Hinged fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some good points above....The fin isnt for everyone...Its great for getting in and out of a boat without waiting .....its great for getting in the water with shore entries.....It just makes it easier to put your fins on with no equipment and walk to the water, rather than do it in surges, rocking boats, with 30-40lbs of equipment.....

Pirate, no Im not affliated with Omega in any way.....I just really like the product and I am trying to get people to be able to try this.....My reviews arent the same as would be from some of you....why? Because I run an LDS(people think Im biased).....but I still only do quality reviews and carry what I believe in....

As for the warranty...there will be no need to send them in to get fixed....if you have a problem, you can just take it to your LDS and they will havet he parts to fix it for you and give you your working pair back in minutes....

As for the splits...they are going to make numerous blades that are interchangeable on the foot pocket....This is just the first design....Split options should be available in 6-12 months.....It could be sooner, I dont know....but this is what I was told when I asked...

Robert....let me know if you want to try a pair....we would gladly send you a pair to try out....PM me if your interested.....

I just spent five days on the Vision in the Channel Islands with a pair of prototype Omega Aquatics flip fins. I had a heck of a time finding them, but Mike at Dive Right In was very helpful, and I got them in time to use them on the trip. These WORK. On a crowded back deck with everyone trying to gear up, they were so convenient. I have a large, heavy camera and I didn't have to carry fins around; these fins allow you to concentrate on the dive before you instead of worrying about all the gear you're hauling around on the rocking boat. These fins are strong, very powerful kick and getting back on the boat was a snap. I have a regular set on order, and quite frankly, will get a set of the split fin version when they come out. The prototypes I used were very well worn, but performed without a hiccup, I'm looking forward to my new set.

I think these are a great idea. New technology keeps the industry expanding.

In the scuba community we have a range of divers with a range of different needs. We also have items of equipment to help different divers in their ability to reach the goal of diving eg the pro ear.
I am sure at one time a lot of people said force fins & split fins would never take off.

Not everyone will like it but I think its kinda groovy and wouldn't mind trying out a pair eventually.

As Robertarak said this would help him so what's the negative with that.

Is it expensive? Yes but then again its new technology, needs patenting, copy righting and is probably not produced in bulk right now to affect economic factors.

Dive Right In Scuba:
Robert....let me know if you want to try a pair....we would gladly send you a pair to try out....PM me if your interested.....

Of course I want to try them!
PM sent!
and thank you!

I tried them and I like them. Read my review here.

Dave

OK, I got my trial pair from Mike. I just got back from some pool time with them.

First off, they work as described! They are VERY easy to don and doff in the "up" position. I tried to lock them in several attitudes. The easiest is simply vertical. Horizontal is doable if you are a few feet below the surface. It only take a good kick to lock them in place, and once locked they stay locked. Unlocking them is going to take some practice. It's tough...looks easy, should be easy, not easy. I will give it some more pool time before this weekend when I will have to do it grasping a boat ladder in ocean swells.

After coming off split fins, I feel much more pressure on my muscles, but I expect this from any blade fin. I will say that they move you. The fin as a fin is very well designed.

All in all so far I like them. I plan on doing some more pool time then take them on a boat dive at Catalina this weekend. I will post a report on that.

Depending on how the dives go, Mike may not get these back!

OK....I inflated, held my reg in my mouth, and took the rather high stide off the Great Escape in my trial FlipFins. I hit the water, gave 2 kicks and felt both fins lock as I popped back up on the surface and gave my "OK" with a big smile.

There was a fair current as I made my way to the anchor line. The fins did really well. Once down the fins stayed locked even through current and kelp. They even had some power to them (they should, they are a pretty large fin). All in all, I was happy with how they performed underwater.

Now, it is how they did at the end of the dive that counts. This was the second of 2 dives that day (third dive was called due to weather). One dive 1, I wanted to wear my normal split fins for various reasons. At the end of the dive, one of my dive buddies had to help me get my fins off while I was on the platform, so I could get up the ladder. On my second dive, he was right there, ready to help again (thanx Rickster!) but I just clicked the release with the opposite heal and they folded right up. I got onto the platform, and right up the ladder, fins still on and folded up! It was great! I then got out of my harness, took off my hood and strated walking around the deck.....oops, I almost forgot to take my fins off! Yeah, they are that easy to walk in.

These fins just work, and work well! If they won't give me a pair for my testimonial, I guess I am just going to have to buy them!

More reporting.....

OK, I just spent 2 days at the dive park on Avalon (Catalina, CA). I got so many questions from people there, I figure it is worth another quick write up.

These are shore dives...sorta. You enter down concrete stairs into the water. I did my Advanced Open Water class in the flip fins. The only downside was that they are a bit more prone to catching kelp then other fins, but they work very well! They worked on every dive just as advertised. They are very easy to walk in and they swim very well, even with a frog kick. I did a 15 minute surface swim then a dive to 105fsw and never a cramp. They really do work. If you need these fins for any type of leg issues and have issues with donning or doffing fins like I do, these fins are great!

I've used them at the dive park as well, they are perfect for that place.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom