Hinged fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
Are they guaranteed not to break a couple thousand feeet back in a cave?

Are they any good at swimming backwards?

Is anything guaranteed not to break a couple thousand feet in a cave?:confused:

Actually, they are very good at going backward.....:wink:

Dive Right In Scuba:
Probably because he had an old prototype that had alot of problems. I have gone thru 5 sets of prototypes...all getting better each time until the one we have now with no problems.....All things have problems when they are "Prototypes" Thats why they arent production.....there is a big difference between what the prototypes were and what the fin that is now on the market(as of yesterday) is....

We helped with alot of the testing and suggestions and I can promise you that the new fin has none of the problems that the prototypes had....but again prototypes are for tweaking:wink:

Mike

One thing Im curious about though?? Why did they not give the prototypes to test groups to find out what modifications need to be made. Rather than handing out prototypes to LDS owners.

Whats really funny is my friend said the rep came in and basically said "Hey we want you to try out these fins and see if you want to carry them in your store." If he was handing out prototypes he should have come in and said "Hey we would like you to try out these fins and give us some feedback on them and tell us what we can do to make them better!!" Most companies that make ANY products us test groups to work out the bugs first, then release the product in a test market to see what the interest is in the product.

Were they just too cheap to hire a test group to test their product first?

The test groups were LDSs in the US. Plus, a reason we got so many prototypes was we did ALOT of testing EVERY Sunday at our local quarry with people from our area trying them. So the LDS is a great place to find divers to try a fin.

Are you just trying to troll the thread?

Too cheap? NO they sent out prototypes to alot of different places and LDSs in the area and the country. I have given prototypes to the Military, various fire depts., sent some overseas, and to other parts of the US, let alone our staff, customers and quarry participants....I think that is alot of testing just from us!

You ask if they were too cheap to hire a test group.....Didnt you test them? IF someone needs a Scuba test group, did you want them to go to the mall? NO, I would expect them to go where divers are......LDSs......Just because your LDS didnt utilize what they were giving is not my fault or the manufacturers fault...Please dont critize me or them for something we didnt do!

Im not your rep, I dont tell him what to say, nor do I work for the company....IM here talking about a product that I believe in...Is it right for everyone and all diving? NO

But it is an innovation that has been working and having great success in our area serving alot of different purposes.

If your upset with your rep and how he handled it....GO talk to him!! Im not accountable for how your rep and your LDS tried to use the prototypes they received......Dont get mad at us because we utilized our resources to make something become a great product and share it with everyone.

I think maybe the question is, did anyone at the company try these things first? It sounded like some of the initial problems were pretty obvious, and should have been addressed before bothering to show it outside the company, or at least to too many people outside. Sure you can put stuff out there and get lots of testing, but if it's too lame you run the risk of leaving a bad impression that will stick, no matter how many times you call something a "prototype."

Software is like this, stuff gets pushed out to beta test before it's ready, usually to "meet" a schedule. All the beta testers do is report all the same problems over and over you already know about, or should. By the time the stuff is actually ready for beta testers where they would add some value, they're tired of the whole thing and the time they wasted and you've lost some credibility.

Yes they did do Fin bend Stress tests...but that still doesnt mean that plastics can get a bad batch...which is what happened with a lot of the prototypes(one bad batch that got shipped out).....They found out where and how it happened, which didnt happen on earlier models(which I still havent been able to break :wink: )

Bottom line, even IF they have all the problems worked out, and this is a BIG IF. Nearly $280 something dollars for a pair of fins is outrageous. These fins should be sold in gadget stores like Brookstone or Sharper Image. Not a reputable dive shop.

I apologize though Dive Right in Scuba, with the way you were spitting out info I thought you were associated with the company.

Actually if Omega Aquatic wanted to improve the fin other than lowering the price they might try making the blade a split fin. The split fin blade would take some stress off of the hinges just like they do on a divers legs.

I saw these fins at Seaspace 2007 in April. They looked cool and turned heads. Of course, so do double-decker busses and low-flying helicopters.

But for $280, I think I can just remove my fins. And I speculate that the walking surface of these fins can't be very comfortable.

My issue isn't so much the price. It's an expensive fin for sure, but I'll still be able to eat if I buy it. BUT it just seems to me that it fixes a problem that I don't really care about. I don't think I've ever thought "I wish I could get up the ladder faster", even in surging water I don't think, nor "I wish that I could walk on the boat with my fins on my feet." Dunno maybe it's just me.

Furthermore it also seems to me that with the pivot point and i assume some sort of a "locking" mechanism that there are just more points of failure that even with a warranty to get fixed (after waiting to ship it in and deal with it), could still ruin a dive at any time, and be more costly if I'm in some remote part of the world.

If other people get them and like them though, then I'm happy for those people. I've certainly spent my fair share of money on stupid sports equipment technology... anyone want some rear-entry ski boots? :wink:

Just to through my 2 cents in.....
I have not tried these, but would love to. I would have to try them before spending that much on them, but there is something most are missing. If they really work, then they would be a Godsend for me, and people like me. I am partially handicaped from a motorcycle accident. I have very limited range of motion in my right hip, knee and ankle. I can dive and swin, but doning and doffing my right fin is always hard and sometimes dangerous. I had to be helped out of the surge on a beach exit recently because I could not get my fin off.
So to most people it looks like a waste of money to get up the ladder faster. To me, it looks worth every penny just to be able to get up the ladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom