Hero3 Video Editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crux0724

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I've recently started playing with a Hero 3 and I was wondering about video editing software. I don't want to drop 600 dollars on software but I would be willing to pay a decent amount in order to get a good program. I'm wanting to shoot in 2.7k in order to get 1080p crops. I'm pretty new to video editing but I'm decent at photo adjustments such at WB and contrast curves.

Thanks!

Final Cut Pro X is $299. I am a FCPX instructor, and my students (kids and adults) always are able to pick up the basics of FCPX quickly - even with no background in video editing. At the same time, it is professional-level software that will give you plenty of room to grow. It gets a lot of hate in the film industry, but from my experience that's more because it is 'different' (especially in contrast to its predecessor) and less because it is actually bad. If you're looking for more specifics on FCPX, please feel free to PM me.

I have been using iMovie just to get an understanding of how to do it and work with the clips. Not sure if not has everything you are looking for, but for me it works right now.

Vegas Studio and Premiere Elements are 2 that I have. But I am by no means an expert.

What operating system are you using, windows 32 or 64 bit, MAC OS, or Linux (notice I didn't say what computer). What I have tried and works : iMovie and FCXP only run in MAC OS. Windows 64 bit: Power Director 11 and Sony Vegas Pro Windows 32 bit Corel Pro X5 and Nero 12 (not previous versions) and Linux Ubuntu Cinelerra (a studio quality software, free)

iMovie and FCXP are OK but unless you are running it on a dual or quad CPU i7 or Xenon workstation, they are slow and output is mostly for web applications. Don't know it they will import 2.7K

Know for sure Power Director 11 will import 2.7 K and is the fastest software out there running on a consumer i7 gaming computer, Sony V Pro 64 bit may give it competition but I kinda like the cheezy stuff with Power Director.

The only other that will import 2.7 would be Corel Pro X5 (I think) and it plays nicely with 32 bit OS but not nearly as quick.

I have experimented with Cinelerra a little and it has remarkable capability on a 6 core AMD CPU and good graphics card.

All in all, Power Director 11 with Color Director is my go to software but I am only an amateur and I have complained to Cyberlink that Color Director does NOT have histograms. This was done with Power Director 11 64 bit win 7 64 bit OS Hero 2 SRP BlurFix URPro CY filter for 1st segments, wrist mounted.

Maybe others can post video using different software

[video=vimeo;61394222]http://vimeo.com/61394222[/video]

I have experimented with Cinelerra a little and it has remarkable capability on a 6 core AMD CPU and good graphics card.
Until now, I've been using Kdenlive for my basic video editing needs and have had good success with it. I haven't heard of Cinelerra before, I'll give it a try.

What operating system are you using, windows 32 or 64 bit, MAC OS, or Linux (notice I didn't say what computer). What I have tried and works : iMovie and FCXP only run in MAC OS. Windows 64 bit: Power Director 11 and Sony Vegas Pro Windows 32 bit Corel Pro X5 and Nero 12 (not previous versions) and Linux Ubuntu Cinelerra (a studio quality software, free)

iMovie and FCXP are OK but unless you are running it on a dual or quad CPU i7 or Xenon workstation, they are slow and output is mostly for web applications. Don't know it they will import 2.7K

Know for sure Power Director 11 will import 2.7 K and is the fastest software out there running on a consumer i7 gaming computer, Sony V Pro 64 bit may give it competition but I kinda like the cheezy stuff with Power Director.

The only other that will import 2.7 would be Corel Pro X5 (I think) and it plays nicely with 32 bit OS but not nearly as quick.

All in all, Power Director 11 with Color Director is my go to software but I am only an amateur and I have complained to Cyberlink that Color Director does NOT have histograms. This was done with Power Director 11 64 bit win 7 64 bit OS Hero 2 SRP BlurFix URPro CY filter for 1st segments, wrist mounted.

Maybe others can post video using different software

[video=vimeo;61394222]http://vimeo.com/61394222[/video]

I run windows 7 -64bit
My computer specs are:
AMD 8350 (8 Core)
5gb samsung SSD
16g Ram
GeForce 560

I am definitely limited by my graphics card at the moment but it is still a solid card. Thanks for the info people but I would love if you would keep it coming!

premiere elements by adobe

Why is the rum always gone

Does premiere elements work with 2.7k? I have PowerDirector 10 and it just turns terrible with 2.7 processing

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom