Hinged fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lehmann108:
Those flip-up fins are ridiculous. Did you see the MSRP on them?
I have a good deal more than 25 dives, but I have to agree. Even if they work flawlessly and last a lifetime, they aren't worth any more than half of that price. The fins I have now work extremely well at roughly a third of that cost, and I've seen several pairs that are nearly as old as I am and are still pretty much as good as they were when they were new... better even, if you count the added spring straps.

I could get 3 pairs of brand new Scubapro Jets or a low-end DPV for the same cost, and I doubt very much that the flip fins are going to do the swimming for me.

Is that what the chief criticism comes down to? Price?

Have you looked at the prices of computers lately? Somebody's buying those $1k air integrated things, and other people are buying $200 ones. And they are both happy.

If the shoe fits wear it.:rofl3:

Lone Frogman:
Do the flip fins have a lifetime guarantee? What is covered?

Yes they do, and it's not just a one owner warranty. Straps and buckles are the only exclusions.

Lone Frogman:
I use my fins to move in the water not on land. So I do not understand why someone needs fins to walk with. My fins do perform well in the water. Yours perform well on the surface point taken.

Amphibians perform like a top pair of Mares or Cressi-sub power fins underwater.

And from boats, beaches or any other entry/exit point, they surpass all fins ever made for convenience and safety.

Lone Frogman:
Now that the fins are 25 years, I could afford to spend another 65 bucks for a new pair. But they are still working for me. If it works it doesn't need fixing.

My Jetfins would be 35 years old now, but I ditched them in 1979 for superior performing fins from Cressi-sub.

Yeah, I'm the Florida rep for Omega Aquatics Amphibian fins, and they will be great for many types of scuba diving.

Are they my most expensive pair of fins? No... I am ordering a pair of carbon fiber freediving fins that eclipse them by $160.

And I also use a pair of Cressi-sub Gara 2000 long fins for scuba spearfishing.

It's OK to have 3 pairs of fins in my arsenal.

Chad

When it comes to fins, the overriding criterion of choice is fit. After that, it's very much down to personal preference, informed by individual trial and error. It's about "chacun à son goût", i.e. there's no accounting for taste. I prefer full-foot rubber fins, the fins that were around in the 1960s when I learned to snorkel. I've tried others and I always return to my original choice because they're a comfortable classic design which suits my leisurely snorkelling activities. But what works for me may not work for others.

Fin designers have long been aware of the shortcomings of fins when worn on land. The blade gets in the way. When I started in the 1960s, the recommendation was to walk backwards when wearing fins. However, even then, there were people with the ingenuity to devise alternatives. One was the Caravelle fin, illustrated here:

http://home.a03.itscom.net/koda/AntiqueScuba/07_Feature/SPGear/17.jpg
http://home.a03.itscom.net/koda/AntiqueScuba/07_Feature/SPGear/P1010069.JPG

The blade could be detached from the foot pocket at the water's edge and wearers could walk up the beach in the foot pockets, their feet protected by the soles even if they weren't wearing bootees. The design may have had a lot of ingenuity for its time, but it wasn't a commercial success. Perhaps it looked too different from other fins of the time and divers can be a very conservative bunch exerting a lot of peer pressure on individuals to conform.

Amphibian fins may be the solution to a real problem for some people, while others will regard them as an overengineered response to an issue that doesn't really exist. What matters is that divers are allowed to decide for themselves what are the relative advantages and disadvantages of products on the market.

I have this fins and have used it for 18 dives, so far so good. Yes, it is not cheap (probably a bit overprice) but I do not regret. Excelent product, good quality material. I can't comment if this worth more than 100 bucks but It make my life easier either on boat diving or shore diving.

Glad to hear you like them and they fit :D They are already selling like hotcakes and I cant even keep them on the shelves...and they arent even for sale yet.....The prototypes are being sent all over the world!!!

Wisnu, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with....

Safe Diving,

Mike

Dive Right In Scuba:
They are already selling like hotcakes and I cant even keep them on the shelves...and they arent even for sale yet.....

Surprising, with such a high price !!
I love the idea, but I'm stopped for being so overpriced.

I own another "revolutionary" design scuba item: this Proear2000 diving mask, that keep your ears dry, and they are not so overpriced
9.jpg

:popcorn: Here they go again.

If they're selling "like hotcakes" then by definition they are not overpriced! I don't understand why people don't get that...

jds

Back
Top Bottom