Hi! Please Post Your Opinions on MY GEAR! and why? I would love to learn more.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to Scubabard HellRaZor.

Nice piece of kit, the only problems i have with it is the BCD. more specifically the weight integration.
I dont trust the integration system, ive found too many of those laying around the sea floor.
Personally seen it slip out of people's BCD's 3 times. (It happens to many brands but Mares in particular i find the most).

Im a firm believer that you should always dive with a knife (at least where i am due to ghost nets and fishing garbage), how ever you wont be fighting off any sharks so 99% of the times a simple line cutter for 20$ will get the job done just fine. - See this EezyCut for example , i thread mine on the strap of my dive computer.

In terms of the regulator its a solid choice, i have mine which is roughly 5-6 years old and its an absolute work horse, works like a charm after a fair bit of abuse.

Congratulations on your, if it keeps you diving it's a good deal regardless of whether you got a deal or not on the price. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. Now you have time to get in the water dive, learn more about your gear and what others are using, so when it's time to replace, you can make an informed decision based on what type diving you want to do and the wide range of gear available. Once one is knowledgeable, used gear can be of great savings.

Bob

I can feel your enthusiasm coming through as you post, it’s something that keeps me motivated as an instructor. If I may offer a suggestion, as you live in Rockville MD, you have access to a local shop that offers courses,training and advice that are unique in the diving world. Submerged in Rockville is an amazing shop with incredible staff that can help you in your journey in diving. I say this as I see many divers like you with a passion to be the best diver possible. Checkout their courses and use their knowledge. Keep on diving!

1. The time to ask an opinion about gear is BEFORE you buy it...you are not seeking opinion at the moment you are seeking validation/vindication.

Totally agree. This post is all about making you feel good about your purchases, not about helping you select the proper gear at a good price. You got answers saying you did great, others said you overpaid. So now what? It's really a pointless question.

That much being said I'll add my vote. I have equipped 4 divers with complete sets of gear over the past couple of years and most of the gear was purchased used, online. Good solid stuff from reputable manufacturers, including "fancier" stuff like wrist mounted air integrated computers and BCD mounted regulators for streamlining and one or two less hoses. Regulators are checked out and serviced as necessary by a tech prior to diving.

The cost is about 1/2 what you paid for your brand new gear, which is used once you splash for the first time.

Hello! I am I brand new diver, I only done 1 dive trip but completed the advanced course with 12 dives.
I have recently did a vast internet hunt and tried to buy as high end gear as possible spending a reasonable amount. Using massive coupons, price matching, and 1st client discounts.

Here It Is:
1.Paid: US$430 - Mares Abyss 22 (1st and 2nd stage) Original Price: US$690
2.Paid: US$90 - Mares MV Octo. Original Price: US$99
3.Paid: US$299 - Mares Mission Puck 2 Dive Comp. Original Price: US$399
4.Paid: US$209 - Cressi BCD Start Pro 2.0 Original Price: US$349
5.Paid: US$80 - TUSA Titanium Knife and sheath Original Price: US$95

Total List Price: 1633 ........Total Paid: US$1110

Let me know what you guys think, I feel like i stole it LOL.....
Thank you for your opinions. I cant wait to learn more.
Cheers
Hellrazor B-)

Glad you are excited about your equipment, but if you had asked for more advice before purchase, you would have likely made better long term choices. In any event, have fun and go dive.

Could you have gotten better gear for less? Sure Could you have spent more money on lower quality gear? Absolutely, and MANY have. Enjoy your purchases, go diving, and learn. Have fun!

I think you did very well with your first purchases. You will develop your own preferences as you dive more, and that may make you decide to replace some things in the future. We all go through that and I think that's OK.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to suggest that new divers can save a lot buying used gear. You certainly can save a lot, but new diver's just don't know what used gear is good and what has been trashed. Without a mentor to help make a decision, it can lead to some costly mistakes.

Regarding the octo holder thing, my personal preference is to use an octo holder that completely covers the mouthpiece. I just don't like the idea of the inside of the octo being exposed to algae, sand, fish poop, and broken jellyfish tentacles for the entire dive and having to put in my mouth in an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom