know if these were actually used for underwater operations, and if so, what year these m'shoes' might have been manufactured. My own on-line research has turned up no information regarding the possible manufacturer, Billard. I have attached three photos.

I would have expected any underwater shoe to be made of lead due to the much higher density of lead versus iron and the fact that lead would not corrode in a salt water environment.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Information?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2040_1.JPG
    IMG_2040_1.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2041_1.JPG
    IMG_2041_1.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2042_1.JPG
    IMG_2042_1.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 48
I may be wrong but I don't think they are dive related. All the hard hat dive shoes I have seen are lead. Possibly some type of job related safety gear. What work did the guy's grandfather do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom